A place to discuss strategies and methods of playing
Maple Man
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Scout Wep Guide

Post by Maple Man » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:35 pm

You guys probably know what a Scout is already. He is a fast, annoying, squishy, damaging, and very annoying.
Here's some basic or even advanced guides of the Scout:
http://www.theville.org/forums/viewtopi ... =61&t=8916 Made by TTHREAZ
http://www.theville.org/forums/viewtopi ... 61&t=20167 Made by 6Larry9
Sorry if I didn't see some other guide about him. I highly recommend you give a read to these before scrolling down or pressing the down key.

Since they already have the basics of a scout and not all the new items, I'll be writing about the weapons that revolve around the Scoot, and possibly more derpy facts about him. Take these opinions like a grain of rice. I'm just one person who played Scout too much.

SCOUT LOADOUT CHOICES

Primaries:

Stock Scattergun
Considered the best Scattergun for numerous Scouts.

-Even though this is best at close to medium range, don't expect to win trade offs on a fat class head on. By head on, I mean pressing W and no A or D keys or rushing him when he is aware of you.
-Keep an eye on your ammo, not just your clip.
-Best primary to use in a Scout 1v1 due to it's utility and lack of flaws compared to other primaries.

Force a Nature/FaN
Has 50% faster firing speed.
Has 20% more pellets per shot.
Has a 66% smaller clip size.
Deals 10% less damage per pellet.
If one shot is unused before reloading, it is lost.

People with pyrovision and gibuses tend to use this the most.

-This makes Scout something I call, "A Fake Soldier". Decent jump propel, bursts people at close range, makes real Soldiers jelly, so they chase you even when they are ubered or kritzed.
-Can throw your aim off considering how you throw them 100 feet back depending on how you aim.
-Shooting when you're in mid air if you're 1v1ing can throw your momentum off.
-When you're locked in a Scout 1v1 while you have the FaN, try to end the trade off as fast as possible. You have a lack of clip compared to the stock.
-Remember how you can throw people 100 feet back? Don't send a heavy with crits in the middle of your team without any warning. Instead, make sure you're aware that your team knows that he comes flying.
-Note: With the increase in bullets, the damage dealt up close is more than the stock scattergun, but the damage dealt from afar is less.

Shortstop
Has 42% faster firing speed.
Deals 100% more damage per pellet.
Has a clip-based reload.
+20% bonus healing while deployed.

Has 60% fewer pellets per shot.
Has a 33% smaller clip size.
80% increase in push force taken from damage and airblast.
Draws from the same ammo pool as the Pistol, the Lugermorph, the Winger, and the Pretty Boy's Pocket Pistol.

This shoots Pistol shots, but I look at it as shooting Milk. No one likes reading confusing statistics, so TF2 cut off the majority of the stats.

-Keeping it simple, this shoots 4 pellets, each having high damage output compared to other scattergun pellets.
-Recommend to use a secondary that doesn't require ammo. Last thing you want is to be trapped with a melee.
-Technically, this gun deals decent damage from long range, so if you want to, spam it from across the map.
-This gun may have awkward aiming compared to the rest of the Scatterguns when up close. Could just be me though.
-Expect to fly much faster from random explosions or Pyros. If you know how to air-strafe, then you could use this to your advantage like flying into a heath pack or a friendly sentry.
-Got Milk? Even though the whole set bonus got removed, the combination still works pretty well considering the recovery.
-Try keeping a zone during 1v1s, especially if the opposing Scout is using the stock Scattergun. The Stock has the capabilities of dealing more damage than you up close.

Soda Popper
A hype meter is placed on the HUD when the Soda Popper is equipped. Running or jumping with the Soda Popper out will build up 'hype'; other weapons out will not build hype. After 13 seconds of running and/or jumping, the player can activate Hype mode for 8 seconds, allowing for 5 additional air jumps.
Has 25% faster reload speed.
Has 50% faster firing speed.

Has a 66% smaller clip size.
If one shot is unused before reloading, it is lost.
No random Critical hits.

Shooting Soda hurts more than you think.

