A place to discuss strategies and methods of playing
YoullNeverWalkAlone
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

A snipers guide anyone?

Post by YoullNeverWalkAlone » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:21 pm

I know we have some good snipers around here. I was reading the old one written and while it has some good points, things have changed quite a bit with weapon loadouts and whatnot, that I wondered if there might be some people who wouldn't mind helping me get better at a class I like, but suck at. I did get my first double shot snipe on double cross the other night!
Thanks Sparky for the sig picture!

Walk on, walk on
With hope in your heart
And You'll Never Walk Alone,
You'll Never Walk Alone

The Truth--Justice--Remember the Hillsborough 96

Plinko
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: A snipers guide anyone?

Post by Plinko » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:07 pm

I actually wrote and deleted a 5,000 word sniper guide that was specific to Warpath. I might try it again while I'm unable to play TF2 the next few weeks, but since I only snipe on TV8 it would be of limited value for playing other maps.
"I made all my gold into pants" - Ignatius

OmgOhnoes
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by OmgOhnoes » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:12 pm

I'm not an expert sniper and usually only play it on a few maps (although i've been trying to expand that).

My understanding is the sniper shot is immune to lag (on your end at least, they might not like you for it), ie if the crosshairs and rifle fire over the head of someone regardless of your ping it should hit them in the head. In practice i'm not sure that's the case.

Ultimately it comes down to practice and getting use to your mouse sensitivity/speed vs the movement and speed of your opposition. Try and pick areas where they are coming towards you more than side to side.

I have a lot of hours on sniper overall, most of them on 2Fort (A sniper's dream) where i got most of my achievements but i'm still not that great compared to lots of the players on here.

Double Cross is a good map to learn on. Either in the window or opposite the spawn door by the health shack. Both are good areas you should hopefully not get harassed much in. If you get jumpers then you just have to deal with it and hope team mates help keep the battlements clear.

For the record, i play with the basic sniper rifle. I like the machina but not a fan of the trail. Sidney Sleeper is good if you want to play a more supporting roll. Giving mini crits on that heavy far away where your team is pushing really helps.

Also, taunting El Hefe is a requirement any time you kill him. Particularly with body-shots; it doesn't matter if you die to someone else while taunting. The Ville stats system actually gives you a "Taunting El Hefe" point.. or it's on the "to do" list, one of those.

Parade Kid
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Parade Kid » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:50 pm

Class kill prioritization, spy awareness, and a cool head in chaotic battles are among many things that you can practice to get better. I find that playing on larger (12v12+) servers can be more challenging (than say 6v6 or 9v9) in the sense that there is much more going on and you'll have, generally, more opponents to fire at.

Cpt._Keyes
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Cpt._Keyes » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:09 pm

A Keye to sniping: Put dots on heads, shoot, team color doesn't matter

Guide complete!
CG6505 CPT Nelson LCDR Wischmeier AST1 Skimin AMT2 Nichols-4SEP08
CG1705 LCDR Barnes LT Bryant AMTC Seidman AET2 Grigonis AET2 Beacham AMT2 Moletzsky AMT3 Kreder-29OCT09
CG6017 LT Krueger AMT1 Hoke AMT2 Banks-07JUL10
CG6535 LCDR Taylor LTjg Cameron ASTC Jorge AET3 Knight-29FEB12
WPB87340-2 BMC Terrell Horne-2Dec12
WMSL751 BM3 Obendorf-18DEC13

Fano
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Fano » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:34 am

