The Domer
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

General Musings ~ A TF2 Guide

Post by The Domer » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:17 pm

Lately I've been making a concerted effort to improve my TF2 play. I'm putting my musings down for my own benefit, but I hope others can benefit by this as well. I'm intending for this to be a very basic guide aimed at solidifying the groundwork - after all, you can't build a skyscraper without a solid foundation. The following are meant to be general guidelines, not tailored for 6v6, Highlander, for pubs, or even for a particular game mode (with the exception of Mann vs Machine, which I am not discussing in this guide). I am, however, tailoring this guide for serious play and not for derping. I'm going to be posting a lot of facts in this guide, but I'm also going to be stating a lot of opinions. If you seem something factually wrong, please PM me or post in this thread to let me know; I'll gladly fix it. However, please don't get your undies in a bunch if you disagree with my opinions.

The first part of this guide is going to be a class-by-class breakdown. I'm going to go over basic facts about the class, discuss the particular niche each class fills, briefly touch on each class' counter class(es), and finally discuss ideal loadouts. In a second part to come later, I'll touch on a variety of general topics, little-known facts and tips, and scripting.

Scout
Basic Facts: Scout has 125 total hitpoints, buffable to 185. Alone amongst the classes, he posses the ability to double jump, allowing him to access hard-to-reach areas and making him more agile in combat. His base speed is 133%, making him the fastest running class in the game. He also captures at base rate of x2, making him ideal for capturing points and pushing payload carts.
Hard Counters: Engineer
Soft Counters: Soldier
Role: The main way to play scout is to work the flanks of the opponent. As a flanker, you'll be staying away from your teams main combat unit, instead trying to harass the enemies flank, providing a distraction while looking for isolated targets you can take out. All of this typically occurs as you are moving in to position to attack their combat group from the rear while they are engaged with your main combat unit. Flanker often works best with another scout, which is one of the primary tactics you would see in competitive 6v6. The real secret to success with scout comes in avoiding damage. You can pump out huge damage, but you're also incredibly weak. However, once you learn to dodge enemy attacks and you improve your aim, you will be a force to be reckoned with (just ask anyone who's faced off against Ruwin, who many consider one of the best players in TF2). The closest thing the Scout has to a hard counter is the engineer. While you likely won't be dying to him very frequently, his sentry guns can effectively deny large swathes of the map to you. With your low health, soldiers can often force you to back down with effective splash from their rockets. Beyond that, you'll just need to be wary of stray stickies and try to avoid closing within range of a pyro's flamethrower.
Best Loadout: Scattergun, Pistol, Basher/Fish/Atomizer
Your Scattergun throws out crazy damage at close range (105 damage at point blank), but due to the wide cone of fire, its effectiveness wears off as the distance increases between you and your target. As such, you'll want to be as close to your opponent as possible when engaging them. At medium range, use the pistol. It's more accurate than the Scattergun at that range, and actually deals surprisingly high amounts of damage (22 at point blank). Also, the first shot in a salvo is perfectly accurate and it takes 1.25 seconds to reset the bullet spread. I recommend the Boston Basher for melee as it lets you damage yourself to help build your medics uber and, in rare situations, allows for additional mobility through the use of basher jumps. Otherwise, you really shouldn't be using your melee weapon, since your primary is best at close range anyway. The fish is better than the stock bat, it at least lets you see through a spy's DR feign. I've little experience with the Atomizer, but the increased mobility and evasiveness offered by the third jump could be useful in the right hands.

Soldier
Basic Facts: The Soldier has 200 hitpoints, buffable to 300. While being the second slowest class in terms of running speed at only 80% speed, he is actually one of the most mobile classes because of the versatility offered by the signature "rocket jump."
Hard Counters: None
Soft Counters: Pyro, Sniper
Role: There are two ways to play soldier, commonly referred to as Pocket and Roamer. As a pocket soldier, you'll be sticking with your main combat unit. Your main job is to protect the medic and demoman while dealing out as much damage as you can. The pocket's role is pretty traditional; when you think of how most people play soldier, this is it. Contrarily, as a roaming soldier you will be staying away from the combat unit, working the flanks much like the flanker scout. You'll want to take advantage of the soldiers mobility (rocket jumping know-how is a must) to bomb key targets, usually the medic. One thing that is hard to get used to is the kamikaze nature of the Roamer. If you're getting healed by your team's medic, you're not doing this right. That said, health packs are your friend, especially if you can steal enemy health packs. You have 4 rockets. Use one or two to jump into position, then the rest to inflict as much damage as possible. For more info about roaming, search for Vhalin's guide (not linking due to nsfw language). Like the scout, soldier doesn't have a true hard counter. Pyro can reflect your rockets back at you, but with the shotgun you can chip away at their health, often causing them to retreat. You are vulnerable to snipers as well, with your lower walking speed and slightly larger head.
Best Loadout: Rocket Launcher, Shotgun/Gunboats/Buff Banner, Escape Plan/Disciplinary Action
Really the only rocket launcher worth using is the stock launcher. It does the most damage without any negative tradeoffs. In rare situations, the Direct Hit might be used to break a particularly thorny sentry nest, but taking down sentry guns is usually the job of your team's demoman. Some soldiers like to use the Black Box, but I don't. As a Pocket you'll be getting healed frequently, so you don't need the +15 heals; as a Roamer you need to be dealing as much damage as possible with little concern for personal longevity, which is contrary to the Black Box's nature. For a secondary weapon, I prefer the shotgun in almost every situation. More damage = better damage. The gunboats might be of assistance to roamers, allowing for more mobility and allowing for slightly longer longevity. The Buff Banner might fit nicely in a Pocket soldier's repertoire, but only if your team is working well together, both to take advantage of the buff, and to help protect you with your now reduced combat capabilities.

