A place to discuss strategies and methods of playing
YoullNeverWalkAlone
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Kritz guide?

Post by YoullNeverWalkAlone » Fri May 25, 2012 12:49 pm

I'm finding myself trying to use the Kritz more than I was, but as I learned from Mateo the other night, I really don't know much about the best way to use it or how to protect myself better while using it. I went looking for a guide and could only find one on the Quick-fix (really? it gets one, but the Kritz doesn't? Sorry Zork)

Can I get some help with using the Kritz?
Thanks Sparky for the sig picture!

Walk on, walk on
With hope in your heart
And You'll Never Walk Alone,
You'll Never Walk Alone

The Truth--Justice--Remember the Hillsborough 96

THE Flying chihuahua
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Kritz guide?

Post by THE Flying chihuahua » Fri May 25, 2012 1:08 pm

The main thing is to be a bit more aggressive. Talk to Matt if you want more advice.
Imagepeahats made this because he is awesome.
Any semblance of wit is accidental, imagined, or medication related.
Minecraft ID is scatzilla99

MateoTheBold!
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by MateoTheBold! » Fri May 25, 2012 2:03 pm

THE Flying chihuahua wrote:The main thing is to be a bit more aggressive. Talk to Matt if you want more advice.
I'm guessing you mean Matt101 vs me? Matt hasn't been on in a while as far as I know, but Soltan/Barcode might be some good sources if they weigh in here.

-From my experience, when using kritz's you ideally want to have as much space as possible between you and your target, but not so much that you can get pushed off them from spam. This prevents splash damage from reaching both you and the kritzee. Ideally if you can push them from high ground or from having cover on one side (along one side of the map ) that helps keep you alive long enough to get a full kritz off.

-I also prefer to not use blackbox/liberty launcher solly's, as that's one less rocket they have before reloading. Same for targe demo's for lack of stickys.

-Don't be afraid to use a kritz on a scout/engy/spy/etc. If you don't use it, you will loose it, especially on maps that allow lots of flanking. Hitscan weapons can be pretty damaging if you have confidence in that player's ability. I kritz'd pink bandit (she was engy) last night and she managed to get 3 with her pistol. It reloads quick and a single magazine easily kill overhealed players.

-If you see an enemy who is distracted by one of your teammates and you have a flanking opportunity, run in from behind/the side and get a good swing in to finish them off with the ubersaw. Often times this will happen after an uber/kritz. Melee weapons have a MINIMUM base 15% chance of critting! This chance also increases based on the amount of damage you have recently done. http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Criti ... te-blog1-0

-During the krtiz do not stop moving, even if you are hiding behind cover. Dodging randomly from side to helps prevent backstabs/head shots.

-Often times players will wait behind the medic/kritz target and try to pick you off when its over. If you couldn't push from cover, make sure to be the eyes in the back of the medic/kritz pair's head and call out any flankers.

Following two are personal advice that doesn't apply to everyone's play style:

-Be chatty! Warn people ahead of time that they will be kritzed...gives them time to reload, etc. Try to find something positive to say/complimentary on who you kritz'd as well. It takes pressure of players who have uber/kritz anxiety and simply gives lends to a warm and fuzzy playing environment on the server. Nothing is a quicker buzzkill then a brooding silent medic or one who complains about uber/kritz results.

-Kritz off class! Ultimately the goal of TF2 is to have fun, so kritz a sniper/spy/engy from time to time! They can be surprisingly effective and its nice to share the love!

Warpath Cup- FU-2011, FAIL 2012
Villeympics- BB 2011, USAHB 2012
Ville Cup- HK 2011, SNES 2012, :TIME: 2013, CTB 2014

TTHREAZ
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by TTHREAZ » Fri May 25, 2012 2:22 pm

MateoTheBold! wrote:-Kritz off class! Ultimately the goal of TF2 is to have fun, so kritz a sniper/spy/engy from time to time! They can be surprisingly effective and its nice to share the love!
Being kritzed as a Scout warms my heart. :icon_heart:

MateoTheBold!
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by MateoTheBold! » Fri May 25, 2012 2:27 pm

TTHREAZ wrote:
MateoTheBold! wrote:-Kritz off class! Ultimately the goal of TF2 is to have fun, so kritz a sniper/spy/engy from time to time! They can be surprisingly effective and its nice to share the love!
Being kritzed as a Scout warms my heart. :icon_heart:
Aye that pistol is deadly!

Warpath Cup- FU-2011, FAIL 2012
Villeympics- BB 2011, USAHB 2012
Ville Cup- HK 2011, SNES 2012, :TIME: 2013, CTB 2014

Soltan
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Soltan » Fri May 25, 2012 2:33 pm

Kritzkrieg is far more dependent on the situation (map, attack/defense, other medics on team, etc.) than the regular medigun.

Kritz is very useful with soldiers, demos and heavies, but generally less so with other classes (a flanking kritz pyro can be quite effective though).