-Similar to the FaN, it can burst people. However, you can't FaN jump or knock people back as far.
-Your meter charges while in Bonk State. If you're running or jumping during the whole Bonk time, then you can charge about half your meter.
-It's possible to activate the hype meter while in bonk state.
-Be creative, now that you have 5 jumps while in hype, try jumping to places where you never tried before. Also pay attention to the skybox.
-If you're using the #1 Fan set, you main gimmick is to jump as much as possible.

Baby Face's Blaster
Long story short, you start slow, you shoot people, you go faster. More detail:
Equipping the Baby Face's Blaster will slow the Scout down from 133% of normal speed to 86% of normal speed, making him the third slowest class while the weapon is equipped. A boost meter is placed on the HUD when the Baby Face's Blaster is equipped. Dealing damage regardless of weapon used while equipping the Baby Face's Blaster builds up the boost meter, increasing the Scout's speed to 173% of normal speed. The boost meter maxes at 100 points of damage dealt.
On Hit: Builds Boost
Run speed increased with Boost

-34% clip size
10% slower move speed on wearer
Boost reduced on air jumps

Trying to be Sonic the Hedgehog

-Before you use this, get fluid control with the Scout. Even as a derpy melee scout, it's best to get good control.
-Movement, movement, movement. Without it, using this gun will be painful and difficult.
-The amount of speed you can gain with this makes it hard for you to aim with this. At the same time, it makes it hard for the opponent to hit you.
-Try to abuse your speed to evade projectiles. Won't be easy if they know where you're going.
-If you can't win a Scout trade, you can either run or flank them very quickly.
-Get a pan with max speed, flank properly, and stalk a medic.
-By spamming the blaster from afar, you can gain speed relatively fast. You lose all your speed when you die, so be warned.
-Don't take the teleporter. You're still faster than a Pyro.

Personal Choice: Stock Scattergun. The rest of the guns are pretty fun, but when it comes to competitive...no.
Why?: In 6v6 and 9v9, being annoying isn't enough. Their scout will stop you dead in your tracks. Deathmatching comes into play, and a stock scattergun is the best to use in general for these. The rest are obviously viable for competitive play, but the stock is the most convenient. I suck in comp Tf2 but I at least know that :/

Secondaries
Pistol
Underestimated, usually replaced by a soda.

-Makes some Engis mad. Very nifty poke tool.
-Unlike the Engis, you have limited ammo on your pistol, so don't spam willy nilly with it.
-If you're lucky enough, you can kill people from across the map with this.
-Lugermorth is the same, but fancier.
-Basic stuff, finishes weak enemies, use in medium to far range.

Bonk! Atomic Punch
When used, the player is immune to all damage but is unable to attack. Knockback still affects the player.
The effect lasts 8 seconds and then has to recharge for about 24 seconds in order to be used again.
One of my favorite Scout items, and another attraction to pyrovision gibus people.

-Best used for either going behind enemies, or tanking the sentry for an uber/kritz.
-Get behind the engi and let the sentry kill him. You'll probably die, but it's fun doing so.
-Get derpy demos and soldiers to kill themselves.
-Keep track of time, the worse thing that could happen is the caffeine wearing off while you're in front of a sentry.
-If you know Physics (Tf2 Physics, not real), then use explosions to travel far distances.
-Can be used as a get-away tool, but an airblasting pyro could cancel the animation and reset your meter.
-Liquid is green and yellow, can't be too healthy to drink.

Crit-a-Cola
When used, all damage dealt is Mini-Crits and all damage taken is increased by 10%.
The effect lasts 8 seconds and then has to recharge for about 24 seconds in order to be used again.
+25% increased movement speed while under effect.
You kill fast, and you die faster.

-A Mini-crit deals 35% more damage, so technically you get the upper hand, but you still die fast.
-Don't feel presured when trying to aim. The effect lasts long enough to land 8-10 shots before ending.
-This could be used as means for bursting enemies or having an even stronger poke depending on what scattergun you have.
-Try abusing your speed boost, but you're the opposite of invincible.
-As awkward as this sounds, 10% isn't so significant, but it does show. (Ex. Soldier rocket deals 90 damage, you get 9 more damage when in crit effect. Either way, another rocket would kill you despite the effect.)
-Purple Juice looks more edible.

Mad Milk
Any damage (except afterburn) done to enemies covered in milk restores 60% of the damage to the attacking player's health.
Nullifies Cloak on enemy Spies.
Extinguishes fire on wielder and allied players.
Has a 24 second recharge time.
The Scout has a cow in his pocket.