Pyro
Basic Facts: Pyro has 175 hitpoints, buffable to 260, and moves at base 100% speed. Pyro is (mostly) unique in the ability to deal Damage over Time with his flamethrower's afterburn. All flamethrower's afterburn lasts for 10 seconds unless extinguished manually. Pyro has the special ability to reflect projectiles and even forcibly reposition the enemy using his flamethrower's compression blast ability.
Hard Counters: Heavy
Soft Counters: Scout, Engineer
Role: Though many like to play pyro offensively, truly it is a support class; in fact, it fills the very epitome of a utility role. As pyro, you'll want to primarily stay with your main combat unit, constantly spewing flames every which way to make sure no enemy spy can get through to your core combat players. You'll also want to help protect your engineer. You have one of the most versatile abilities in the game in your compression blast. Compression blast allows you to effectively stall an uber single-handedly, it allows you to extinguish burning teammates, and it lets you reflect enemy projectiles (specifically all rockets including sentry rockets, grenades, sticky bombs, baseballs, ornaments, flares, liquid projectiles such as jarate and milk, all arrows and bolts, and cleavers). Finally, with the homewrecker you can knock sappers off of friendly engineer buildings. While the camera reel glory may be reserved for other classes, your ability to provide support to your teammates is unparalleled. Perhaps the most difficult aspect of pyro is knowing which of your many support roles to fill at any one given time, and you'll often feel like you need to be everywhere at once. As pyro you're weak to hitscan weapons. In particular, heavies can easily mow you down and scouts can chip away at your health while staying out of range of your flames.
Best Loadout: Flame Thrower/Degreaser, Shotgun/Flare Gun, Homewrecker
In most situations, I recommend using the Degreaser over the stock flame thrower, as the reduced fire damage is negligible considering that few people actually die from fire damage (especially on competent teams), while the ability to quick switch to the shotgun or flare gun dramatically increases your personal ability to finish off foes. Both offer great utility with cheap compression blast. I prefer the shotgun as a secondary, but truly the flare gun is a virtually equal side-grade. The shotgun allows for consistent hitscan damage, whereas the flare allows for critical kills on burning opponents. I recommend the homewrecker as a melee weapon to increase your utility.
Special Note: Many people think the Phlogistinator is a good, or even OP weapon. Contrarily, it's quite bad. You dramatically cut down your usefulness to the team for the occasional glory run when you get ubered while Mmmph is hot. Competent players know how to stop you in your tracks if you try to Mmmph without an uber, and you're ignoring your key role as the penultimate utility player.

Demoman
Basic Facts: Demoman has 175 hitpoints buffable to 260. He moves at 93% base speed, but he is actually the fastest class in the game when considering his uniqe ability to "sticky jump." With sticky jumping, you can easily be the first to the center point of any 5 cp map.
Hard Counters: Scout
Soft Counters: Pyro
Role: Demoman is a lean, mean, medium-range damage dealing machine. As demo, you'll want to be sticking with your primary combat group throwing out as much damage possible. And you can do it, as you have some of the most powerful weapons in the game at your disposal. However, note that I labelled the demo as a "damage dealing machine" and not a "killing machine." While it's true you will get many kills, that's not your primary goal. Your goal is to weaken the opponents and allow your teammates to finish them off with their more precise hitscan weapons (scout, heavy) and rockets (soldier). Aside from dealing out maximum damage, your primary role is area denial. A clever stickybomb trap can easily kill multiple unsuspecting enemies with a single click of the mouse, and the knowledge that sticky traps might exist can sometimes be enough to stall an enemy push until you've been dealt with. You are, however, weak at close range. Scouts who can close on you will usually demolish you (and you are often priority number one for them anyway). Pyros can reflect both your primary and secondary weapon, making them particularly thorny to deal with as well.
Best Loadout Grenade Launcher, Stickybomb Launcher, Bottle/Paintrain.
More so than any other class, the Demoman benefits most from using his stock weapons. They simply allow for maximum versatility and damage potential. Pipe grenades deal 105 damage on direct hit, and up to 64 even after rolling around. Each sticky bomb you place deals 138 damage. Several detonated at once can easily kill multiple enemies. They can also be airshot (exploded in mid-air) allowing for continuous, accurate damage. Finally, stickybombs allow for greatly increased mobility through stickybomb jumping. I recommend the bottle as a melee weapon. Hopefully any teammates who get too close to you can be eliminated by teammates, but the reliable damage with no negative trade-offs make the bottle a decent option in a pinch. You might consider using the pain train for faster capping while on the offensive, but note that it does make you more susceptible to your biggest enemy, the scout.

Heavy
Basic Facts: Heavy is the, well, heaviest class. He has 300 hitpoints and can be buffed to 450. However, you are the slowest class, moving at only 77% base speed. Moreover, you have a very large frame and a huge head, making you an easy target. That said, Heavy fills the "tank" role well, and with dedicated support, can be a beast that is hard to take out.
Hard Counters: Spy, Sniper
Soft Counters: Soldier, Demo, Scout
Role: Heavy is the tank class of TF2. You have more hitpoints than any other class and your minigun deals devastating damage at close range, but you are slow moving. The heavy often forms the core of the main combat group. You'll often find yourself with a medic buddy, and you will probably have one attached to you during a push - but don't think you by rights deserve to have one glued to you constantly. With your massive amount of HP you can take a bit more abuse while your medic heals your teammates. There seems to be a prevailing thought that heavies with medics are nearly invincible. True, they take a lot of abuse before dying, but if that combo was truly as powerful as many think, why is it not used in competitive? The answer is that the heavy has a surprising number of weaknesses. His slow movement makes you an easy target for enemy spies and snipers, and you are easily dealt with by concentrated explosive damage. Even scouts can take you down with 3 quick meatshots. So while you are powerful, don't forget that you have a myriad of weaknesses that can be exploited.
Best Loadout Minigun, Sandvich, Gloves of Running Urgently/Fists of Steel.
Bar none, the best primary weapon is the Minigun. Some things to consdier: each unit of ammo expended actually results in 4 bullets being shot, and each bullet deals 9 base damage. At full-spin, you shoot 10 times per second, or 40 bullets per second. At point blank range, you destroy everything, and quickly. However, the Minigun suffers from high damage fall-off and a wide cone of fire, rendering it much less effective at medium and far range (unless under the effect of a kritzkrieg, as critical hits don't suffer fall-off!). The only time I would consider a different Minigun is when attacking on payload maps. You can sit on the cart and cheese the Huo-Long Heater, using the cart's ammo dispensing to make up for the increased ammo expenditure. That said, I intrinsically don't like the idea of the Heavy having fire damage, and sitting on the cart like that encourages bad habits. For a secondary, pack the Sandvich. It's healing can save you or a teammate in a pinch. Finally, for a melee weapon, consider the GRU to help get you to the front line (but remember you'll be susceptible to mini-crits during and briefly after you use it) or the Fists of Steel to help reduce damage. You shouldn't be attacking with any weapon other than your minigun anyway.