A couple of tips off the top of my head:
  • Don't camp, move around and shoot from different areas, it'll be harder for opposing snipers to see you if you pop out from a different hole every time you peek
  • Aim before you scope, put your crosshair around the general vicinity of your target's head before you right click to zoom in, this will make it easier to make the small adjustment needed to hit the head quickly.
  • Priorities targets can vary but generally it's: Sniper -> Medic -> Heavy/Soldier/Demo -> Everything else.
  • Loadout stuff:
    • Most efficient loadout is Stock + Jarate/SMG + bushwacka, I'm sure people will disagree with this as they always do :roll:
    • Razorback can be acceptable if spies are an issue (and if you aren't just sitting back behind everyone where they can just 2-shot you with the revolver), but you'll miss out on the utility given by jarate or the awesome damage of the underrated SMG (it does more damage and is more reliable than scout/engineer pistols even!).
    • The darwin shield is pretty useless as the extra health doesn't really do anything for you.
    • Bazaar bargain is objectively worse but not so much that you'll be at a disadvantage for using it so it's basically preference there.
    • Sydney sleeper will let you annoy the crap out of other snipers and not much else, it has some utility but lacking headshots means you can't 1-hit anything with more health than a medic, and nobody if they have overheal.
    • Machina is trash because you give away your position every time you shoot and you can't no-scope with it. Pierce shots are cool but if you waiting for a full charge before every shot you aren't going to be very useful.
    • Melee choices are largely irrelevant unless you're carrying jarate in which case you'll always want the bushwacka for that cool combo on spies and such, if you don't carry jarate then I usually just go with stock since it doesn't have the extra fire vulnerability (even though it's not very noticeable), I almost never pull out melee as sniper though.
    • Cozy Camper seems to be pretty useless since it makes you stand quite literally still while you scope...haven't had much of a change to play with it though.
    • If you use the huntsman I will hate you forever...that's more of a personal opinion though ;)

One_Medic_Army
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by One_Medic_Army » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:27 am

Huntsman snipers are as different from normal snipers as demoknights are from sticky demos.
Take the analogy as you will, but they're still fun to derp with in pubs.

I find that changing your patterns can be a big help, even changing your hat can throw off enemy snipers, to say nothing of actually changing your loadout.
ImageImage
VIEW CONTENT:

The Spanish Inquisition
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by The Spanish Inquisition » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:01 am

1. We don't need another sniper
2. If you must, shoot other snipers first.
Nobody Expects the Spanish Inquisition!

YoullNeverWalkAlone
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by YoullNeverWalkAlone » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:18 pm

The Spanish Inquisition wrote:1. We don't need another sniper
2. If you must, shoot other snipers first.

See, and here I was expecting you to say "Can we get some counter sniping?"

I promise to only play medic when I'm on your team Spanish.

Walk on, walk on
With hope in your heart
You'll Never Walk Alone

YoullNeverWalkAlone
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by YoullNeverWalkAlone » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:25 pm

Fano wrote:A couple of tips off the top of my head:
  • Don't camp, move around and shoot from different areas, it'll be harder for opposing snipers to see you if you pop out from a different hole every time you peek
  • Aim before you scope, put your crosshair around the general vicinity of your target's head before you right click to zoom in, this will make it easier to make the small adjustment needed to hit the head quickly.
  • Priorities targets can vary but generally it's: Sniper -> Medic -> Heavy/Soldier/Demo -> Everything else.
  • Loadout stuff:
    • Most efficient loadout is Stock + Jarate/SMG + bushwacka, I'm sure people will disagree with this as they always do :roll:
    • Razorback can be acceptable if spies are an issue (and if you aren't just sitting back behind everyone where they can just 2-shot you with the revolver), but you'll miss out on the utility given by jarate or the awesome damage of the underrated SMG (it does more damage and is more reliable than scout/engineer pistols even!).
    • The darwin shield is pretty useless as the extra health doesn't really do anything for you.
    • Bazaar bargain is objectively worse but not so much that you'll be at a disadvantage for using it so it's basically preference there.
    • Sydney sleeper will let you annoy the crap out of other snipers and not much else, it has some utility but lacking headshots means you can't 1-hit anything with more health than a medic, and nobody if they have overheal.
    • Machina is trash because you give away your position every time you shoot and you can't no-scope with it. Pierce shots are cool but if you waiting for a full charge before every shot you aren't going to be very useful.
    • Melee choices are largely irrelevant unless you're carrying jarate in which case you'll always want the bushwacka for that cool combo on spies and such, if you don't carry jarate then I usually just go with stock since it doesn't have the extra fire vulnerability (even though it's not very noticeable), I almost never pull out melee as sniper though.
    • Cozy Camper seems to be pretty useless since it makes you stand quite literally still while you scope...haven't had much of a change to play with it though.
    • If you use the huntsman I will hate you forever...that's more of a personal opinion though ;)

My big question is the fully scoped shot. I don't like the machina for the reason you mention, its bad enough that I give away my position to the person I killed, but now everyone on the map who is paying attention knows where the sniper is. However, I body shot way, way more than I get a clean head shot. Doesn't that make the machina more effective for me? I was going stock most of the time for the lack of a tracer, but felt like I wasn't doing enough damage.

