Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Re: How Alex plays sniper

Post by YoullNeverWalkAlone » Tue May 07, 2013 10:12 am

Soltan wrote:
The Domer wrote:
MateoTheBold! wrote:...hoping for a crit.
I am dissapoint.
I do this quite often with my ubersaw. It works surprisingly well.
As the recipient of many of Soltan's crit saws, I can attest to how often it works. It is one reason I've tried to improve my melee skills. More likely to be saved from a bad situation with the saw, than with needles.
Thanks Sparky for the sig picture!

Walk on, walk on
With hope in your heart
And You'll Never Walk Alone,
You'll Never Walk Alone

The Truth--Justice--Remember the Hillsborough 96

Cat Square
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Cat Square » Tue May 07, 2013 4:03 pm

Soltan wrote:
The Domer wrote:
I am dissapoint.
I pretty much expect my ubersaw to crit

somedude
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by somedude » Tue May 07, 2013 4:35 pm

Soltan wrote:
The Domer wrote:
I am dissapoint.

Too well IMO! :P
My backpack holler if you see something you would like to trade for.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."

— Bertrand Russell (1872-1970)

MateoTheBold!
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by MateoTheBold! » Tue May 07, 2013 5:03 pm

somedude wrote:
Soltan wrote:

Too well IMO! :P
I've always wondered if the crit formula for melee weapons applies to a medic's healing target when calculating damage dealt to determine crit chance....

From the wiki:

Melee weapons are designed to crit far more often than ranged ones in order to encourage their usage at close range. Their base crit chance starts at 15% - higher than attainable for ranged weapons with the recent damage bonus maxed out - and their recent damage bonus scales from 0% to 10%, meaning a player that has done 800 damage or more in the last 20 seconds has a melee crit rate of 25%.

Warpath Cup- FU-2011, FAIL 2012
Villeympics- BB 2011, USAHB 2012
Ville Cup- HK 2011, SNES 2012, :TIME: 2013, CTB 2014

Larry
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Larry » Tue May 07, 2013 5:38 pm

That would make sense. If you have the damage numbers on, you can see your target's damage done to other people. I'm not sure if that means anything though.
Thanks to Seagreens for the spiffy banner!
VIEW CONTENT:
RIP Mr. Laptop 5/21/13
USAHB-Team Hand Brake 2012 Villy-Stuff
#HL3 TVC '13
FAIL Warpath Cup 2012-Proud to FAIL
Heck's Kitchen 2011

trilobite
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by trilobite » Tue May 07, 2013 6:35 pm

Alex wrote:Really not much about sniping pyros. One thing is they have sort of weird hitboxes, which makes them unusually difficult to headshot from behind. When they get you close, you're pretty much screwed unless you get lucky crit or jarate chop. If they're axtinguisher pyros, you're sometimes able to get away with taking out jarate, and waiting for them to switch to the axe. If you extinguish yourself before they hit you with the axe, you wont die, and you'll be able to finish them with jarate chop.
Pyros take note. If the Jarate comes out in close quarters with a sniper, airblast them away from you. Try to reiginite them and burn them to death or flare gun them from a safe distance. The jarate chop is terminal. From a distance across the map, strafe and harass snipers with the scorch shot (not the flare gun). The scorch shot will ignite them without a direct hit and put them off their shopping.

El_Hefe
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by El_Hefe » Tue May 07, 2013 8:22 pm

Alex wrote:Sometimes people ask me this. I also saw that other sniper thread and I have some input of my own. I'm really not a very good sniper, but I will try my best to explain stuff anyways!

These are part of my sniper config, they work well for me, but you can feel free to change them.
zoom_sensitivity_ratio 0.5
cl_interp 0.034
m_rawinput 1
m_filter 0
I've never changed anything like that... or tweaked it....

And where in your guide do you wave at them?

cam
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by cam » Tue May 07, 2013 9:16 pm

El_Hefe wrote:And where in your guide do you wave at them?

/thread

Joel
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Joel » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:34 am

I can never be consistent as Sniper. Sometimes, I'll do really well and get a lot of kills; at other times, I miss almost all my shots, and I'm barely making an inch at the scoreboard. :(

It could be that I'm using a simple $10 mouse from Walmart. It prolly also has to to do with my 90 to 100+ ping at TV6 and TV7. And also, I just never got used to sniping in some of the maps. For me, map awareness helps a lot in sniping.

Cat Square
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Cat Square » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:22 pm

Ghân-buri-Ghân wrote:I can never be consistent as Sniper. Sometimes, I'll do really well and get a lot of kills; at other times, I miss almost all my shots, and I'm barely making an inch at the scoreboard. :(

It could be that I'm using a simple $10 mouse from Walmart. It prolly also has to to do with my 90 to 100+ ping at TV6 and TV7. And also, I just never got used to sniping in some of the maps. For me, map awareness helps a lot in sniping.
Dude.
Get a real mouse.
Having a consistent relationship between physical mouse movement and your crosshair is key. You'll never have consistency with a garbage mouse.
A recommend the Razer Deathadder

Earthworm James
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Earthworm James » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:07 pm

Strafing to aim is a nono, but synthesizing movement with aim is better than not utilizing movement at all. The movement can negatively affect snipers with mediocre aim, but it is essential to combine the two, especially in counter-sniping.

Otherwise, all solid tips and reminders. For me, especially about disguised Spy hitboxes, so many times I could have sworn it was a clean headshot...but no.

Thanks for taking the time to put your thoughts and experience into the purple mass.

Earthworm James
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Earthworm James » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:09 pm

Cat Square wrote: Dude.
Get a real mouse.
Having a consistent relationship between physical mouse movement and your crosshair is key. You'll never have consistency with a garbage mouse.
A recommend the Razer Deathadder
Dat Deathadder so smooth. I been rocking the MX510 for almost a decade it would seem, a good mouse & relatively affordable.

Joel
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Joel » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:33 pm

A lot of people are saying good things about the Razer DeathAdder. I probably should get myself one then.

Alex
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Alex » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:32 pm

I can't speak to the deathadder specifically, but a quality mouse definitely helps. Make sure to use the highest dpi setting, adjust ingame sensitivity to be lower if it's too fast, you'll have smoother movement and avoid pixel skipping this way. I personally use the saitek rat7 as my mouse, I like that the laser is positioned towards the middle, rather than at the far end. Whatever you do, don't get something wireless, since it will likely add latency to your aim, and having batteries die isnt fun.
If this is your first Ville Cup, allow me to clarify that winning is way, way more fun than not winning.

l33tOMGlolz!11!shift
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by l33tOMGlolz!11!shift » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:05 am

Alex wrote:You're still allowed to bodyshot. If you know a target is low enough health, and you have the charge, you should definitely kill them however you can.
This always cracks me up when I'm on other servers than TheVille. I've had 12-year old kids try to berate me that I'm killing him with bodyshots 1/4 of the time. It's hilarious. Dude, you're dead I'm not. :clap:
Alex wrote: The stock sniper is the only sniper. No machina, no pee gun, no heatmaker, and probably not bazaar.
THANK YOU. I've been saying this for years. I was starting to think I was alone in that. For the most part the snipers job is to first kill the opposing snipers. All things being equal (sniper skills) these guys put you at a disadvantage immediately. I don't understand how people like them. Sniping is already enough of a challenge, making it unnecessarily difficult just doesn't make sense to me.
-OS/2