-Similar to the Jarate, but it helps you and your allies survive while the Jarate helps kill.
-This only helps you survive if you land a shot on the milked person.
-Saves burning allies. Can't possibly miss.
-They can still kill you with milk on them.
-In Mann vs Machine, this will help your group with slows and surviving.
-This is on par with the stock pistol, many Scouts prefer this over the Pistol.

The Winger
Deals 15% more damage.
Jump height increased by 25% when active.
Has a 60% smaller clip size.
I CAN FLY :D Not really

-Fun Fact: This used to be underpowered when there wasn't any Jump Height boost. It still looks nice.
-A unique type of Pistol which could also be used for jumping.
-This works with the atomizer. (Correct me if I'm wrong)
-Try not to have this out against a Soldier, as he can predict where you land...or airshot.
-If you can utilize the jump boost, then this will be a nifty gun to use.
-Hurts a bit more when poking at Engis.

Pretty Boy's Pocket Pistol
+15 max health on wearer.
Wearer never takes falling damage.

25% slower firing speed.
50% fire damage vulnerability on wearer.

The Scout was never pretty to begin with.

-The +15 health can be a life saver as well as the falling damage.
-The reason this is paired with the Blaster is so you won't have to jump to take no fall damage.
-Pyros will kill you, so have a zone between them. Furthermore, don't turn the corner if you see a Pyro waiting.
-Compared to the Pistol, it may not be as successful when it comes to finishing weak foes.
-Best used if you don't mind the slower firing speed and there aren't too many Pyros.
-Can still poke at Engis :3

The Flying Guillotine
Can be thrown to damage enemies. Recharges after 6 seconds.
Causes Bleed On Hit.
Long distance hit causes mini-crit.
100% Crit against stunned players.

No random Critical Hits.
Look at the bodies fly after killing someone with this as a crit

-As you can probably guess, this is usually used with a Sandman.
-Recharges much faster than the sodas or milk, so you're allowed to spam as you please with this.
-After landing the Sandman ball, don't wait too long trying to aim the guillotine.
-Running closer to the target can help aim, but don't die doing so unless it was a good trade off.
-Not exactly a Pistol, so I hope you can aim with your Scattergun or with this in Scout 1v1s.
-Bleed can be either a start up or a finisher for your foe.
-The projectile has a slightly lower arc than the Sandman ball.
-By itself, it is still a viable weapon, even though is has more potential with the Sandman.

Personal Choice: I stick with the Stock Pistol when being independent from my team, and Bonk! Atomic Punch or Mad Milk depending on the situation for being with my team. Other secondaries are interesting, so I suggest you try them out.
Why?: Other than the ones I'd usually use, the rest are...derpy. Crit-a-cola and Pocket pistol get me killed faster, Winger is a downgraded Pistol except for jumping, and the Guillotine is only useful with -15hp due to the sandman. Basically, general usage. I like following certain actions alone and usually getting into DMs (Deathmatches), so that's what the Pistol is for. Milk and Bonk is for supporting them.

Melees

Pan is best Stock Melee. Ham got nothing on this :3
Take these opinions like a grain of rice.
-Jokes aside, Scout stock melees are supposed to annoy anyone you feel like. The speed will help you get out after panning their head.
-The fish and spy arm helps show if you really killed the dead ringer spy or not.
-Make sure the server has random crits so your pan/ham has 100% crit rate. If it doesn't crit, switch to something useful like a fish or boston basher/three rune blade.
-You can go w+m1 with the melee similar to the Pyro, except you'll kill less and die more.
-Unfortunately, if you're playing seriously or competitively, you're better off using your scattergun in close range. Only pull out your melee if you have no other option.