If you go with the smg, do I really need to worry about no scoped shots? I like the jarate, but it seemed that if I used the machina I almost had to have the smg for up close fighting.

I know in your other big guide you talked about aiming settings. Any tips for sniper aiming improvement/settings? As Spanish pointed out, I'm really no help to my team as a sniper if I can't hit the other team's sniper (at least I think that was what he said)

Walk on, walk on
With hope in your heart
You'll Never Walk Alone

Parade Kid
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Parade Kid » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:39 pm

If you're training for headshots, use the bazaar bargain. I use the machina when I'm in a medic + hw heavy fight. I'll use the huntsman if I feel like roaming; and/or there are many spies harassing me; there are tight spaces or small combat areas It might benefit you to wear the razorback until you get comfortable with moving around and flushing out spies (when that happens, switch to jarate). When you're sniping, confidence is everything. Don't be afraid to give away your position, you want your opponents to be fearful of the area you're covering...

DDYzErO
Everlasting Villun
Everlasting Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by DDYzErO » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:45 pm

Parade Kid wrote:If you're training for headshots, use the bazaar bargain. I use the machina when I'm in a medic + hw heavy fight. I'll use the huntsman if I feel like roaming; and/or there are many spies harassing me; there are tight spaces or small combat areas It might benefit you to wear the razorback until you get comfortable with moving around and flushing out spies (when that happens, switch to jarate). When you're sniping, confidence is everything. Don't be afraid to give away your position, you want your opponents to be fearful of the area you're covering...
I agree with Parade on this. Also alot of people who say are spamming keep doing the same pattern over and over, recognize it and you can have your sniper dot waiting for them.

Larry
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Larry » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:32 pm

***PRO TIPS INCOMING***
1. Stand in a corner.
2. Scope in.
3. Fully charge your gun/bow.
4. Bodyshot (Headshots are only useful for showing off)
5. Taunt
6. ??????
7. Top Score
Thanks to Seagreens for the spiffy banner!
VIEW CONTENT:
RIP Mr. Laptop 5/21/13
USAHB-Team Hand Brake 2012 Villy-Stuff
#HL3 TVC '13
FAIL Warpath Cup 2012-Proud to FAIL
Heck's Kitchen 2011

Fano
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Fano » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:12 pm

You'llNeverWalkAlone wrote:
Fano wrote:A couple of tips off the top of my head:
  • Loadout stuff:

My big question is the fully scoped shot. I don't like the machina for the reason you mention, its bad enough that I give away my position to the person I killed, but now everyone on the map who is paying attention knows where the sniper is. However, I body shot way, way more than I get a clean head shot. Doesn't that make the machina more effective for me? I was going stock most of the time for the lack of a tracer, but felt like I wasn't doing enough damage.

If you go with the smg, do I really need to worry about no scoped shots? I like the jarate, but it seemed that if I used the machina I almost had to have the smg for up close fighting.

I know in your other big guide you talked about aiming settings. Any tips for sniper aiming improvement/settings? As Spanish pointed out, I'm really no help to my team as a sniper if I can't hit the other team's sniper (at least I think that was what he said)
You should really only be going for a fully charged shot to get rid of a fully healed heavy, otherwise you should be taking as many shots as possible, whether or not you hit the head is a matter of practice, but just putting damage out there is the most important thing.

The machina's extra damage only kicks in when you're fully charged, but a fully charged headshot already does enough damage to 1-hit a heavy, the extra damage on a bodyshot is going to be mostly negligible, the pierceshot is a neat thing but the downsides aren't worth it.

Combining the smg with noscopes is a great way to get rid of light classes, shoot your smg first and when you run out of ammo switch back to the rifle and try a noscope, it's faster than reloading and does a burst of 50 damage, which may be enough to net you the kill.

As far as aiming settings go you can mess with zoom_sensitivity_ratio, but it's mostly a matter of practice.
Last edited by Fano on Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Parade Kid
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Parade Kid » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:52 pm

Also, and very importantly, you'll need to find a comfortable mouse sensitivity. Just keep tweaking it as you snipe to find your comfort zone.