A place to discuss strategies and methods of playing
Nick Mame
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Nice Advanced Soldier Guide I found

Post by Nick Mame » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:10 am

Point blanks shovels aren't so much a merit to the weapon, which still has weak damage for the risk involved in hitting someone with it, as they are a mistake on the battlefield. You'd have to use a shovel in that situation since you were desperate and needed something quick and dirty to pull through. However, it was a mistake to enter into that situation in the first place; it would have been more effective to remain at a range and reload.

If you are point blank with no other options, use the shovel - it's about the only thing you have going for you. But take it as incentive to avoid those situations in the future. Part of the game is managing ammo and health and entering combat with ample reserves of both. Just because you aim well doesn't mean you've mastered the game - you have to consider the battle situation as well.

@Plinko:
It's an inside joke. A couple of us laugh at this particular video because the advice to counter an attack is to 'just aerial him'. I'm not sure what the exact definition of an airshot is, I just know that aerial is a pretty silly term that I enjoy laughing at.

If you have no commitment on the battlefield - such as protecting a sentry or a medic - run when you see the uber. The relevant situation is when you're the person who snuck up behind their medic and caused them to pop. They don't much care about you at that point - they want to make the uber as useful as possible given its early use - so make yourself scarce having done your job of denying them proper timing. Otherwise, you want to try to juggle them at range to prevent them from overwhelming your position. But as long as you don't attempt to block the player's path by standing in front of them, you should be fine. I somehow doubt an experienced player would fail to notice someone standing in front of his medic.

I don't think jumping off of walls increases distance. It does, however, quite significantly increase speed since you're pushing away from a wall instead of the floor - more inclined to go forward rather than up. That results in a lot more forward movement since you'll waste less time in the air and reach a forward position significantly faster. I don't think there's merit to wall jumps during combat, but they are the preferred method of reaching the front faster.
Interested in custom maps? Join the [url=http://steamcommunity.com/groups/tvii][u]TV2 Seeding Group[/u][/url]!

Plinko
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Plinko » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:12 am

Makes a lot more sense now.

I think the never melee argument holds only on a competitive environment.
In a pub with a lot of people, you're more likely to have someone in your face with no ammo, whipping out their melee on you and with crits on, it may well make sense to take a swing or two with a shovel rather than allow them a swing while you load the shotgun (of course, if you're slow to swap weapons, you might as well reload for the time it takes to switch guns).

Also, you're much more likely to find yourself behind a heavy who didn't notice you land behind him, makes more sense to shovel him twice in the back and have a full load of rockets handy instead of shooting him 2-3 times. I doubt that happens much in a CEVO match.
"I made all my gold into pants" - Ignatius

Bronze Fox
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Bronze Fox » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:07 pm

Melee is defiantly not the safest thing to do, but it's the funniest thing to do.

eraD
Villun
Villun
Loading…

Post by eraD » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:13 pm

The shovel is only good for the lulz.

Thorn
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Thorn » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:54 pm

I like how alot of the tips for the class specific strat is "shoot them with 2 rockets"

NoahTheBoa
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by NoahTheBoa » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:11 pm

[quote="Thorn";p="187248"]I like how alot of the tips for the class specific strat is "shoot them with 2 rockets"[/quote]

I'm glad he pointed that out. I used to just rush in with my shovel....

Guardian
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Guardian » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:26 pm

[quote="NoahTheBoa";p="187251"][quote="Thorn";p="187248"]I like how alot of the tips for the class specific strat is "shoot them with 2 rockets"[/quote]

I'm glad he pointed that out. I used to just rush in with my shovel....[/quote]

I know. For the sniper, I just used to stare at him blankly until he shot me.

unsmart
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by unsmart » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:09 pm

This guide makes me want to try to air shoot people. So I tried and I keep reverting to Rocket Jumping Shovel Ninja.
[img]http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/9884/twosnaps004.gif[/img]

Guardian
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Guardian » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:25 pm

Hey guys, recently the author of the first guide added another part based upon the new update: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYC0zYUUB_A

Check it out.

MrBlah
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by MrBlah » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:53 pm

I just shoot my rockets and hope they hit people. That's how I soldier.
Eater of Potatoes, since 2008.

I am driven by two main philosophies: know more today about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you.
― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Plinko
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Plinko » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:53 pm

I am at where they are, so I miss them unless they're holding still.

Guardian
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Guardian » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:51 am

[quote="Plinko";p="221521"]I am at where they are, so I miss them unless they're holding still.[/quote]

.... what

BigBiker05
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by BigBiker05 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:01 am

I didn't really like this guide, for one:
NEVER TOUCH YOUR cl_interp, especially if you only play on TV servers.

First off, TV servers will automatically limit your interp and rate. Secondly, people only think these are so godly because they became a necessity in the HL engine. Before source, the engine was too outdated to work with higher internet speeds and adjusting your interp and rates was needed to get the best response from the server.

Other complaint is that he could have saved me 5 minutes by just saying "no matter what, hit it with 2 rockets".

As nick said, try not to use your shovel, use the ground for air, walls for distance, and don't use the word aerials.

Katotsu
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Katotsu » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:34 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhG9AP4oZKE

He made a new part, focusing on the Poly set and touching on the Pain Train and Gunboats.

Plinko
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Plinko » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:55 pm

New video is much more sensible than the old ones, though less detailed.