A place to discuss strategies and methods of playing
Aez
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Nick's Corner (TF2)

Post by Aez » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:15 pm

I'm actually with you Dirty Dan that they're a good direct weapon. The issue is that Nick Mame is right in that pipes are better. If you're facing an enemy who is vertically skilled (Rocket jumping soldiers, scouts, even just people who are good at jumping), then your stickies become far less effective due to the delay (and thus the necessity to have it hit the ground). Once you get good with pipes, they're a better weapon than stickies when it comes to direct combat situations.

But against normal players? Stickies are usually easier to learn and nearly as effective as pipes. On the Ville servers, you usually won't need pipes unless you're facing scouts.

Dirty Dan
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Dirty Dan » Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:39 am

[quote="Aez";p="183355"]I'm actually with you Dirty Dan that they're a good direct weapon. The issue is that Nick Mame is right in that pipes are better. If you're facing an enemy who is vertically skilled (Rocket jumping soldiers, scouts, even just people who are good at jumping), then your stickies become far less effective due to the delay (and thus the necessity to have it hit the ground). Once you get good with pipes, they're a better weapon than stickies when it comes to direct combat situations.

But against normal players? Stickies are usually easier to learn and nearly as effective as pipes. On the Ville servers, you usually won't need pipes unless you're facing scouts.[/quote]

Yeah it's very situational, but direct pipe hits and the bits people explode into is very satisfying. Pipes are awesome for suppression as well, I forget if that was mentioned by Nick Mame or not. I think of warpath specifically on the ridges; if you sticky you dont know where they land, and they dont move obviously because they stick, and you cant tell when to blow them up, but you can lob pipes up there and they slide down the hill waiting to explode.

These types of threads always inspire me to play certain classes more, the medic shortage one got me hooked on medic and now I'm back to being hooked on demo.

omgspoon
Villun
Villun
Loading…

Post by omgspoon » Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:43 am

i love pipes so much
airshotting people with them is very satisfying
[img]http://theville.hlstatsx.com/hlstats.php/sig/174472_random.png[/img]
[url=http://hlstatsx.com/global_stats][img]http://hlstatsx.com/sig/STEAM_0:0:9868542_tf2.png[/img][/url]

mr_s
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by mr_s » Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:09 am

[quote="omgspoon";p="183378"]
i love pipes so much
airshotting people with them is very satisfying
[/quote]

lol this

The Spanish Inquisition
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by The Spanish Inquisition » Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:17 am

Pipes and stickies are true problem solving tools. The reload time though is a killer. I need to add a reload command on the end of my attack for that class. How many times have you forgotten to reload unnecessarily? Too many!

Demomen suck at protecting their medics though unless the medic knows enough to go stand on his stickies for protection. I prefer stickies for laying out a defense perimeter. Progressive stickies will push back the weaker enemies like scout, sniper, spies and engies from crossing the line, saving your pipes for after you blow your stickies. It's always seems to come down to reload times though...
Nobody Expects the Spanish Inquisition!