Dirty Dan
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: The Quick-fix guide

Post by Dirty Dan » Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:37 am

The advantage may be the quickness of healing multiple people, but the fact you can overcharge people with the other guns provides a similar effect in battle + better offensive capabilities. Maybe if you're the only medic on defense and have a lot of thirsty people, but I just have a tough time seeing it.

Flobee
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Flobee » Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:48 am

I love the Quick-Fix.

anybody who doesn't see its usefulness is a dummyhead, sorry to say.
where doing this man.
where MAKING THIS HAPEN.

Zork Nemesis
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Zork Nemesis » Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:59 am

Flobee wrote:I love the Quick-Fix.

That's almost everyone on the Steam forums at this point.

This is hard to be cool and suave while being informative at the same time. Goddamn my coolness.
In my experience, common sense isn't too common.

Jesus_Faction
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Jesus_Faction » Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:07 am

I prefer a kritz, but im just happy to get heals from anything

Flobee
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Flobee » Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:09 am

Zork Nemesis wrote:
Flobee wrote:I love the Quick-Fix.

That's almost everyone on the Steam forums at this point.
the steam forums has always been populated almost exclusively by dummyheads, this isn't news. there's a few intelligent people but for the most part it's dumbsville.
where doing this man.
where MAKING THIS HAPEN.

One_Medic_Army
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by One_Medic_Army » Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:25 am

Well, here's a relevant anecdote on how not to use the Quick-Fix.
Had a medic with one trying to pocket my heavy earlier on warpath, was pretty close to worthless.
Without the overheal, I got huntsman'd down fairly easily, and the uber itself was no help against the high point-damage of stickies, rockets, and sniper fire.
If you want to use the thing, then you better darn well be on or near the front lines spreading the love! (And if you use that uber on a heavy, you better hope the other team is full of newbs or support classes)
ImageImage
VIEW CONTENT:

Guardian
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Guardian » Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:05 pm

Zork Nemesis wrote:I'm gonna kick myself for saying this, but name a situation or map where you're not going to need a kritz or uber to push. Arena and King of the Hill are excluded due to small, circular map layouts. Keep it to something that we play at TheVille (since I play nowhere else, save for a 24/7 Degroot Keep server)
Open maps that don't have sentry nests very often, so maps like cp_gullywah_final and other common official 5-point maps, maybe a couple ctf ones maybe. If you don't have to break up a nest the quick-uber can be just as effective if you can get the team to move together.

Also you never have to push at all if your on defense on any map so it works perfect there.
One_Medic_Army wrote:Well, here's a relevant anecdote on how not to use the Quick-Fix.
Had a medic with one trying to pocket my heavy earlier on warpath, was pretty close to worthless.
Without the overheal, I got huntsman'd down fairly easily, and the uber itself was no help against the high point-damage of stickies, rockets, and sniper fire.
If you want to use the thing, then you better darn well be on or near the front lines spreading the love! (And if you use that uber on a heavy, you better hope the other team is full of newbs or support classes)
Warpath has too many chokepoints that require ubers for the quick-fix.

Plinko
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Plinko » Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:19 pm

Actually, I think warpath is a good spot for the Quick Fix as a second medic to someone with a regular uber, since pushes have to be big and coordinated and often fail because players don't survive long enough to take and hold. As soon as I get one to drop I'm going to give it a shot.
"I made all my gold into pants" - Ignatius

Zork Nemesis
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Zork Nemesis » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:12 pm

One thing many people forget about the Quick Fix is it's secondary uber effect in which it blocks all knockback. One of the biggest reasons I call the QF a support medigun is because of this. You can easily coordinate with a medic who is using a standard Uber and you can deploy both the ubercharge and the QF on the same person. While this defeats the purpose of the megaheal, while the QF medic remains alive and charged, the ubered person will be immune to airblasts and sentry knockback, giving him a better chance of staying on target. This kind of thing really helps on maps like dustbowl, where an airblast can not only ruin the uber push, it can also put those affected in a very akward and bad position.

This is hard to be cool and suave while being informative at the same time. Goddamn my coolness.
In my experience, common sense isn't too common.