Engineer
Basic Facts: Like the scout, the Engineer has only 125 hitpoints, buffed to 185. He runs at base 100% speed. And, his primary weapon is at best secondary on several other classes. But, the engineer is the only class that can construct battlefield buildings, providing extra DPS in the form of static Sentry Guns, extra healing and ammo in the form of Dispensers, and quick movement to the front line with Teleporters.
Hard Counters: Spy, Demo
Soft Counters: Heavy
Role: There are two main ways to play engineer. Both have much in common, but a few key differences. The first style is the level three sentry engineer, or defensive engineer. As a defensive engineer, your job is to build level three sentries to hold down key locations while your team is defending a point. In addition, you'll want to get level three dispensers to provide metal and healing, and level three teleporters so your team can get to the fight faster. The second style is the mini-sentry engineer, or offensive engineer. Like the defensive engineer, you'll be supporting your team by building level three teleporters and level three dispensers; however, unlike the defensive engineer, you won't have a static sentry. Instead you'll be placing mini sentries in unexpected locations to provide extra DPS for your team as they push on offense. One major mistake I see when people use mini-sentries is that they treat them like level three sentries. Mini-sentries aren't going to hold anything on defense (a single sticky bomb destroys one). But, they can be very pesky when placed to aid a push, or when put in unexpected locations. They build quickly and cheaply, so don't be afraid to place them aggressively. As engineer, your biggest threat will be enemy spies and demomen. Spies can sap your stuff, whereas demomen are very effective at taking out sentry emplacements.
Best Loadout: Shotgun/Frontier Justice/Widomaker, Pistol/Wrangler, Southern Hospitality/Gunslinger
For a primary weapon, I typically prefer the shotgun. It provides reliable damage without any trade-offs. The Frontier Justice is popular on offensive engineers, who stores up their crits and try to make picks, though I'm not sure it's quite the upgrade some people think it is. The widowmaker can be devastating at times, but can easily leave you without metal. It's best in conjunction with mini-sentries. For a skilled defensive engineer, your best secondary is the Wrangler. It makes your sentry really difficult to take out and allows you to shoot past its maximum range. Otherwise, I prefer the pistol. Finally, use the gunslinger if you want mini-sentries, and the stock wrench or the Southern Hospitality. I tend to prefer the Southern Hospitality over the stock wrench as I find the bleed effect useful for tracking down enemy spies, while the extra damage from fire shouldn't matter unless they uber a pyro into your gun, in which case you're probably doomed anyway.

Medic
Basic Facts: The medic has 150 hitpoints, buffed to 225. He moves at 107% base speed, making him the second quickest class in terms of running speed. The medic is the only class in the game that regenerates HP. He has a base healing rate of 3 HP per second, which scales up to a potential 6 HP per second the longer it's been since you've taken damage.
Hard Counters: Scout
Soft Counters: Soldier, Spy
Role: The primary role of the medic is to heal your team (shocking, right?). Your ubercharge is one of the defining points of Team Fortress 2. Especially in competitive play, the game revolves around the medic and his uber. Medic is an unpopular class at pub-level, but it's so vital to any team's success. I could write pages alone on how to play medic, but here are a few basic tips. First, always be healing someone. If you're not healing, your uber is not gaining any uber charge. Second, learn how to avoid damage, both through positioning yourself adroitly, and through learning how to move effectively while on the field of battle. Third, don't attack the enemy. I know it's very tempting to charge down a lone target and whack him with your ubersaw, but the medic should really only be attacking as a last resort. Do your job and heal your teammates; trust them to do their job, and they'll reward you in turn. Finally, make good use of voice comms. While important for every class, good voice comms are especially important for the medic, who often takes the role of the field general. Let your teammates know your uber percentage, alert them to any danger to your person, and be the one making calls about when to push and when to hold. Medic is often high on the priority list for all enemy class; in particular, watch out for scouts, who often will try to flank and make a pick on you. You'll go down in two shots if they get close enough. Soldiers may also try to bomb you, either forcing your uber or even potentially killing you. Finally, spies will be coming for you too. Have a pair of eyes on the back of your head; better yet, a pyro friend to protect you.
Best Loadout: Crusader's Crossbow/, Medi Gun/Kritzkreig, Ubersaw
Since I do not recommend attacking as a medic, the best 'primary weapon' is the Crusader's Crossbow. The potential for long range heals adds another dimension to the medic which can not be overlooked. If you're unwilling/unable to learn how to use the crossbow, the overdose is an okay alternative, as it can somewhat aid in your survivability. The Medi Gun is the best medic secondary, bar none. As mentioned before, it's one of the defining features that forms what TF2 is. In almost every situation, it should be used over any other medic secondary. Some stats about it: a healing target can be overhealed to 150% their base health. Try to overheal as many people as you can before a push. If everyone on your team is overhealed, it's like have 50% more people. At a base rate, it takes 80 seconds to charge your uber, and when popped, it grants invulnerability to you and your target for 8 seconds. If your heal target is already buffed, or is being healed by another medic, it takes 160 seconds to charge your uber. Conversely, at max rate (with crit heals) it takes only 40 seconds to charge your uber. What are crit heals? Well, the medi gun has a variable healing rate. In the simplest terms, the longer your healing target has been out of combat, the faster you heal them. A target who is in combat heals at rate of 24 HP per second. Compare that with a target who has not been dealt damage for 15 seconds or longer, who heals at a rate of 72 HP per second (this is the rate known as 'crit heals'). You can share your ubercharge with multiple targets - but know that each additional target reduces the charge duration by 50%. However, even if they only share the charge for a split second (or a flash), they remain ubered for approximately 1 second, which can be a very effective means of keeping teammates alive. A final tip: when you are at 97%-99% of your charge, call out a random voice command: this overrides your medic calling out that he is fully charged, helping to keep the other team unaware of your uber percentage. It's worth your while to occasionally switch to the Kritzkreig. When you activate your charge, your ubercharge target recieves guaranteed critical hits. When unsuspected, it can devastate a team. But, use it frequently and it becomes predictable, and easy to avoid/counter. For a melee weapon, I do recommend the ubersaw. Each hit yields a bonus 25% to your ubercharge. I do not, however, recommend using your saw unless you absolutely have no other options. Too often I see medics charging willy-nilly with their saw only to be cut down, dropped uber fizzling around their body.

