A place to discuss strategies and methods of playing
Katotsu
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Re: Fano's General Guide to Improving at TF2

Post by Katotsu » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:51 pm

What should I do if I try to use Chris's FPS mod and all my cfgs reset themselves? And what is this sixense_bindings thing?

Fano
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Fano » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:56 pm

Katotsu wrote:What should I do if I try to use Chris's FPS mod and all my cfgs reset themselves? And what is this sixense_bindings thing?
don't worry about sixense, I guess it's some back porting related to this thing that came out with portal 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_1Ao2cd5BM

As for your other problem...I need more information, what reset itself? what are you missing?

If you need to get rid of Chris's configs and want to revert back to stock settings, remove the file from your cfg folder and run the game with the -autoconfig launch option

Katotsu
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Katotsu » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:23 am

Fano wrote:
Katotsu wrote:What should I do if I try to use Chris's FPS mod and all my cfgs reset themselves? And what is this sixense_bindings thing?
As for your other problem...I need more information, what reset itself? what are you missing?
Turns out I was trying to modify a required game file instead of making a new one. I've fixed my problem and tripled my fps. I now get 30 on a regular basis! I know this is still horrible

Fano
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Fano » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:18 am

A quick heads up for anyone who may be using the fps configs in this guide, I initially recommended capping your fps at double your refresh rate in order to maintain some sort of consistency, however I recently discovered that this can also cause some stuttering, much of which I was actually experiencing.

if you have the line fps_max 132 or something similar in your autoexec, I recommend changing the value down to 0 (no cap), this fixed quite a few issues for me.

Upon taking a second look at the guide it looks like the fps_max command is not mentioned so most of you are probably fine but I know that I recommended this to a few people via steam so this is really just a general PSA.

Remember you can always contact me if you have any questions!
Last edited by Fano on Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

YoullNeverWalkAlone
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by YoullNeverWalkAlone » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:21 am

Any thoughts on how to fix my lerps value in game? It used to be fine and then a couple updates ago it dropped to 15.something and flashes yellow.
Thanks Sparky for the sig picture!

Walk on, walk on
With hope in your heart
And You'll Never Walk Alone,
You'll Never Walk Alone

The Truth--Justice--Remember the Hillsborough 96

Fano
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Fano » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:24 am

You'llNeverWalkAlone wrote:Any thoughts on how to fix my lerps value in game? It used to be fine and then a couple updates ago it dropped to 15.something and flashes yellow.
Yellow lerp values indicate that you are experiencing packet loss, the usual way to fix this is to increase the cl_interp value up from 0.0152 to something like 0.024 or 0.033 at the most.

If that doesn't work then there may be a problem on the server's end which is out of your control unfortunately. I know that TV2 has had this issue for the longest time, not sure if it's been fixed yet.

YoullNeverWalkAlone
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by YoullNeverWalkAlone » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:47 am

Thanks!

Walk on, walk on
With hope in your heart
You'll Never Walk Alone

YoullNeverWalkAlone
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by YoullNeverWalkAlone » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:24 am

So I changed it to .025 and it is now just yellow, but not flashing. Do I need to increase it more or is that ok?

Walk on, walk on
With hope in your heart
You'll Never Walk Alone

Fano
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Fano » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:46 pm

anytime it turns yellow = bad, flashing or not, try a higher value like 0.033, also make sure to test the value on several different servers as that might also be the culprit.

Fano
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Fano » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:12 pm

For anyone interested, this is my new favorite HUD: http://www.rdyup.org/knhud/

It has a much easier to manage crosshair system as well as many more features than my previous favorite Garm3nHUD, it also looks a lot better, in my opinion, give it a shot!

I kinda want to update the guide a bit more but I'm not entirely sure what content people are interested in seeing, let me know if you have any suggestions.

OmgOhnoes
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by OmgOhnoes » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:31 pm

Fano wrote:For anyone interested, this is my new favorite HUD: http://www.rdyup.org/knhud/

It has a much easier to manage crosshair system as well as many more features than my previous favorite Garm3nHUD, it also looks a lot better, in my opinion, give it a shot!

I kinda want to update the guide a bit more but I'm not entirely sure what content people are interested in seeing, let me know if you have any suggestions.
I was using that for a long while, major issue is updates take a fairly long time to filter through. I switched to KBNHud https://code.google.com/p/kbnhud/ which has updates fairly soon after via their steam group. I still miss the expanding health cross but the box is an alright setup.

Fano
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Fano » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:07 am

OmgOhnoes wrote:
Fano wrote:For anyone interested, this is my new favorite HUD: http://www.rdyup.org/knhud/

I was using that for a long while, major issue is updates take a fairly long time to filter through. I switched to KBNHud https://code.google.com/p/kbnhud/ which has updates fairly soon after via their steam group. I still miss the expanding health cross but the box is an alright setup.
Looks pretty good, I'll have to give it a try, I have to say that one thing that I don't like about the original knhud is that it doesn't have an outline showing your team color on your health, which can get a bit confusing sometimes.

The Domer
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by The Domer » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:49 am

Have you considered omphud? It's my current favorite. First link goes to the screenshots page, for download, go here.

Plinko
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Plinko » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:58 am

Buzzy just got me on PVHUD, which I like quite a bit.
"I made all my gold into pants" - Ignatius

Larry
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Larry » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:23 pm

I use Split's HUD.
Thanks to Seagreens for the spiffy banner!
VIEW CONTENT:
RIP Mr. Laptop 5/21/13
USAHB-Team Hand Brake 2012 Villy-Stuff
#HL3 TVC '13
FAIL Warpath Cup 2012-Proud to FAIL
Heck's Kitchen 2011