Hints and Tips for playing TF2

A place to discuss strategies and methods of playing
diarmad

Post by diarmad » Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:07 pm

[quote="Replica";p="47357"]
they removed the teamate blocking in tf2, so if there is someone " on your team" that is prohibiting you from moving. shoot them.. theya re a spy
[/quote]

Oh, that's a good one! I knew it myself, but never thought to post it. In that same vein, if you are running around some where, and randomly "bump" into something where there is no visible model, chances are - it's a spy - OPEN FIRE!

I heard some one complainly loudly today that some soldier was "spamming rockets every where and making it impossible to play spy"....

WAY TO GO! Keep up the good work soldier!

Stevo
Everlasting Villun
Everlasting Villun
Minecraft name: StevoTVR
Uplay name: StevoTVR

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Stevo » Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:46 pm

[quote="Replica";p="47357"]they removed the teamate blocking in tf2, so if there is someone " on your team" that is prohibiting you from moving. shoot them.. theya re a spy[/quote]
That also goes for structures. If someone is jumping over a dispenser or taking a wide path around a sentry, they are most likely a spy.

If you have a spy problem, a good counter-measure is to place a dispenser near a sentry in an important spot, and have a pyro stand next to it and create a continuous stream of fire all around the area.

diarmad

Post by diarmad » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:18 pm

[quote="Stevo";p="47365"]
[quote="Replica";p="47357"]they removed the teamate blocking in tf2, so if there is someone " on your team" that is prohibiting you from moving. shoot them.. theya re a spy[/quote]
That also goes for structures. If someone is jumping over a dispenser or taking a wide path around a sentry, they are most likely a spy.

If you have a spy problem, a good counter-measure is to place a dispenser near a sentry in an important spot, and have a pyro stand next to it and create a continuous stream of fire all around the area.
[/quote]

Also works with heavy as well, however, I agree that a pyro is a better choice because they light the person on fire - which is a visible indication of the spy to every one else, instantly.

Zman
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Zman » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:27 pm

I would like to thank everyone for the great tips
Patrick: "I wumbo, you wumbo, he she we wumbo, wumboing, wumbology, they study of wumbo...come on Spongebob, this is first grade!"

Ronin
New Villun
New Villun

Ville Awards

Re: Hints and Tips for playing TF2

Post by Ronin » Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:09 pm

Ok ive seen a lot of scattered thing about the medic. oh by the way this is Ronin who played DoD alot and now can only play on weekends, story for another time.
1. Do not just heal 1 guy it very ineffective and it does not sever the team. try healing anyone whose hurt since it helps build up uber.
2.I feel there are two ways to play a medic. Offesively here are some tips. your healing ray has a larger range then most think so dont be afraid to stay back some or you can actually stay behind corners and heal if they dont go to far off. Also keep moving, a still medic is a dead medic. defensively you need to watch for spies and heal anyone who comes back to for aid.
3. Uber while you can uber diffrent players i found its much better to find a friend or skilled player that you know can get some good damage in.
4. The saw is one of the better melee weapons so it is a usable option
5. Get rockets and Demo guys to hurt themselves before a match starts or on your way to the front it helps uber build faster.
6. Always give a heads up before you use the uber so you get the guy your ubering to start off strong.

l3eeron
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by l3eeron » Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:41 pm

:shock: Ronin?!?!

holy crap good to see ya dude

Welcome home man, hope to see you around more!

Buzzy Beetle
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Buzzy Beetle » Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:08 pm

[quote="Ronin";p="48596"]
6. Always give a heads up before you use the uber so you get the guy your ubering to start off strong.[/quote]

Along that same vein, I'd like to point out that it's very useful (if you have a mic), while your an ubered medic, let your healee know when your Uber is about to run out. The only warning they get is an audio cue right before it happens, while you can see the remaining Uber power left in the bottom right hand corner. This gives your healee some time left to GTFO if they're in the middle of trying to decimate enemy defences.

Also along that same vein, let your healee know if your healing can't keep up with the damage they're taking (meaning: damage done > HP healed). It's a useful strategy when you really can't afford to die, or let your partner die.

TheCarpe
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by TheCarpe » Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:15 am

One I've found is helpful is to watch C cap on Gravel Pit when you are Red. If you've lost a point and are on your way to losing the second, watch for Red Snipers or Soldiers up there. Oftentimes, they're spies waiting to decloak once the second cap has been taken. Spy checking is never a bad thing to do.

Also, in Well, the 2nd and 4th caps are easily defendable by a Demoman. I've held off teams for several minutes by mining the point, and then chucking blind grenades at the entrances. Engi's are usually good about putting dispensers up in the rafters, so it's a good place to hunker down and play a solid defense.