Map examples:
Warpath is VERY kritz friendly. I would generally recommend that at least one of the medics (there should be at least two) use kritz at all times.
Dustbowl is not very kritz friendly on offense but can be for defense, especially on the third stage (my comments apply to average player level on TV6, not competitive play where kritz can be used effectively on every stage blue/red).

You definitely need to be more mindful of your health status with the kritz, especially once it's deployed (don't try to block sentries for example).

As Mateo said, you should have fun with it and kritz every class at least once when the opportunity presents itself. I've had up to three kills with my syringe gun while being kritzed by another medic for example. You should also consider doing a kritz/uber on the same person at the same time with another medic. The combo of an invulnerable heavy shooting a constant stream of kritz bullets is quite devastating to the other team.

Kritz is also a good choice in melee only matches but those are pretty rare.

YoullNeverWalkAlone
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by YoullNeverWalkAlone » Fri May 25, 2012 3:11 pm

Can you multi a Krtiz like you can a regular uber? I had thought about using it with a soldier until he used his 4 shots, then going to someone else, or keeping two people going at once.

I've noticed that my play style tends to be aggressive and is sometimes counter-productive as a medic, but more so as a krtiz medic. Not to mention that I've developed some habits running a regular uber and tend to push ahead of my target, only to wind up dead because I'm kritz.
Thanks Sparky for the sig picture!

Walk on, walk on
With hope in your heart
And You'll Never Walk Alone,
You'll Never Walk Alone

The Truth--Justice--Remember the Hillsborough 96

TTHREAZ
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by TTHREAZ » Fri May 25, 2012 3:26 pm

You'llNeverWalkAlone wrote:Can you multi a Krtiz like you can a regular uber? I had thought about using it with a soldier until he used his 4 shots, then going to someone else, or keeping two people going at once.
Yes you can. Spread the love.

One_Medic_Army
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by One_Medic_Army » Fri May 25, 2012 3:27 pm

Kritz is great for switching around on different people.
I usually start out on a soldier for the direct rocket-spam and then switch to someone else once he's out of rockets.

The big thing about the Kritzkreig is to understand the ideal situation to hit them. A normal uber you blow when you or your target is low on health. A Kritz should be blown when you have lots of targets in front of you, or to scatter/push-back the enemy team. Kritz makes a good follow up or companion to ubers, in fact blowing both of them on the same target (pyro or heavy) can be incredibly effective.
Don't worry too much about "saving" a kritz for the right time, if you see a good spot, use it.

My biggest personal rule is to never use vita-saw or blutsager with a kritzkreig. You get to go into a fight, preferably with a large number of enemies, with only 150hp. You may need the extra 10hp or regeneration. If there's a friendly medic, see about getting an overheal before pushing out.
ImageImage
VIEW CONTENT:

Flaming Cheese Wheel
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Flaming Cheese Wheel » Fri May 25, 2012 3:33 pm

You'llNeverWalkAlone wrote:Can you multi a Krtiz like you can a regular uber? I had thought about using it with a soldier until he used his 4 shots, then going to someone else, or keeping two people going at once.
You can, just remember that the multi-target uber decay rate will affect the kritz faster than it will an uber.

The Domer
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by The Domer » Fri May 25, 2012 3:38 pm

Just a few thoughts, I pretty much only use kritz when I medic.
  1. 1) In order of preference, I tend to give my kritzs to sticky demos, heavy, and then soldier (note that it is preferable that they are using the stock launcher to get the extra shot).
  • 2) As far as staying alive goes, I like to use the crossbow / amputator combo to get the extra health regen (to help offset the reduced regen of the kritz).
  • 2a)The Amputator taunt heals in a radius around you, it leaves you quite vulnerable and doesn't charge your uber, but learning when is a good time to pull that out can save a lot of your teammates.
  • 2b)Equipping the crossbow means you are going to be extra vulnerable compared to the stock syringe gun or the blutsauger, you'll need to rely on teammates more.
  • 3)Don't hold the kritz! It charges extra fast, so unless you have a special reason, use it as often as you can. Time holding it is time it's not recharging, and you might get picked with a full uber, and nothing feels worse than that.
  • 4)Don't forget that in a pinch, the kritkreig's taunt heals you 10 HP, it's saved me on occasion when I was burning and couldn't find a healthpack or a pybro.
  • 5)Don't be afraid to kritz a scout or an engineer. They can pack a wallop (especially stock scatterguns, widowmakers, and stock shotguns).

Fano
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Fano » Fri May 25, 2012 4:07 pm

One of the biggest things is knowing whether or not the enemy medic(s) have their ubercharge ready or not. A good medic with an uber ready to go can completely nullify your entire kritz charge, kill you, and take the next objective (or delay your push if they are on an A/D map). Being able to keep track of who has the uber advantage (and by how much) is the hardest part about being a medic, but also the most useful, especially when a kritz is involved.

