THE Flying chihuahua
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Engineer Surviving Ubers

Post by THE Flying chihuahua » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:44 am

Cpt._Keyes wrote:you shouldnt be getting pistol kills...a sentry's job is area denial...not kills...should be maintaining your equipment
Gunslinger Engi.

Problem?
Imagepeahats made this because he is awesome.
Any semblance of wit is accidental, imagined, or medication related.
Minecraft ID is scatzilla99

One_Medic_Army
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by One_Medic_Army » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:03 am

I've been messing around with the Short Circuit (as I despise the wrangler), and I've come to the conclusion that due to equip time it's useless for defending your gear unless you get forewarning to have it out ahead of time (even then it's only good vs bad demos, roller pills, and long range rocketsniping)
It is, however, great for supporting the rest of your team, by clearing pills out of chokepoints, removing sticky traps and the like.

TL:DR don't use Short Circuit to defend your stuff, it's not as good as wrangler or wrench.
ImageImage
VIEW CONTENT:

Cpt._Keyes
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Cpt._Keyes » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:44 am

THE Flying chihuahua wrote:
Cpt._Keyes wrote:you shouldnt be getting pistol kills...a sentry's job is area denial...not kills...should be maintaining your equipment
Gunslinger Engi.

Problem?
CG6505 CPT Nelson LCDR Wischmeier AST1 Skimin AMT2 Nichols-4SEP08
CG1705 LCDR Barnes LT Bryant AMTC Seidman AET2 Grigonis AET2 Beacham AMT2 Moletzsky AMT3 Kreder-29OCT09
CG6017 LT Krueger AMT1 Hoke AMT2 Banks-07JUL10
CG6535 LCDR Taylor LTjg Cameron ASTC Jorge AET3 Knight-29FEB12
WPB87340-2 BMC Terrell Horne-2Dec12
WMSL751 BM3 Obendorf-18DEC13

Pine
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Pine » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:04 pm

Cpt._Keyes wrote:
THE Flying chihuahua wrote:
Gunslinger Engi.

Problem?
I don't think sheltering around your equipment the entire time, even when nothing is happening, is really getting the full efficiency of the engineer in play.

Cpt._Keyes
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Cpt._Keyes » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:17 pm

if there is nothing happening...u are probably in the wrong place...a sentries job is area denial..plain and simple...the day a round is won by superior kills then i will revise my statement. It's team fortress, not "I'm bored so i'm going to take some shots with my shotgun and not de-sap my equipment in time, thus allowing a push to come through and cap the point fortress" I would rather an engineer with no kills and an uncapped point, than an engineer with over 100 kills and us being pushed back
CG6505 CPT Nelson LCDR Wischmeier AST1 Skimin AMT2 Nichols-4SEP08
CG1705 LCDR Barnes LT Bryant AMTC Seidman AET2 Grigonis AET2 Beacham AMT2 Moletzsky AMT3 Kreder-29OCT09
CG6017 LT Krueger AMT1 Hoke AMT2 Banks-07JUL10
CG6535 LCDR Taylor LTjg Cameron ASTC Jorge AET3 Knight-29FEB12
WPB87340-2 BMC Terrell Horne-2Dec12
WMSL751 BM3 Obendorf-18DEC13

One_Medic_Army
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by One_Medic_Army » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:50 pm

That highly depends on the map type and your team-mates.
Sometimes I can get away with building just around the corner from the payload cart, sometimes I can't even get a gun up at the next point because my team folds too fast.
Engineers are so situational there are few hard and fast rules.
ImageImage
VIEW CONTENT:

crimsonshootingstar
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by crimsonshootingstar » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:54 pm

On double cross I will normally put my gun up at the front door and then cover sewers myself. Standing at my gun gives me a small chance of saving it from what have you but its more useful for me to be elsewhere doing other things while my gun covers. If it goes down I rebuild simple as that.

"A shooting star doesn't have a past. It burns like a flame and then is gone before your eyes. That's my kind of life."

bz
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by bz » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:14 pm

Cpt._Keyes wrote: It's team fortress, not "I'm bored so i'm going to take some shots with my shotgun and not de-sap my equipment in time, thus allowing a push to come through and cap the point fortress" I would rather an engineer with no kills and an uncapped point, than an engineer with over 100 kills and us being pushed back
^^Agreed. Your job is to keep your sentry alive and your teleports active. You won't be be able to hold a position otherwise.

Then again, you can't play engineer and not plan on having to rebuild everything. I've play engineer a lot, you have to realize that even on the maps that favor engineers, there is nothing your setup can do to prevent a competent team from blowing through your position with an uber (or two, or three). In the vast majority of games, that's what ubers are for. And there are a million things that can happen during each and every one of them: a lucky crit, a well timed backstab, your entire team may be dead, a headshot, you get caught out of position... whatever, chances are, you'll lose sentry. It will and should be the focus. Ideally your team will be able to counter, and if your dispenser survived, you'll be able to quickly rebuild your gun and await the next push.

I know everyone has their own opinion on how to defend their sentry when under attack from an uber, but personally, I will never stop using the wrangler. I have had the most success switching back and forth from the wrangler to the wrench. Assuming you stay alive, you can usually help your sentry survive long enough to keep the ubered pair focused on your sentry, absorbing 100% of it's attention and firepower, letting your team handle the rest of them. Knowing when NOT to use the wrangler is just as important however, it just takes experience to know when you're going to need it. You have to be cautious when zeroing it's firepower. And one thing I see new engineers do far too often is build up their sentry and then wrangle 100% of time. You're doing it wrong.

If you don't use the wrangler, you have to be much more particular about where you place your sentry. Deploying in areas where snipers, soldiers, and demos can take shots are your sentry without fear of retort is just asking for trouble. You'll never survive an uber, much less the spam. Your attention must be elsewhere, not simply focused on repairing damage from rocket/soldier spam. Finding good places to deploy your dispenser and teleport exit is important as well, they need to be close enough to defend if a spy goes after them, and still be able to get back to your sentry if it comes under attack. It's tricky, and all but impossible to pull off if they have a couple good spies/scouts.

Unfortunately, there is only so much you can do as a defensive engineer. You have to rely on your team, there is no other way around it. Sometimes you'll be able to hold a position an entire match, fending off spies and ubers, and never have to rebuild anything. Maybe you had some good pyros, helping out with spy checks and air blasting ubers. Next map, you probably won't have them. It's frustrating, but you just have to accept it, and rebuild, that's just the mentality you have to take on as an engineer.

It's a thankless job.
One_Medic_Army wrote:Engineers are so situational there are few hard and fast rules.
Couldn't agree more. And to clarify all of the above is slated towards defensive engineer on TV7s Attack/Defend and CP maps. Offensive engineer or TV2, for example, are entirely different ballgames.
fear no darkness.