Finally, my last bit of tactic is for 2Fort. If you're an Engineer and playing defense in the Intel room, place both your Teleporters on both the spiral and long stairs, about halfway up each one. They serve as early warning for approaching attackers. Few can resist destroying an undefended building and if you keep track of which tele is where, you can warn your teammates of an approach long before they even enter the intel room and from where, not to mention determine what class is coming by the weapon used to destroy it.

[Pug Patrol] Pimpin Fred
Villun
Villun

Post by [Pug Patrol] Pimpin Fred » Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:07 pm

Engie's place your dispenser in a spot right off a cornor, they can be great for demomen and heavys to spam multiple entrances when playing defense, Castle and Dustbowl are great places for this combo. In the second part of castle, right after the long stairs this can prevent everything except an uber, and you never run out of ammo as a heavy :twisted:

Also, this one is pretty obvious, do not stay covered. Stand up and let people ge the extra point for the headshot, specifically if I am online run around and let me kill you, or hide and try to stop me from killing you, after all Man is the Most Dangerous Game "Literature reference".
I need a new sig. :roll:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Pimpinfred

l3eeron
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by l3eeron » Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:22 pm

[quote="Ronin";p="48596"]
[/quote]

OMG :shock: Ronin

good to see ya on the forums...

I saw you on one of the servers the other day

TheCarpe
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by TheCarpe » Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:46 pm

[quote="l3eeron";p="48601"]:shock: Ronin?!?!

Welcome home man, hope to see you around more![/quote]

[quote="l3eeron";p="48601"]OMG :shock: Ronin

I saw you on one of the servers the other day[/quote]

?
Heck's Kitchen - TVC'08 & '11 ** The Axecutioners - TVC'09 ** Hale's Angels - TVC'10 ** CCCP - TVC'12 ** Ville Cuppin' Cakes - TVC'13 ** TheCarpetbaggers - TVC'14 CHAMPIONS

Stevo
Everlasting Villun
Everlasting Villun
Minecraft name: StevoTVR
Uplay name: StevoTVR

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Stevo » Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:47 pm

[quote="TheCarpe";p="60270"][quote="l3eeron";p="48601"]:shock: Ronin?!?!

Welcome home man, hope to see you around more![/quote]

[quote="l3eeron";p="48601"]OMG :shock: Ronin

I saw you on one of the servers the other day[/quote]

?[/quote]
He is saying hello to Ronin :wink:

TheCarpe
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by TheCarpe » Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:48 pm

lol I see that :)
Heck's Kitchen - TVC'08 & '11 ** The Axecutioners - TVC'09 ** Hale's Angels - TVC'10 ** CCCP - TVC'12 ** Ville Cuppin' Cakes - TVC'13 ** TheCarpetbaggers - TVC'14 CHAMPIONS

YevGenie
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by YevGenie » Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:25 am

Uhm as a sniper...keep strafing and change your movement patters/positions so that enemy snipers cannot hit you. Or dont...makes it easier :-p

[Pug Patrol] Pimpin Fred
Villun
Villun

Post by [Pug Patrol] Pimpin Fred » Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:43 am

For all you Engies out there, on CP maps build a teleport entrance ASAP and then run back to the supply point, its like a free teleporter. Doesn't work as well on the longer maps such as CP_Warpath in the begining, there I just scout the first two CPs, three plus if I can so how get past the enemy lines.

Scouts:Circle strife will kill about anything, except a pyro or SG, if you see a SG run and ask a Spy or demoman to clear it out.

Medics: Remember when your healing to switch the recepient when not in a fire-fight everyone loves the extra health. The little red crosses in speech boxes on your HUD go to them, On a CP map, when waiting as the spawn during set up, find a demoman or solider to heal, as they are the only two classes that can hurt themselves to my knowledge, your uber will be ready just in time. However, the demoman or solider need to know to hurt themselves. Too many times, will I be waiting at the spawn point as a medic and have four soliders tauting instead of damanging themselves.

All classes: if you lose instead of hiding to attempt to not get slaughtered, find a place with a good vantage point and taunt when you see the enemy. No one will kill you as a axe music playing pyro... until your taunt is over, this may save your life, as there is only a short time to get slaughtered.

Edit- Engie pt 2: On non-open CTF maps (great example CTF_TurbineV3) you will probably be reluctant to build teles, but you should. Especially in the Vents, the opposing team can't get past them, so when they get destroyed they act as an alarm for you and your teammates. Spys also tend to sap them, which informs you of their presence.
I need a new sig. :roll:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Pimpinfred