Hints and Tips for playing TF2

A place to discuss strategies and methods of playing
John Doe
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by John Doe » Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:10 pm

I dont know if this is obvious to people or not....

One scout on a cap point is like 2 of any other class, the point caps like there are two people there. 2 scouts = 4 people, 3 scouts = 6 and so on.

This is why the scout rush is so dangerous, and why killing the scouts is so important.

Gizanked
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Gizanked » Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:37 pm

one that should be fairly obvious... but if you are on fire, jump in some water. it'll stop the residual burning. as will grabbing any size medpack.
http://www.tf2items.com/id/evagizanked
the artist formerly known as Replica

Decay
New Villun
New Villun

Ville Awards

Re: Hints and Tips for playing TF2

Post by Decay » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:36 pm

Most of these are probably pretty obvious for many, but may help a few.

Soldier --> With the rocket, aim for your opponents feet. That crit shot does more damage when it hits the ground close to your target rather than wizzing by his head.

Don't forget about your shotgun. I don't know how many times a soldier would get me down to low health on his 4th rocket, then take the time to reload and give me time to send a couple stickey bombs in his direction.

Demoman --> Something I've noticed with the demo (and this may be just me) is the grenade launcher shoots grenades out to the right of your target reticle. So I tend to aim a little left.

Also, Demo's tend to have a great "fear factor". If your team oriented, you can lay a bunch of sticky bombs around an entrance, and most of the other team will go to another entrance where you can have turrets, soldiers, pyro's and whatever else waiting.

I think this may have already been mentioned, but put sticky bombs where the enemy can't immediately notice them. I always use the ceiling.

Engineer--> It's ok. Go offense! I really haven't ran into this problem on theVille too many times, but lots of times I see engineers waiting back back the last cp, when we're 1 cp away from winning the map. Always keep those teleports active too. I love them. Always use them. When your team moves up, move your turrets, dispensers and everything else up.

Spy check. Everything.

These are pretty much the only classes I've really played 5+ hours. I've tried a spy over and over...I just suck at it. :(

l3eeron
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by l3eeron » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:50 pm

[quote="Decay";p="45516"]I've tried a spy over and over...I just suck at it. :([/quote]

Its OK, not all of us were born to be back stabbing deceitful people.

FragFailure
TVB Leadership
TVB Leadership

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by FragFailure » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:22 pm

Free Tip: Just let me kill you and get over with it. Stop running as you'll only die tired.

Unfortunately the stats don't bear my bragging as true...yet

:P
TVB Founder - Established in September 2001

Carrying 4,219 high quality posts over from the old board

<eVa>Verman
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by <eVa>Verman » Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:20 pm

[quote="FragFailure";p="45648"]Free Tip: Just let me kill you and get over with it. Stop running as you'll only die tired........[/quote]
Bah! Never!!! :blah:

Buzzy Beetle
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Buzzy Beetle » Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:11 pm

Spies: Have certain telltale signs for certain classes (I'd like to try to find more if I have time and some help), so here are the ones I know.

Spy as Medic: Does not display an Ubercharge % underneath their name when you mouse over them.
Spy as Scout: Cannot imitate the Scout's fast but normal movement speed. At all.
Spy as Heavy/Solider: Cannot imitate either's slower movement speed automatically, and is an adjustment that needs to be made by the player (I have yet to test this, so I could be wrong).

Also! a cloaked spy cannot attack without removing their disguise, so from the same department as "a teammate who is wielding another weapon aside from the primary", an ally who fires their weapon cannot be a spy.

Medic: another little thing I've noticed is that while a Medic and their target are Ubercharged, they can't capture a point they may be standing on (it'll start to count once the Ubercharge has worn off). So, if your Ubercharged, it's best to try and focus on taking out the other team's defences, rather than capping.

Demoman: After awhile of usage (see: smashing into just about anything. People, floors, walls...) of your melee weapon (the bottle) it the bottom will break off. While this won't affect your weapon-based taunt, I'd like to say it does more damage, but I really don't have proof... I'd like to run some tests sometime if anyone's interested...

Will post more when I remember more.

diarmad

Post by diarmad » Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:15 pm

[quote="l3eeron";p="45195"][quote="StrontiumDog";p="45170"]
Medic
- Your UberCharge bar fills up faster while healing teammates who are already injured and not maxed out at 150% health.
- You don't have to be looking at your target to be healing them, so watch your back for Spies and enemy flanking maneuvers.
- The needles from your needlegun drop down fast after being shot so make sure to aim way over your target's head and to lead your target when shooting at them from any kind of length.[/quote]

- The needle gun costs uber to shoot
- Shooting an enemy doctor with the needle gun will drain his uber (I beleive only if you shoot needles loaded with your own uber)
- You can switch players while uber
- Dont "double heal" unless its absolutely necesary
- The bone saw rules!