Sniper
Basic Facts: Sniper has 125 hitpoints, buffable to 185. He moves at base 100% speed. The sniper is one of two classes known as "picking" classes (along with the spy), due to his ability to score guaranteed critical hits with scoped headshots.
Hard Counters: Spy
Soft Counters: Sniper, Scout, Soldier, Demo
Role: As sniper you want to take advantage of your ability to make long-distance picks to greatly weaken or kill key enemy classes. Take advantage of locations with long sight lines to effectively shut down approach avenues for the enemy. A good sniper with a little bit of support can easily lock down an entire area, allowing the combo a bit more freedom to focus on their task at hand. There aren't really multiple ways to play sniper, but there are different approaches to the class. Some like to sit back, scope in and let that scope charge fill up (450 damage on full charge kills all classes in one hit), and wait for the enemy to walk into/near the crosshair. You'll see this play style being used in conjunction with Machina snipers frequently, due to the boost that weapon receives on full charge. I believe that sort of sniping style is generally inferior to the other main style, quickscoping. To quickscope, you place your crosshair on the enemy, then scope and shoot. To pull this off effectively, you'll need good twitch reflexes and an understanding of your mouse sensitivity. Quickscoping also allows you to be more fluid and mobile, rather than static. You can bring the fight to the enemy rather than wait for them to come to you. Quickscope headshots deal 150 damage, so they're often not enough to kill a target outright - but with good teamwork and communication, you can alert your team to the players that are low on HP and have them finish the job (or vice versa). The stereotypical counter to sniper is spy. Really though, you're weak to all classes at short range, especially mobile classes who can close on you quickly. Either stay behind lines as a camping sniper, or try to utilize team support as a quickscoper.
Best Loadout: Sniper Rifle, Jarate/SMG, Kukri/Shiv/Bushwacka
I prefer the stock Sniper Rifle over all other options. I don't like the Machina because I prefer to not play the camping style of sniper. The Bazaar Bargain might seem like a great option if you have amazing aim, but unfortunately it's an inferior weapon due to uncontrollable factors. In order to make the Bazaar Bargain better than stock, you need to have three headshots in a row. Even the best snipers have to deal with lag differential, and you're likely to miss a fair share of shots because of it (plus, hitting an engineer building counts as a miss). The lack of critical hits cripples the Sydney Sleeper in my book. Remember, a death is a death, even a body shot - but, you should be going for as many headshots as possible. Jarate is a great option to use to support your team. A well tossed piss-pot can really aid a push with guaranteed mini-crits. If you're finding that you're dying a lot to enemies who are getting too close to you for comfort, then consider the SMG, which can put out a surprising amount of damage (only 8 damage per bullet, but 10 bullets per second). As far as melee weapons, your best bet is probably the stock Kukri, though the Bushwacka pairs well with Jarate (though you should be using Jarate to help your combo, not yourself), and the Shiv deals more damage over time than the Kukri, but I tend to prefer upfront damage rather than DoT, as I like to assume the enemy has competent medics and knowledge of health pack locations.

Spy
Basic Facts: Spyhas 125 hitpoints, buffable to 185. He moves at base 100% speed. The sniper is one of two classes known as "picking" classes (along with the sniper), due to his ability to score guaranteed critical hits with backstabs. Spy is unique in his ability to cloak and become completely invisible, and to disguise as the enemy team. He also can see the weapons of the class he is disguised as, allowing him to share that info with his team.
Hard Counters: Pyro
Soft Counters: Almost all classes, Snipers w/ Jarate, Scouts w/ Mad Milk
Role: Ah the spy. Probably the most overplayed class on pubs, but it's satisfying to 1-hit kill and really good spies can mess up your day (probably why every new player wants to play it!). There are many different ways to play spy, and almost all of his unlockables lend themselves to a different, and usable, strategy. His strategy also shifts based on the game mode you are playing. But the basic role is the same: get behind enemy lines and take out key targets. Key targets usually include the medics, the heavier classes (Heavy, Demo, Soldier), and the engineer and his buildings. A few general tips: Use your revolver. Too many spies forget that their primary weapon is the revolver, and it can really deal a lot of damage. Also, be smart about disguising. Don't always disguise as the same class, and don't act in ways that class wouldn't act. Generally, try not to be disguised for long, as no disguise will hold up for any prolonged duration of time. Finally: know the map. Know all the alternative routes, know where the metal packs are, and know where the enemy team is likely to be.
Best Loadout: There are many different load-outs you can use as spy. I'll discuss each in turn. A few bad weapons to avoid are the big Earner and the Diamondback.
My preferred load-out that allows for the most versatility is the ambassador, the stock knife, and the stock sapper. Note that the Ambassador is really only good if you can reliably hit headshots, otherwise the stock revolver is a very good choice that deals quite a lot of consistent damage (base 40 damage per shot). The red-tape recorder is a great alternative to the stock sapper, but tends to work better with good team coordination. Which watch you use will depend on the situation. Certain maps favor certain watches as well. With the invis watch, you can turn completely invisible and get behind enemy lines. Plan your route to include picking up the metal along the way to recharge/prolong your cloak. Once behind enemy lines, strike quickly. If possible, fade back out after you strike. Going for isolated targets helps prolong your life. The dead ringer doesn't let you cloak normally, but instead you'll feign death when taking any form of damage when active, and then cloak for a base of 6.5 seconds. That time can be extended via metal, but your 90% damage reduction phase only ever lasts the base 6.5 seconds. The DR also makes a very loud noise when uncloaking, so make sure you scan the area before you use it. Finally, the Cloak and Dagger allows for potentially indefinitely cloaking, as long as you stand still. While cloaked, it recharges while standing still, but drains extra fast while moving. Moreover, metal doesn't replenish your charge. It seems to be the preferred watch for new spies, but in actuality requires a lot of finesse. It's easy to fall into the trap of standing for too long, waiting for the perfect opportunity. A final option is the Sarahan Spy set. It requires the Familiar Fez hat, the Eternal Reward knife, and L'Etranger revolver. The Eternal Reward does not let you disguise - instead you instantly steal the identity of your victims (who leave no corpse and won't show in the kill feed). L'Etranger grants charge to your cloak with hits, at reduced damage. This set works well with the Dead Ringer, as the set bonus reduces cloak noise considerably. While using this set can be effective, I consider it derpy and as such won't be going into strategies for it.

Thanks for reading part one. Please let me know your thoughts! And, stay tuned for part II!
Last edited by The Domer on Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.

The Domer
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: General Musings ~ A TF2 Guide

Post by The Domer » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:18 pm

Part II of my general musings Guide.

In this half of the guide, I'm going to cover a variety of topics. I'm going to start by talking about in-game settings, discuss console commands, cover some lesser known facts, tips and game mechanics, and finally I'll finish with a section on scripting.

Settings
I used to assume that most people went through their multiplayer and advanced options to optimize their gameplay experience. I'm finding now that many people are largely ignoring the many accessible options built into the game. So I'm going to go through and discuss basic settings that everyone should be using. I'll also touch on a few additional options that you can use or not use based on preference.

Crosshair: Found in the options/multiplayer window. You can edit the size, shape, and color of your crosshair. Fiddle around with a few and see which you like. I recommend using a small crosshair with a high contrast color. This way it's unobtrusive, yet you won't lose it in the background of the game. Personally, I use the simple • with the color set to a very bright green.

Mouse Sensitivity: Found in the options/mouse window. Here you can change the sensitivity of your in-game mouse. Again, you'll want to find a sensitivity that works for you. Personally, I use a very high sensitivity (5.5). It's just what I'm comfortable with. But, one thing you should definitely do is turn off mouse acceleration and instead use raw input to maintain the highest accuracy.