The Sandman
Alt Fire: Launches a baseball that stuns the enemy between 1–8 seconds, depending on distance. The baseball will recharge over 15 seconds, can be picked up from the ground after launch, or can be replenished from a resupply cabinet.
Lowers maximum health by 15 points.
Pyrovision Gibuses sometimes use this

-The baseball stun can greatly help your team or immoblize your target.
-Losing 15 hp can easily cause you to die to a single point blank explosive. Be careful.
-The ball isn't as instant as a bullet, so predict their movement if you're planing to launch the ball from a long distance.
-You don't have to launch the ball so far away to make it useful. It just makes the stun longer, and also more painful to reach.
-A normal use of this is to stun them quickly then buckshoot them in the face.
-The ball won't disappear when you stun them. If the ball hates you, it would go through the wall.
-Don't go out of your way to pick it up when the enemy is about to kill you.
-This has a taunt kill. Sadly, it's the slowest of all the taunt kills in Tf2.

The Candy Cane
A small health pack is dropped when the player kills an enemy, regardless of what weapon the player was using in order to kill the enemy.
Raises explosive vulnerability by 25%.
Merry Christmas...every day is Christmas.

-This weapon is basically a high risk, decent reward gimmick.
-The health pack can be picked up by ANYONE, so someone on the opposing team can take it too.
-Dodging is essential when 1v1ing a Soldier and/or a Demoman.
-This can still be used as a melee, just don't go ham with it when someone with explosions is nearly.
-Paired with the pocket pistol, being burned by a Pyro, the small health pack can save you
-With having the mentality of a small health pack dropping after killing someone, quickly picking it up and running away isn't the best option. Keep an eye out on where it drops. It heals you for about 26, while a few bullets or a rocket can surpass it.

The Three Rune Blade/Fancier Boston Basher
On hit: causes bleed to enemy for 5 seconds.
On miss, causes self-damage and bleed to the player for 5 seconds.
There should be a death counter of how many killed themselves with this.

-Looks misleading when simply reading this. By misleading, I mean people thinking that this is a direct upgrade to the stock bat.
-When using this on an opposing player, don't simply hold D. The registration is iffy depending on your ping, so there's a possibility of hurting yourself despite the hit registration sound
-If you have a competent medic, you can help build uber. Make sure he's actually healing you first.
-The Bleed doesn't stack, so using it as a hit-and-run tactic will make the most out of this weapon.
-Don't be surprised if the hitsound is heard, but nothing happens.

Guarantees Critical damage on burning targets.
Deals 25% less damage.
Guess sticks can hold the sun.

-In order to find use for this weapon, coordinating with a Pyro is a must.
-This can still randomly crit, if you're planning on using with without having a Pyro.
-A crit from this only deals 79 damage, but wailing on a burning heavy would take him down in about 3-4 melee hits.
-Very situational, make sure the Pyro doesn't kill them before you can. Other melees are more common than this.
-Needs some sort of buff. Not even the new players use this. It's like finding a unicorn.

The Fan O'War
On hit: one target at a time is marked for death, causing all damage taken to be mini-crits for 15 seconds.
Deals 90% less damage.
Never seen it used outside of Mann vs Machine

-The main issue with this is that you HAVE to be up close to them in order to make use of this. Even so, they can still kill you before you can switch weapons.
-Pretty much changes the Scout to a supportive class if you keep using this over your primary.
-Hit this on anyone while they're being shot at by others.
-In Mann vs Machine, don't wail on random other bots if there's a big one.
-Hit it once then run away is the tactic for this melee.
-I will slam a pan in your face if you attempt to do a 1v1 melee. That or get shot in the face.

The Atomizer
Grants the ability to triple jump.
Third jump deals 10 self-damage to the player.
Has 30% slower firing speed.
Deals 20% less damage against players.

Jumps become purple now. Can't be farts right?

-Despite being mediocre in attacking, it helps confuse opponents on where you will go.
-Also has a taunt kill.
-Keep an eye on your hp. Last thing you want is to use your 3rd jump with only 9hp left.
-The advantage of using this is the opportunity to continue shooting while jumping around.
-If you know the map well, combine this with a winger and you'll be able to reach certain places that would take a long time or impossible for a normal scout without needing to use the soda popper.

The Wrap Assassin
Alt-Fire: Launches a festive ornament that shatters causing bleeding. The Bauble will recharge over 15 seconds, can be picked up from the ground after launch, or can be replenished from a resupply cabinet.
Deals 70% less damage.
Still Christmas. The red blood represents jolly.

