Soltan
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Medic is OP

Post by Soltan » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:13 pm

The medic is clearly OP, as I've mentioned in game a few times (keep in mind that I have over 3,000 hrs at medic). The syringe gun (of whatever flavor) is clearly window dressing for medics that can't heal anyone (if you can't kill someonone w/ melee then you should be healing instead). The medic's only real weapon is clearly melee. My own personal preference is obviously ubersaw but others are available. For me, anything other than ubersaw = medieval medic for the regen bonus. In contrast to medic, engies and spies are clearly under-powered. Engies have up to four ways to kill people at at time (three weapon slots plus SG). Spies are close with 360 degree backstab and near invulnerability w/ dead ringer.

cam
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Re: Medic is OP

Post by cam » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:34 pm

So I use the crossbow on my kritz medic and I'm getting pretty decent at hitting clutch arrows on teammates and enemies alike. I'm considering changing my overdose on regular uber out to a crossbow as well since I usually die to my own stupidity (getting headshot or backstabbed) rather than to someone I could be deterring with needles.

What do you think of the crossbow soltan?

Soltan
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Soltan » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:07 pm

The crossbow is a solid choice. I tend to get a bit to spammy with it though when I should be healing instead. The only time I use it is with the full medieval medic set for the regen bonus (hard to live w/o my ubersaw though).

YoullNeverWalkAlone
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by YoullNeverWalkAlone » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:25 pm

I die to often to warrant using the uber saw, and I'm terrible in melee to boot (my trackpad doesn't help). I find I have to use the vita, just to help me start back up at 20% uber after death. The crossbow is an interesting option, although Im not sure how good I am at hitting far away targets. How's the damage on it? I can usually do a fair amount of damage with needles and its shot speed.

If I can't go medieval, is it worth it to try crossbow?

Btw Soltan, it isn't medic that's OP, its just you. :wink:
Thanks Sparky for the sig picture!

Walk on, walk on
With hope in your heart
And You'll Never Walk Alone,
You'll Never Walk Alone

The Truth--Justice--Remember the Hillsborough 96

cam
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by cam » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:34 am

So the typical crossbow shot that I can (usually) make ranges from about 30 - 50 damage. It's good enough to pick off a fleeing enemy who's lit but its not consistent enough to justify using it as a defensive weapon. If a scout shows up while I'm all alone and I have the crossbow, its pretty much game over.

The Domer
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by The Domer » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:11 pm

I am a mummy wrote:So I use the crossbow on my kritz medic and I'm getting pretty decent at hitting clutch arrows on teammates and enemies alike. I'm considering changing my overdose on regular uber out to a crossbow as well since I usually die to my own stupidity (getting headshot or backstabbed) rather than to someone I could be deterring with needles.

What do you think of the crossbow soltan?
I like using the crossbow. It's pretty rare to make a clutch play, but pretty sweet when you can give an ailing teammate like 100 hp from across the map. Since I wouldn't really ever use any of the syringe guns anyway, it's a really solid choice.

Soltan
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Soltan » Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:52 pm

Melee (ubersaw) takes practice. I focused on syringe guns for first 400 hrs as medic. Ubersaw after that. I don't use the SG much anymore but I can still do damage w/ it.

cam
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by cam » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:52 pm

Soltan wrote:I don't use the SG much anymore but I can still do damage w/ it.
If I'm playing scout, I have to watch myself engaging you when you whip you ye olde needles. If its in a tight corridor and you have full health, its a pretty good chance I'm gonna die. And I hate it when you ubersaw me while im bonking out of spawn, too.

Bishop1342
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Bishop1342 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:40 am

My argument in favor of the needle gun or overdose is that it is better against good spies. Against crappy spies you can go for the ubersaw and it is all good. But against really great spies you are tempting a face stab or sidestab by getting that close to them. Better to hit them with a few needles and trigger the deadringer or get enough damage to make them back off. Of course the crossbow has its advantages, honestly, it is probably a better choice. I can't hit with it to save my life though, even with plenty of practice, So I am probably needles for the foreseeable future.

I agree with Soltan that the ubersaw is amazing, and I use it all the time, I do miss its 50% crit rate in highlander, but it is still pretty sweet with out it. You can get a slice with it and win a game. In fact, I just watched a 6v6 game where the medic got 3 ubersaw hits to get an uber and save the last point from being capped on Badlands, it was pretty awesome.

YoullNeverWalkAlone
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by YoullNeverWalkAlone » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:30 pm

So needle question gurus: am I better with the stock or with the overdose? I've been using overdose recently, but honestly can't see the speed difference. Is it even worth considering the blutsauger considering my reliance on the needlegun to do any damage (I do tend to put myself in bad situations and don't run away from my heal target as often as I should).
Thanks Sparky for the sig picture!

Walk on, walk on
With hope in your heart
And You'll Never Walk Alone,
You'll Never Walk Alone

The Truth--Justice--Remember the Hillsborough 96

The Domer
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by The Domer » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:00 pm

You'llNeverWalkAlone wrote:So needle question gurus: am I better with the stock or with the overdose? I've been using overdose recently, but honestly can't see the speed difference. Is it even worth considering the blutsauger considering my reliance on the needlegun to do any damage (I do tend to put myself in bad situations and don't run away from my heal target as often as I should).
Overdose is better. The difference in damage is literally 1, as in with stock each needle does 10 damage and the Overdose does 9 damage per needle. The speed boost might help you escape (remember to turn around and run, you are slower while running backwards!) Also, the Overdose speed boost is only in effect when it's the active weapon, which may account for you not noticing it. I don't think the blutsauger is worth it because of the reduction in health regen, but I also pretty much never espouse actually shooting with your needle gun (hence my previous post in favor of the crossbow).

cam
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by cam » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:43 pm

The Domer wrote:(remember to turn around and run, you are slower while running backwards!)
Just to toss this out there, strafing with A or D while backpeddling will also move you at full speed rather than gimp speed.

Cat Square
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Cat Square » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:57 pm

I dunno, I've gotten out of some seriously hairy situations with the blutslauger, also, pyros just plain get wrecked.

Snidely Whiplash
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Snidely Whiplash » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:41 pm

i agree with cat square, blutsauger is great for hallway maps like dustbowl; suddenly the front line goes down and a pyro is hot on your heels, run backwards and strafe while he gives chase, medic with blutsauger will win.

Soltan
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Soltan » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:44 pm

Overdose is sufficient for pyro snuff in Dustbowl tunnels and offers better regen and speed than blutsauger (a failed option).