Advanced Options
There are a ton of settings in here that many players don't use, but can offer a real competitive edge, and simply make the game more fun to play! First, I'll cover settings everyone should use. Then, I'll touch on settings that you may want to try out, and see if you like.

I consider the following must-use settings.

Automatic reload: With this enabled, your gun will automatically reload whenever you aren't shooting. It's very convenient. Less things to think about, less buttons to click, more time gaming!

Quick weapon switch: By default, you have to confirm your weapon selection within the weapon change menu. What a drag. Turn this on so you can switch weapons with a single press of key. Also, remember that by default "Q" lets you quick-switch between recently used weapons.

Hitsound: Turning this on will play a dingaling whenever you damage an opponent. You can modify this sound, I'll go into that in the scripting section.

Damage Text: With damage text enabled, you'll see the amount of damage done to your opponent over their head in text form (for example -102). You won't see the damage if you can't see the enemy though (which is why hitsounds are nice!). But, many custom HUDs fix that issue. There's a further option not easily found known as combat text batching, which is a great option especially for Pyros and Heavies as it combines damage done quickly into a large number, instead of a seeing a zillion -8s. I'll discuss this in the console section.

Autoheal: By default, you have to hold down the mouse button to heal. Enable this option and you'll only have to click once to heal, and your Medi gun continues to heal that target until the beam is broken or you switch to a new target. Greatly cuts down on finger fatigue.

Glow effects: Enabling glow effects grants the payload and intelligence a team-colored outline that you can see from anywhere on the map. It's very helpful to track down these items, especially when your intelligence is not in your base. The glow works similarly to the Scottish Resistance.

Viewmodel FOV: By default, your viewmodel field of view is set to 54. You'll want to maximize this. The most allowed in the options without going into the console is 70. A higher viewmodel FOV makes your weapon smaller, allowing you to see more of the screen.

There are also a number of settings you might consider trying. I use some of them, it really comes down to preference.

Disable Weather Effects: Checking this option turns off all particle effects mapmakers label as "weather" related. Can really help performance on maps such as Thunder Mountain. You probably only need to use this option if you see your FPS drop on these maps, or you have an older PC.

Enable Minimal HUD: Helps to make the HUD a bit less dense. I personally use custom HUDs, and I recommend you try them as well. This is a decent option though if you refuse to try a custom HUD but still find the default a bit too noisy.

Medic Autocall: Enabling this causes teammates to automatically call for the medic when they reach a certain (adjustable) health percentage (e.g., 50%). I've never used this, but some medics may like the option.

Healing Target: Enabling this option displays a little triangle over the head of the target you are healing. Can help in clustered areas.

Sniper Auto-rezoom: By default, your sniper rifle automatically rezooms after you shoot. You can turn this off if you would prefer to manually rezoom.

Sniper hide crosshair: If you enable this, your crosshair (whether default or custom) vanishes when you zoom in your sniper rifle, leaving just the target laser dot. I don't use this, as my crosshair is small and unobtrusive anyway.

There are a number of additional settings that you can check out as well. I highly recommend you go through and look at all of them and decide which you might like to enable or disable!

Console Commands
If you thought there were a ton of modifiable settings in the options and advanced options menus, wait till you start to explore the developers console. First, though, you need to enable it. To do so, go to options > keyboard > advanced. By default, the key to bring up the console is the tilde (~), located above the Tab key. To activate any of the following commands, you simply type it in as shown and hit enter.

There are a ton of commands you can enter in the console. For instance, all the options and advanced options can be activated/disabled by console commands. I'm only going to touch on a few really neat options that I think all players should consider. For a full list of all the commands, check out the Valve developer wiki.

fov_desired 90: Typing this into the console changes your field of view to 90. By default it's set at 70. Basically, changing this value lets you see more of the battlefield by increasing your cone of vision. I highly recommend everyone increases their FOV to 90. You can actually input any value between 65-90. The only reason to make it smaller than 90 though is if seeing more of the battlefield is causing your FPS to drop.

hud_combattext_batching 1: Remember earlier in the damage text section when I mentioned the further option that combines the damage text done by rapid firing weapons into a single large value? This is it. Instead of a seeing a zillion -8s, those values will be added together until you stop damaging. This doesn't affect damage dealt to multiple targets (for instance, splash damage from rockets still displays separately).

hud_reloadscheme: Sometimes your HUD will break, the colors will get messed up, or you'll get other weird glitches. Typing this into the console at any point reloads your HUD, often fixing those errors.

explode: Typing this into the console causes you to commit suicide in a shower of gibs. You can type "kill" as well, if gibs aren't your thing. Might seem likely a silly command, but there are actually strategies that involve killing oneself (for instance, to provide metal for an engineer to build pre-round).

zoom_sensitivity_ration x.x: This lets you adjust the sensitivity of your mouse specifically when zoomed in with a sniper rifle. By default it's set to 1.0. I currently use 1.2 to slightly increase the sensitivity to compensate for the adjusted FOV that zooming in causes.

record "demo name": This lets you record a demo (saved as a .dem file in your TF2 folder). Useful if you want to review your gameplay. Doesn't matter if the server allows replays, as it functions differently. Type anything you want the name of your demo to be after record (you do not need the quotation marks).

stop: Ends the demo.

net_graph 1: Typing this brings up your net graph, which displays various information such as your ping, your fps, your lerp, and your packet loss. Type net_graph 0 to make it go away once you are satisfied.

retry: Causes you to rejoin the server. If you are losing your connection to the server or lagging out, using this command retries your connection. Tends to fix client side connection issues.

I'm sure there are many more great console commands, but these are a few I could think of that I use. Let me know if you know any other good ones!

Lesser Known Facts, Tips, and Game Mechanics

Healing Ramp: Healing in TF2 is not static. It's variable depending on how long it's been since the healing target last took damage. The base minimum healing rate is 24 HP/s. Targets who have been damaged recently (within 10 seconds), or are being healed by multiple targets (e.g., two medics, a medic and the payload cart, a medic and a dispenser) are healed at this rate. If the last time your healing target took damage was between 10-15 seconds ago, his health is recovered at 48 HP/s. Finally, targets who last took damage over 15 seconds ago are healed at the max rate of 72 HP/s. This last rate is often referred to as "crit heals" due to how fast the target's health is recovered. Interestingly, this healing ramp was added into the game because during early testing, the developers found that people were killing themselves rather than retreating for heals, because it was faster than waiting to be healed!