-Something they don't say here is that you can't pick it up after hitting the ball on someone.
-Despite the melee damage being utter crap, the ornament deals a decent amount of damage for a simple bleed. First you have to land the ornament.
-Essentially a free upgrade to the stock bat if you plan on never using it as a melee tool.
-Damage isn't as bad as the FaN, but there's absolutely no point in meleeing with this.
-Use this as a finisher or as an initiator. Bleed will put pressure on the type of scouts that panic.

Personal Choice: The only melees I consistently use are the frying pan and three rune blade. Honestly, ALMOST every bat has a use.
Why?: Each bat has potential, but usually situational, especially the ones that make you more squishy. Most likely, 2 scattergun shots kill a player faster than wailing with a melee. Which is why certain bats aren't even supposed to be used for killing. Bats like the Fan-o-War and Atomizer have use without actually killing with it much. Unfortunately, bat like the Candy Cane and Sun-on-a-stick's downsides are too big to ignore. DON'T TELL ME THE CANDY CANE HAS CONSISTENT USE. Get on Dustbowl. :< Also check if they have 4 Demos/Sollys
Last edited by Maple Man on Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:30 am, edited 15 times in total.

Maple Man
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Re: A Maple Talk About Scout Weapons

Post by Maple Man » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:36 pm

Think I'm done analyzing each weapon separately. I'll change my opinions about each item whenever they change.
Will add random item combinations whenever I get some random ideas.
Last edited by Maple Man on Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Joel
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Joel » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:17 pm

One thing to add about the Crit-a-Cola (and this is the same thing with the Buffalo Steak Sandvich): Damage fall-off is still in effect when you're under the effects of the increased damage. Before, it used to be that mini-crits are applied to yourself, and that has no damage fall-off.

Also, where are the melee weapons? This guide is severely lacking in fish. :)

Edit
Oh, and another thing, the Shortstop and Crit-a-Cola have incredibly good synergy. The former's range offsets the latter's damage intake when you stay back to pelt at your targets.

Maple Man
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Maple Man » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:29 pm

Joel wrote:One thing to add about the Crit-a-Cola (and this is the same thing with the Buffalo Steak Sandvich): Damage fall-off is still in effect when you're under the effects of the increased damage. Before, it used to be that mini-crits are applied to yourself, and that has no damage fall-off.

Also, where are the melee weapons? This guide is severely lacking in fish. :)

Edit
Oh, and another thing, the Shortstop and Crit-a-Cola have incredibly good synergy. The former's range offsets the latter's damage intake when you stay back to pelt at your targets.
Personally, I feel that's pretty much self-explanatory when damage fall-off is still in effect. Somehow, I never knew that there used to e no damage fall-off o.o

Bottom of the post says it'll be finished soon

I'll add something to the crit-a-cola about scatterguns. Is pretty true though. Forgot the cola can be used as a poke assist. :P

Kilgore Trout
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Re: A Maple Talk About Scout Weapons (Incomplete)

Post by Kilgore Trout » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:44 pm

I find fish is best. Makes squish sound. Wrapped in newspaper for sanitary. Is a fish.

Maple Man
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Re: ...Scout Loadout Stuff

Post by Maple Man » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:33 am

Started this in December and I'm still too lazy to finish this :3 Didn't even proofread it yet
Finish sooner or later

cam
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by cam » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:31 pm

well I thought it was a really well written guide but I might be biased because mape is my fav

ADevilishPotato
Server Ops
Server Ops

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by ADevilishPotato » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:45 pm

GET TO IT!
WARPATH Cup '12- [WARPATH] We are running past all the heavies
The Ville Cup '12- (DYD) Dirty Dan's Double D's
Dust Bowl loves Warpath '13- (CD-i) Chokepoints and Demomen- international (Champions!)
The Ville Cup '13- [T^5] Tuber's Truly Terrifying Tator Tots
The Ville Cup '14- GCI_ Guild of Calamitous Intent

F13ND
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by F13ND » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:06 pm

For a terrible scout like me, bfb with bonk and pan is fairly easy/fun to play: run real fast, shoot some guys, almost die, bonk, get health, repeat. Works everytime! (except when it doesn't)
You should finish the guide maple! Teach me how to scout!
Thanks Sparky!

Maple Man
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Re: Additional Scout Stuff

Post by Maple Man » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:37 am

I think I'm done :3 Took so long cuz of procrastination