* Tip for all the other players - Protect your medic![/quote]

I think your tip gets ignored far too often sadly.... :( As a medic, I often find that I am healing a soldier, or heavy, and they are more intent on killing who is attacking them then on keeping me alive. I don't think a lot of people realise how long it takes to actually charge up an uber. It's "only" about 30 seconds if you are constantly healing - a touch over a minute otherwise - the reality is often closer to a full minute.

For all you guys getting a heal - protect your medic! He is the one keeping you alive while you are getting blasted. We appreciate a quick glance over your shoulder now and again to make sure we still live.

For new medics - ALWAYS be healing some one. No matter what. If there is a team mate in site, heal them. This both charges your uber, and buffs your compatriot. However, watch for spies. If you even SUSPECT some one of being a spy, shoot first, heal second. If you see a spy that your "healee" doesn't, discontinue healing, and attack. If you get backstabbed, your healee will too - almost guaranteed.

And thanks to many of these little tips! I learned a lot myself. Going to have to keep an eye on my uber next time I pull out that needle gun though now. =\

merf
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by merf » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:11 pm

[quote="diarmad";p="46779"][quote="l3eeron";p="45195"][quote="StrontiumDog";p="45170"]
Medic
- Your UberCharge bar fills up faster while healing teammates who are already injured and not maxed out at 150% health.
- You don't have to be looking at your target to be healing them, so watch your back for Spies and enemy flanking maneuvers.
- The needles from your needlegun drop down fast after being shot so make sure to aim way over your target's head and to lead your target when shooting at them from any kind of length.[/quote]

- The needle gun costs uber to shoot
- Shooting an enemy doctor with the needle gun will drain his uber (I beleive only if you shoot needles loaded with your own uber)
- You can switch players while uber
- Dont "double heal" unless its absolutely necesary
- The bone saw rules!

* Tip for all the other players - Protect your medic![/quote]

I think your tip gets ignored far too often sadly.... :( As a medic, I often find that I am healing a soldier, or heavy, and they are more intent on killing who is attacking them then on keeping me alive. I don't think a lot of people realise how long it takes to actually charge up an uber. It's "only" about 30 seconds if you are constantly healing - a touch over a minute otherwise - the reality is often closer to a full minute.

For all you guys getting a heal - protect your medic! He is the one keeping you alive while you are getting blasted. We appreciate a quick glance over your shoulder now and again to make sure we still live.

For new medics - ALWAYS be healing some one. No matter what. If there is a team mate in site, heal them. This both charges your uber, and buffs your compatriot. However, watch for spies. If you even SUSPECT some one of being a spy, shoot first, heal second. If you see a spy that your "healee" doesn't, discontinue healing, and attack. If you get backstabbed, your healee will too - almost guaranteed.

And thanks to many of these little tips! I learned a lot myself. Going to have to keep an eye on my uber next time I pull out that needle gun though now. =\[/quote]

I know I am guilty of not watching my medics back every now and then :D I'm getting better though.
[img]http://www.guildeva.org/merf/mystuff/merf01.gif[/img]
[url=http://www.gametracker.com/server_info/209.242.10.135:27015/][img]http://www.gametracker.com/server_info/209.242.10.135:27015/banner_350x20_C692108-381007-FFFFFF-000000.png[/img][/url]

Dog
Server Ops
Server Ops

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Dog » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:37 pm

We were practicing this one the other night for fun, Silver, Blah and me......

As a demo on 2Fort:
On the balcony, fire two stickies, but not near the edge.
Run over them and beyond them and jump and press right click at the same time.
You will pipe jump across the bridge onto the opposite balcony. If you do it right, you can manage to do it with 50hp still left!

l3eeron
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by l3eeron » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:50 pm

a double pipe jump is incredible. Anyone whos been on the ol skool conc maps can easily pipe jump to anywhere they want... if one doesnt get you there, double up!

Gen.Ben
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Gen.Ben » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:40 pm

Sniper Tip:

As a sniper, it is amazingly easy to destroy an enemies Sentry Gun. All it takes is one fully charged shot with your rifle.
[img]http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z80/Gen-Ben/l3eeron/SMS_genben_sig.png[/img]

diarmad

Post by diarmad » Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:53 pm

[quote="Gen.Ben";p="46913"]
Sniper Tip:

As a sniper, it is amazingly easy to destroy an enemies Sentry Gun. All it takes is one fully charged shot with your rifle.
[/quote]

Also, snipers can see the guns, and still accurately hit them outside the guns range. It can be difficult for a sniepr to set up a shot, except on certain maps though. :(

diarmad

Post by diarmad » Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:08 pm

[quote="merf";p="46830"]

I know I am guilty of not watching my medics back every now and then :D I'm getting better though.
[/quote]

I enjoy medicing for you because you do often watch out for me. Some players will watch me get mown down without a second thought though. That seems pretty counter productive to me.....

Gizanked
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Gizanked » Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:37 pm

they removed the teamate blocking in tf2, so if there is someone " on your team" that is prohibiting you from moving. shoot them.. theya re a spy
http://www.tf2items.com/id/evagizanked
the artist formerly known as Replica