Ubercharge Rate: Like healing, the rate at which your ubercharge fills up is not static. Targets who have less than 142.5% of their maximum health build your uber at the max rate. Only healing targets who fall into this category would result in you getting your uber in only 40 seconds. Targets with more than 142.5% of their maximum health half the rate at which your uber builds. Healing only these targets results in you gaining your uber in 80 seconds. Finally, if you are healing a target who has more than 142.5% of their maximum health and is being healed by a second source (such as a second medic, a dispenser, or a payload cart), your uber rate is halved again. Healing only these targets results in your uber taking 160 seconds to charge. As you can see, it's most beneficial to be healing targets who have low health. Sitting on one target who is overhealed is dramatically slowing your ubercharge rate down, and double healing a target is really killing your charge rate. Obviously, it's better to heal a target already being healed than to heal no target at all, but try to spread the love around.
The Kritzkreig and Quick-Fix build their charge 25% faster. The Quick-Fix in particular will likely always be building at max rate since it does not grant overheals.
The Vaccinator does not have variable ubercharge build rates. It always takes exactly 26.67 seconds to generate an uber, regardless of who you are healing.
During set-up time, all medi-guns heal at max rate regardless of the healing target.
The Ubersaw adds 25% to your charge for each successful strike on an opponent. For a number of reasons, including wonky melee detection and general smart play, I do not ever recommend the medic attacks an opponent unless he is completely alone and likely to die (even in such a situation dying may be preferable, as it leads to quicker respawn and thus your next uber is sooner), or he is alone with a bonked scout (as a bonked scout still generates charge when struck and cannot attack back).

Uber sharing: An uber by default lasts 8 seconds, with the ubercharge meter draining at a rate of 12.5% per second when given to only one person. However, the medic can freely share his Uber with as many targets as he would like, though each successive target increases the ubercharge drain rate by 50%. The ubercharge has a decay time of 1 second. So, even if you briefly flash your uber to another heal target, he will receive a full second of invulnerability. This can be very useful to save someone without causing your ubercharge to drain too quickly.

Capturing Objectives
Control Points: Control points capture in differing times, so I'll instead talk about capture rates. As a general rule, the middle point caps the slowest, while the first/fifth control points cap the quickest. Having multiple people capturing a point increases the rate at which it caps; however, the rate at which control points are captured exponentially decays. As an illustration, the first person capping causes it to capture at 100% rate. The second increases this to 150%, the third to 183%, the fourth to 208%, and so forth all the way to the 24th person, which would cause the point to capture at 377% its base rate. Because of this decay, it's generally unwise to ever have more than 4x capturing the point. The decay rate of the capture (i.e., the rate at which time on a point comes off for an incomplete capture) is inversely proportional to its base capture time, such that the quicker the point would capture, the slower the time on the point comes off.

Payload Carts: The payload moves forward when BLU team members are touching it. Unlike control points, the payload's movement speed is capped at 3x. Having 3x grants you 100% movment speed, 2x grants you 77% movement speed, and 1x grants you 55% movement speed. When it rolls backwards, it moves at 10% movement speed. Because of this, you generally want to have a scout and one other person (engineer or sniper is typical) move the cart while the rest of the team pushes ahead of it, preventing RED from setting up defenses. Employing this tactic can result in a good team capturing the final point on Badwater Basin in under 6 minutes.
It takes 30 seconds of not touching the cart before it starts to roll back. 5 seconds are granted as "overtime" when the round timer ends, though touching the cart resets the 5 second timer.
Don't forget, the payload cart acts as a level 1 dispenser, granting health and ammo to those moving it (as well as to enemy spies disguised as BLU).
On Frontier, the payload is replaced with a train engine known as "Lil' Chew Chew." To move it, one must stand on the platform behind the engine. Touching the mouth of Lil' Chew Chew will damage the player, increasing depending on the current capture rate of the cart (3x is instant death).
Fun trivia! The payload cart is designed to look like a "Fat Man" plutonium atomic bomb, like the one used on Nagasaki during WW2.

Intelligence: There are a few things to note regarding carrying the intelligence. Carriers cannot take teleporters or be ubercharged while they are holding the intelligence. Soldiers and demomen using either the rocket jumper or sticky jumper cannot pick up the intelligence. Spies cannot pick up the intelligence when cloaked, and will instantly lose their disguise if the intelligence is picked up while using one. Scouts cannot use Bonk! while carrying the intelligence, nor can the pick it up while under Bonk!'s influence. The intelligence takes 60 seconds to reset once dropped, whether by the player's death or by manually dropping it (default bound to L). If the intelligence carrier dies by certain environmental hazards (such as the bottomless pits found on doublecross), the intelligence is automatically reset back to its original position.
Players carrying the intelligence are visible to their teammates via a green, yellow, or red glow (based on their current health) that can be seen through walls.

Damage: The main thing I want to discuss in this section is the way damage is calculated, especially with regards to how fall-off and ramp-up works. It's a bit of a confusing, and more technical, mechanic. In the simplest of terms, damage is calculated as follows: (base damage) X (distance and randomness) X (resistance) X (splash damage modifier). I'll go through each segment of that equation now.
Base Damage: The base damage is simply that of the weapon. For instance, a rocket launcher has a base damage of 90. Where you hit the target does not effect damage, except in the case of weapons that deal critical hits on headshots.
Distance and randomness: This is the most complicated part. In the simplest terms, the closer you are to the target, the more damage you'll deal. The base value is determined at 512 Hammer Units (hammer units are the measurment unit in TF2). Being furthur than that from a target incurs damage fall-off down to a potential 50%, while being closer results in damage ramp-up to a potential 150%. Some weapons have a modified ramp-up, which actually limit their maximum ramp to 120%, while maintaining the fall-off. Those weapons are the Rocket Launcher, Sticky Bomb Launcher, and all Syringe Guns. Scatterguns have an increased ramp-up, allowing for a potential 175% damage boost. Moreover, the distance modifier for projectile weapons is calculated based on the distance between the attacker and target at the moment the projectile hits the target, not from the distance when the shot is fired. Finally, unless it's been disabled in server settings, there is a randomness variable of approximately 30% (85% - 115%).
Resistance: Resistances and vulnerabilities affect how much damage you might take. Multiple resistances and vulnerabilities stack multiplicatively.
Splash: Splash damage is damage dealt to a target caught within the explosive radius but not struck directly by the target. Unfortunately Valve has not release stats for splash damage, but know generally that the further from the explosion the target is, the less damage it will take.