One_Medic_Army
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by One_Medic_Army » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:31 pm

You make a good point Zork, though I thought quick-fix didn't block airblasts.
ImageImage
VIEW CONTENT:

jonnosferatu
New Villun
New Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by jonnosferatu » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:08 am

Will T. wrote:
Zork Nemesis wrote:Stop hateing on the quick-fix, it's better than it looks, but it a specific niche that people still need to learn. Give it a month or two.

Also, I'd personally recommend not using the Quick-Fix if you ARE the only medic on your team. If you have a second medic packing Uber or Kritz, you can work with the person, having the second medic handle overheals while you just clean up after the wounded. This is more for defensive situations though, but can also be beneficial during offensive pushes.
This to the max. I like to think of the Quick-Fix as a secondary medigun, meaning it's designed to provide support to a standard Medigun also on the team, rather than any direct offensive aid. The problem is everyone still treats it like the standard Medigun, trying to make offensive pushes using it, and now they're all crying "this gun sux" because it doesn't do a very good job. That's not what it's for. It's like trying to use a string trimmer to try to mow your entire yard, then complaining when it's not very effective. However, you'll find that it cuts the grass at the edges where the mower can't quite reach far better than the mower ever could. Just because they have similar functions doesn't mean they're good at doing the exact same thing.

All three guns have different purposes:

The Medigun pushes forward with invincibility, to take out sentries.
The Kritzkrieg pushes forward with critical hits, to take out large groups of enemies.
The Quick-Fix follows the team and heals teammates, to keep a larger number of players alive on the front lines at all times.
The fact that it is not designed for pushing does not excuse it from being ineffective in support of pushes.

Pushes and the breaking thereof are how TF2 games are won. The Quick Fix's advantages are not sufficient to negate the loss of the overwhelming aid the team will receive from the addition of another medigun or kritzkrieg to bolster or extend a push (or the breaking and/or counterpushing thereof).

jonnosferatu
New Villun
New Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by jonnosferatu » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:19 am

Dirty Dan wrote:The advantage may be the quickness of healing multiple people, but the fact you can overcharge people with the other guns provides a similar effect in battle + better offensive capabilities. Maybe if you're the only medic on defense and have a lot of thirsty people, but I just have a tough time seeing it.
Even in these situations, you'd be better served by spreading the overheals around and having the team playing defense effectively while waiting for the other team to push so you can counterpush and break out with an Ubercharge or Kritz.

I would very seriously contest that the Quick Fix is worth taking over an additional Medigun or Kritzkrieg only in two circumstances:
1) In which the other team's Pyro and Sentry spam (presumably Wrangler-assisted) is sufficiently better than your team's ability to counter it that there is no way short of negating movement-altering effects to break the point (and even then, this is typically only the case for points that are notoriously difficult to attack, e.g. the final points on Dustbowl and Gold Rush)
2) Your skills as a Medic are poor relative to the skills of the opposing team (i.e. you do not spread overheals around, die ~constantly, etc.)

Tungsten
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Tungsten » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:00 am

I've started playing medic more due to the Quick-Fix. Absolutely love it.

Using it as a follow-up to an uber charge seems to work well. Target the medic and his partner as they're retreating from the ubercharge or heal the guys who ran in with the ubercharge. Also, remember healing a scout gives you scout speed which isn't just fun, but is also practical as it can help you run here and there to heal people. It doesn't give you a double-jump...which should be obvious...and yet I find myself pressing jump twice no matter what class I'm playing.

But...it's not as good when you're the only medic on the team, partially because the team will complain about the lack of ubers and kritzs. So whenever I'm the only medic on the team, I switch to the less fun medigun and the slightly-more-entertaining-than-the-medigun-but-less-fun-than-the-Quick-Fix kritzkrieg.

The Domer
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by The Domer » Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:41 pm

Now that the quick-fix supports tethering, what are the opinions about its viability?

Katotsu
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Katotsu » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:38 pm

As a medic using the Quick-Fix after you can rocket-jump, I've been disoriented when the person jumps. This has actually made me want to use the weapon LESS than when it didn't have this feature.