A place to discuss strategies and methods of playing
Eggers
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Engineer Surviving Ubers

Post by Eggers » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:32 pm

So I play a lot of TF2 event though I'm a relatively new player. I play Engineer A-LOT (Double my other class times). I have found that there is one key tip that can separate you from the other Engineers in help your team hold the point.

USE THE WRANGLER WHEN UBERS COME
Most Engineers I've seen want to just whack their sentry with a hammer from the very start but this normally always ends in the gun and you dead. The timing will take some practice but by pulling out the wrangler quickly just to get the shield and then healing your gun and repeating, the sentry becomes near invincible especially against classes like the Demo and Soldier who have to reload.

Use wrangler, be credit to team!
Image (9-0-1)

One_Medic_Army
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Engineer Surviving Ubers

Post by One_Medic_Army » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:36 pm

Honestly, the gun can be put back up pretty fast, especially with help and/or a lvl 3 dispenser.

A Wrangled sentry may be harder to take down (8 stickies) but if you go down then the thing's still a sitting duck.
Dealing with ubers is highly situational and depends more on what's attacking and where your gun/other gear is than anything else.
ImageImage
VIEW CONTENT:

TheCarpe
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by TheCarpe » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:25 pm

I love seeing Wrangled Sentries, because the Engineer presents a much squishier target and killing him makes the Sentry a snap to kill.

There's no one strategy. Sometimes sitting behind it with your wrench and tanking the Sentry is the best thing to do, especially if your team is doing as they should be and keeping them off you.
Heck's Kitchen - TVC'08 & '11 ** The Axecutioners - TVC'09 ** Hale's Angels - TVC'10 ** CCCP - TVC'12 ** Ville Cuppin' Cakes - TVC'13 ** TheCarpetbaggers - TVC'14 CHAMPIONS

The Spanish Inquisition
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by The Spanish Inquisition » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:53 pm

I smash all my wrangler gear back into metal. The pistol is more important.

Beginner engineers have it so easy I don't see why they should complain or get frustrated with busted gear. You used to never even be able to pickup your equipment and move it much less invoke a magic force field around it.
Nobody Expects the Spanish Inquisition!

Eggers
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Eggers » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:14 am

It's definently a timing thing. Like a said it's much easier to do it against a demo or soldier because by the time they reload the uber will be over. It's just something I've never really seen many people do. Like most thing in tf2 its entirely situational. :)
Image (9-0-1)

Cpt._Keyes
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Cpt._Keyes » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:10 pm

wrangled sentries are the best against demos...just shoot a rocket at the base of the sentry and LOL heartily as his stickies spread away
CG6505 CPT Nelson LCDR Wischmeier AST1 Skimin AMT2 Nichols-4SEP08
CG1705 LCDR Barnes LT Bryant AMTC Seidman AET2 Grigonis AET2 Beacham AMT2 Moletzsky AMT3 Kreder-29OCT09
CG6017 LT Krueger AMT1 Hoke AMT2 Banks-07JUL10
CG6535 LCDR Taylor LTjg Cameron ASTC Jorge AET3 Knight-29FEB12
WPB87340-2 BMC Terrell Horne-2Dec12
WMSL751 BM3 Obendorf-18DEC13

crimsonshootingstar
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by crimsonshootingstar » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:18 pm

I walk up behind them with shotgun in hand when the uber goes down they take a hundred pellets of 00.

"A shooting star doesn't have a past. It burns like a flame and then is gone before your eyes. That's my kind of life."

ketchuo
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by ketchuo » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:01 pm

It depends on what the medic ubers.

Demo: Usually your gun will get destroyed.

Pyro: If its far away from the gun, then you dont need to worry. if the pyro is close then run for your life.

Heavy: pretty much same as pyro.

Soldier: If the soldier know what he is doing, then he'll target you first.

Cpt._Keyes
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Cpt._Keyes » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:19 pm

honestly wrangle rockets and gun at the demo bombs and u make him useless...i love facing demo ubers
CG1705 LCDR Barnes LT Bryant AMTC Seidman AET2 Grigonis AET2 Beacham AMT2 Moletzsky AMT3 Kreder-29OCT09

Rockn-Roll
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Rockn-Roll » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:10 pm

Another technique that I see engi's doing is letting the sentry battle away and draw all fire then pickup the dispenser and carry it away from the action...this works really good on enclosed capture points like dustbowl where the engi can make a fast gettaway. But, a wrangled sentry cannot stand against an ubber heavy if the heavy can drop down right in front of the sentry...heck I frequently take out sentries without an ubber at the last point on badwater just by dropping down from the map room with my gun already spinning...whether they are wrangled or not. And, it doesn't take 8 stickies...5 of them will do if they land right next to the sentry and are shot from far enough away...keep in mind that sticky bomb damage increases with distance.
Let's Rock!

The Spanish Inquisition
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by The Spanish Inquisition » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:17 pm

Rockn-Roll wrote:Another technique that I see engi's doing is letting the sentry battle away and draw all fire then pickup the dispenser and carry it away from the action...this works really good on enclosed capture points like dustbowl where the engi can make a fast gettaway.
I teach you that for dustbowl stage 1, second cap point. I only do this on defense points where there is hardly any metal around to build or too many engies working in the same area. Your dispenser is worth ten times any sentry when there is no metal naturally available on the map.

On that second cap point first stage dustbowl, there is only the one 40 ammo box for miles around. I usually pick up the dispenser and put it outside next to the ramp, only about ten feet away, and they never seem to blow it up. If I try to run further like around corner toward spawn, someone picks me off, better to pick up and drop it fast.

Pine
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Pine » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:40 pm

Use a wrangler and I'm just going to stab you. Easy as Pie.

Clay Pigeon
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Clay Pigeon » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:54 pm

Quick switching tween the wrangler and the wrench and repairing your sg will drastically increase your nest's survival odds. And if you notice a demo piling up the stickies at the base of your sentry, fire a rocket straight down to scatter them.

Only combat engies should use the pistol. Pistol engies with regular sentry guns are not credit to team.

Also, please don't prebuild. A level 1 at the front is worth infinitely more to the team than a level 3 at spawn.
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power tyrants and dictators cannot stand." - The prophet G'Kar

The Spanish Inquisition
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by The Spanish Inquisition » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:36 pm

Clay Pigeon wrote:Pistol engies with regular sentry guns are not credit to team.
I disagree, I get a lot of pistol kills with regular sentry. I noticed that stats don't track engie or scout pistols, what's up with that.

Cpt._Keyes
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Cpt._Keyes » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:41 pm

you shouldnt be getting pistol kills...a sentry's job is area denial...not kills...should be maintaining your equipment