Hit Detection: Hit detection is easily the most complained about, but simultaneously the least understood aspect of the game. I hope this section can illuminate this important mechanic. There are two types of weapons: Projectile and Hitscan. In general, bullet producing and melee weapons are hitscan, while everything else is projectile. Projectile weapons and melee weapons both use a generic large hitbox that completely encompasses the target (the same hitbox used for player collision). Hitscan weapons rely on fairly accurate hitboxes that more closely conform to the player model. Let's go over each in turn.
Projectile: Projectile weapon damage is determined server-side. This makes them particularly unreliable for players with high latency. Remember, what you are seeing is your client-side info, which is different from what everyone else is seeing on their client-side, which is further different from what is actually happening server-side. The lower your ping, the more accurate your client is to what is actually happening server-side. Projectiles are not affected by player physics.
Hitscan: Bullet weapons and melee weapon damage is calculated client-side. They are calculated instantly as either hit or miss (i.e. you don't wait for the bullet to travel the distance, it happens instantly in TF2). Because this damage is occurring client-side, weird things can happen that make it look like you were safe from damage but you still get hit. This is the reason why headshots can appear to miss yet still connect. More importantly, THIS IS HOW FACESTABS WORK. There is no magic trick to facestabbing, it's all an illusion that occurs because of latency differentials. Please consider watching this brief video by Stabby Stabby explaining in great detail precisely how facestabs and failstabs work. It's a great video, and the mechanics explained are true for all hitscan weapons, of which the spy knife is one.

Critical Hits: Obviously, most of this section assumes you are playing on a server with critical hits enabled. Critical hits always deal 300% of the base damage of the weapon, and do not suffer from damage fall-off. Melee weapons have a base 15% chance of becoming critical, while other weapons have a 2% base chance. This chance scales up depending on the amount of damage dealt within the last 20 seconds. The maximum rate is conferred if you have dealt 800 points of damage within the last 20 seconds. Having done so grants you a maximum 12% chance of a critical with non-melee weapons, and a maximum of 65% chance with melee weapons.

Scripting

Scripting can be intimidating at first; in fact, I didn't dabble with it for many years after I first started playing the game. I'm going to hopefully present this information in an easy-to-understand format so you don't feel overly intimidated. Also, please don't worry about using scripts. They are totally a legal part of the game, and in no way are they considered a form of cheating.

The most basic form of scripting involves editing the autoexec.cfg file. This file exists in your Team Fortress > tf > cfg folder. The file may not actually exist yet, so if it doesn't, simply create a blank notepad document and save it as autoexec.cfg. Just make sure the file extension is .cfg and not .txt. The game automatically reads your autoexec file when it launches, and executes automatically (get it, autoexec = automatically execute!) the commands within.

To make the scripts work, you simply copy and paste the text into the file. Text following // is not read by TF2, it's included to help you organize your file or to provide instructions in the event of a customizable script.

Now for the fun part: the actual scripts! The following are the scripts that I have in my autoexec file. I've grabbed them from a variety of sources, too many to name. I will mention though, that Fano's guide also lists some of these and a few others I won't be mentioning.

Null-movement Cancelling Script: At the very bare minimum, I recommend everyone use this script. Normally, two opposing movement keys are held (such as the A and D strafe keys) they cancel each other out and movement stops. So, for example you may be strafing right with D, and then press A to quickly change your direction, only to find you stopped moving if you didn't release the D key quickly enough. With this script, instead of your movement stopping, the game will only register the last key pressed even if you are holding down multiple opposing keys. Back to the previous example, while strafing right with D, you press A to quickly change direction. You start strafing left immediately even if you are still holding D. Please note that this script assumes you use the standard WASD movement. Edit that section if you do not.

Code: Select all

// Null-Cancelling Movement Script
//================================
alias +mfwd "-back;+forward;alias checkfwd +forward"
alias +mback "-forward;+back;alias checkback +back"
alias +mleft "-moveright;+moveleft;alias checkleft +moveleft"
alias +mright "-moveleft;+moveright;alias checkright +moveright"
alias -mfwd "-forward;checkback;alias checkfwd none"
alias -mback "-back;checkfwd;alias checkback none"
alias -mleft "-moveleft;checkright;alias checkleft none"
alias -mright "-moveright;checkleft;alias checkright none"
alias checkfwd none
alias checkback none
alias checkleft none
alias checkright none
alias none ""

bind w +mfwd
bind s +mback
bind a +mleft
bind d +mright
Hitsound settings: This is a fun little script that basically alters your hitsound so that the pitch changes depending on how much damage you deal. Small amounts of damage result in higher pitch pings, whereas massive damage results in booming gongs.

//Hitsound Settings
//=================
tf_dingaling_pitchmaxdmg 15
tf_dingaling_pitchmindmg 140
Scoreboard + Net Graph: If you're like me, you like to keep an eye on your net graph, but you also find it annoying to type in the console every time you want to see it, and you don't want it on the screen constantly. What this script provides is a compromise. It pulls up the net graph when you pull up the scoreboard (which is being bound to TAB in this script, but feel free to change that if you use a different key).

//Scoreboard + Net Graph
//======================
alias "+sb" "+showscores; net_graph 1";
alias "-sb" "-showscores; net_graph 0";
bind "tab" "+sb";
Ragdolls and Gibs: The following two scripts respectively deactivate ragdolls and gibs. When someone dies, they will simply disappear. It serves two functions: one, you'll seen an increase in FPS, and two, you'll be a lot less distracted by dead bodies flopping everywhere and giblets exploding in your face.

// Disable ragdolls
//======================
cl_ragdoll_fade_time "0"
cl_ragdoll_forcefade "1"
cl_ragdoll_physics_enable "0"
g_ragdoll_fadespeed "0"
g_ragdoll_lvfadespeed "0"
ragdoll_sleepaftertime "0"

// Disable gibs
//======================
cl_phys_props_enable "0"
cl_phys_props_max "0"
props_break_max_pieces "0"
r_propsmaxdist "1"
violence_ablood "0"
violence_agibs "0"
violence_hblood "0"
violence_hgibs "0"
Last edited by The Domer on Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:43 pm, edited 5 times in total.

TheCarpe
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by TheCarpe » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:32 pm

I would argue that the Engineer is the hard counter to Scouts, as a competent Engineer with a good setup will effectively deny a Scout from a large area and there is little to nothing the Scout himself can do about it.
Heck's Kitchen - TVC'08 & '11 ** The Axecutioners - TVC'09 ** Hale's Angels - TVC'10 ** CCCP - TVC'12 ** Ville Cuppin' Cakes - TVC'13 ** TheCarpetbaggers - TVC'14 CHAMPIONS

TTHREAZ
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by TTHREAZ » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:14 pm

The Domer wrote:Best Loadout: Scattergun, Pistol, Basher/Fish/Atomizer
While I agree with you on the Scattergun, I have to ask why the Sandman and Guillotine combo hadn't been mentioned. The amount of damage you can lay out with it is absolutely absurd. You can literally bonk a Heavy, hit him with the Guillotine and down him with one Scattergun shot.