On payload maps or other maps with a setup timer such as dustbowl, you never want to start off with a kritz, even on defense, the kritzkrieg's main advantage over the ubercharge is the much faster charge rate, but at the end of setup all medics are guaranteed to have their charge, so a kritz would be pretty ineffective against people who know what they're doing and can counter-uber. After the initial setup time you can switch to kritz if the situation calls for it (the easiest way to tell is if both medics die at the same time, switching to kritz while you respawn should give you the advantage in that situation, assuming the other team stays on uber).

With a kritz you always want to be aggressive and use the charge as often as possible, always before the enemy medic has a charge. The main goal of your kritz should be to kill the enemy medic so that he has to start charging his uber all over again, whereas the main goal of a regular ubercharge is to push a sentry nest and/or take ground, which does not necessarily entail killing the medic. If you don't kill the medic with your kritz charge however, you will be at a pretty severe disadvantage, not only because he will have uber before you, but because even if you get your next charge in time, you still won't be able to stop the enemy's push with it.

The kritzkrieg is all about taking the uber advantage and keeping it throughout most of the round, there's nothing that frustrates a medic more than dying before he can get even one ubercharge off during his life, if you can continuously do this you can completely decimate the opposing team's push. Running kritz is an incredibly high risk/reward thing to do though as one failed push will completely nullify your advantage, even if you live, in a serious match it can cost you the entire round.

Another big thing is to take your team into consideration when picking the kritz, if there are no soldiers or demomen, a kritzkrieg is probably not worth it, even if there are heavies an uber-charge would be far more effective on them, since the minigun doesn't do burst damage like rockets and stickies do, a heavy relies more on survival to keep sustained damage and benefits more from an uber, not to mention you can also save some teammates from death during the uber as well and have an overall stronger push. Of course that doesn't mean that the heavy won't wreck teams with a kritz if he gets into a good position, but those situations are pretty rare and if it happens chances are you're stomping the opposite team anyway.
One_Medic_Army wrote: My biggest personal rule is to never use vita-saw or blutsager with a kritzkreig. You get to go into a fight, preferably with a large number of enemies, with only 150hp. You may need the extra 10hp or regeneration. If there's a friendly medic, see about getting an overheal before pushing out.
This is silly, the point behind the kritzkrieg, as I mentioned before, is to gain and maintain an uber advantage, the vita-saw helps immensely with this as it saves a ton of time when you respawn, it makes a huge difference and most leagues have banned it for this reason. blutsager IS bad though, don't use that thing.
You'llNeverWalkAlone wrote: Can you multi a Krtiz like you can a regular uber? I had thought about using it with a soldier until he used his 4 shots, then going to someone else, or keeping two people going at once.
It's generally a good idea to start the kritz off on a sticky demo, who will have plenty of shots to use the full charge (8 stickies + 4 grenades, don't kritz targe demos), if however he gets out of position it is perfectly acceptable and advantageous to switch to a soldier or something who is in a better position to get kills (particularly the medic, as I mentioned before).
The Domer wrote: Just a few thoughts, I pretty much only use kritz when I medic.
This isn't a good thing, a good medic always switches based on the situation. More often than not an ubercharge is more useful and if the enemy team knows you always run a kritz there won't be a surprise factor to catch them off guard.
The Domer wrote: 2) As far as staying alive goes, I like to use the crossbow / amputator combo to get the extra health regen (to help offset the reduced regen of the kritz).
The kritz doesn't have reduced regen, that's the blutsauger. I still recommend the vita-saw with any medigun, but the crossbow CAN work, though as mentioned, you will be much more vulnerable, especially since you can't pop an uber to save yourself.

Zork Nemesis
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Zork Nemesis » Fri May 25, 2012 6:01 pm

Concerning the choice of the Vita-Saw, I use it over any other bonesaw for the ability to keep uber on respawn. It's especially effective with Kritz or QF as if you are killed partway through deploying your charge, you can still keep up to 20% so long as you had at least that much when you bought the farm. Paired with either medigun's faster charge building rate and you'll have your Kritz ready in no time.

I think the time calculations indicate that you save roughly 10 seconds by respawning with the Vita-Saw, which can be a real game changer when it comes to recovering lost ground or readying a push.

This is hard to be cool and suave while being informative at the same time. Goddamn my coolness.
In my experience, common sense isn't too common.

Soltan
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Soltan » Fri May 25, 2012 6:51 pm

The vita saw simply doesn't fit my play style. I'm pretty dedicated to the ubersaw. I get so many partial/full charges from using it that I basically can't stand playing without it.

Daryldime
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Daryldime » Fri May 25, 2012 7:11 pm

Krits scout pistol? Ha! Barcode will Krits me as scout and I just go all out with the scatter gun.... its brutal.
Warpath Cup 2011 Spy for Hades Babies - 2nd Place
Warpath Cup 2012 Spy for Inner Children Unleashed - Champions