If you consider the combo as derp, then I understand. I disagree with you but understand. :P

Larry
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Larry » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:05 pm

I'm not sure about crit/spread servers, but I think the max a scattergun can do in one shot is 104 with out any add ons or anything. That's all very trival though :). It looks good though. Great work.
Thanks to Seagreens for the spiffy banner!
VIEW CONTENT:
RIP Mr. Laptop 5/21/13
USAHB-Team Hand Brake 2012 Villy-Stuff
#HL3 TVC '13
FAIL Warpath Cup 2012-Proud to FAIL
Heck's Kitchen 2011

majine3765
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by majine3765 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:58 pm

Looks like a great start for anyone that is unsure of where to start. I even gained a little about using crossbow with medic. For whatever reason it never occurred to me to use the crossbow.

Soltan
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Soltan » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:44 pm

I've tried the crossbow but generally prefer overdose. I basically view my ubersaw as my only medigun alternative. Probably not typical for most medics though.

Zork Nemesis
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Zork Nemesis » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:43 pm

TTHREAZ wrote:
While I agree with you on the Scattergun, I have to ask why the Sandman and Guillotine combo hadn't been mentioned.
If I may, Sandman/Guillotine, while it does a crap ton of damage (195 plus bleeding under optimal conditions: 45 crit baseball + 150 crit cleaver), it takes a decent amount of accuracy and practice to make it work, and if you miss with the baseball, the whole thing is moot. The baseball takes three times longer to charge than the cleaver and the cleaver itself is pretty awkward to throw. Practice makes perfect for any loadout, but due to the projectile mechanics and required synergy, these two take a bit more than most other loadouts.
Concerning the fish, why would you put the fish over a stock bat or alternative variant? I know that the two are identical in function, but the fish is much more blatant since it registers the kill feed on each hit. You use spies as your reason, but (believe it or not) not every spy is a dead ringer, and how many times do you specifically melee people you think are spies? Typically I don't melee them unless there's nothing else around, as I want my gun out to shoot people who are legitimate threats if the need arises. If you're meleeing unaware victims, they're far more likely to notice you're bashing their skull in when the big white square in the corner when they're struck shows up; the only thing that might be more blatant is the obnoxious frying pan clang (or, if you somehow have it, the distinctive sound from the Saxxy turning people to gold).

"Best" loadouts are subjective. They vary depending on who you ask. While some are statistically more effective than others (for example, it's pretty much agreed upon that Escape Plan or Equalizer beats Shovel any day, or Third Degree over stock axe), people can make things work with enough practice and patience. Look at me, I field Loch-n-Load, Targe, and Eyelander on Demo on a regular basis. I inform medics not to use me for ubers but I still prove effective by being able to pick off stragglers and knowing where to attack from. Or another example is my use of Backburner and Detonator, in which the Detonator is used to open up more attack routes allowing me to take better advantage of the Backburner's guaranteed crits. Anything can work if you take the time to learn it.

Otherwise, your guide does provide a lot of general advice that's good to follow. One thing i'll mention: in my experience, Snipers counter other Snipers (to a point where many Snipers are advised to prioritize Snipers first) and Spies can be soft countered by Scouts (since aware scouts are difficult to catch, plus Mad Milk) and Snipers who use specific loadouts (Jarate, Sydney Sleeper, Razorback to some degree)

This is hard to be cool and suave while being informative at the same time. Goddamn my coolness.
In my experience, common sense isn't too common.

YoullNeverWalkAlone
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by YoullNeverWalkAlone » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:09 pm

That's true for me Soltan. I don't melee well with any class, so I tend not to use the ubersaw and prefer the Vita. I am much more likely to die than hit someone during my life. Not having to start back at 0% ubercharge after death has helped me more times than not. That also means that I need my needles to do damage to people.

Great guide Domer! While I am sure people will disagree where their personal loadout or style is not mentioned, this is a very helpful guide to playing each class.
Thanks Sparky for the sig picture!

Walk on, walk on
With hope in your heart
And You'll Never Walk Alone,
You'll Never Walk Alone

The Truth--Justice--Remember the Hillsborough 96

Fano
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Fano » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:29 am

TTHREAZ wrote:
While I agree with you on the Scattergun, I have to ask why the Sandman and Guillotine combo hadn't been mentioned. The amount of damage you can lay out with it is absolutely absurd. You can literally bonk a Heavy, hit him with the Guillotine and down him with one Scattergun shot.

If you consider the combo as derp, then I understand. I disagree with you but understand. :P
While that sounds super gimmicky, it's probably actually pretty good, the biggest drawback for me would be losing the third jump from the atomizer and the extra health (and fall damage immunity) from that new pistol whose name I can't remember.

TTHREAZ
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by TTHREAZ » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:16 pm

Fano wrote:
TTHREAZ wrote:

While that sounds super gimmicky, it's probably actually pretty good, the biggest drawback for me would be losing the third jump from the atomizer and the extra health (and fall damage immunity) from that new pistol whose name I can't remember.
I'm so used to using the Sandman that it doesn't matter what kind of perks the other melee weapons provide; I'd still prefer to have the stun at my disposal. Yes, it drops your health but Scouts are supposed to be weak. :P

TheCarpe
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by TheCarpe » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:21 pm

TTHREAZ wrote:I'm so used to using the Sandman that it doesn't matter what kind of perks the other melee weapons provide; I'd still prefer to have the stun at my disposal. Yes, it drops your health but Scouts are supposed to be weak. :P
Agreed, and the Pretty Boy's Pocket Pistol makes it even better, in my opinion.
Heck's Kitchen - TVC'08 & '11 ** The Axecutioners - TVC'09 ** Hale's Angels - TVC'10 ** CCCP - TVC'12 ** Ville Cuppin' Cakes - TVC'13 ** TheCarpetbaggers - TVC'14 CHAMPIONS

TTHREAZ
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by TTHREAZ » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:23 pm

TheCarpe wrote:
TTHREAZ wrote:I'm so used to using the Sandman that it doesn't matter what kind of perks the other melee weapons provide; I'd still prefer to have the stun at my disposal. Yes, it drops your health but Scouts are supposed to be weak. :P
Prepare your face for the Guillotine. :lol:

Larry
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Larry » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:58 pm

TTHREAZ wrote:
TheCarpe wrote:
Prepare your face for the Guillotine. :lol:
Just out of wonderment can you block a guillotine with another mid flight like with huntsman arrows?

The Domer
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by The Domer » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:46 pm

bump for part II