Just got Garry's Mod!

A forum dedicated to the discussion of the Mod, its addons and designs for contraptions!
Rakshasas
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Just got Garry's Mod!

Post by Rakshasas » Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:45 am

Hello everyone,

I just got Garry's mod, and I have some questions for you all.

First of all, how exactly do servers and "addons" work? For example, I downloaded Buoyancy Tool, Easy Precision, Redo and a few other mods, and I want to know what exactly happens if I join a server that doesn't have them. Will they simply not show up under the "Q" menu?

And to expand upon that, are they are recommend Addons? One thing I've heard of is adv duplicator, and wiremod but I can't seem to use either of them at the moment. Would be neat to be able to show off some stuff I've made in single player, if I can save and duplicate it on a real server (mind you, nothing I've made so far is worth showing off ;) )

I also downloaded a pack from this site, that contains wire and phx2. I downloaded something called phx, and did not see an updated phx2 on the garry mod site. Is it something that theville community released, containing stuff from phx as well as extras? Basically I want to know if I should delete phx and replace it with phx2 or have both installed.

As for wire, is the version in the pact updated or old? Apparently wire is suppose to come with Adv Duplicator, so it not being in the gmod_pack leads me to believe it's fairly old.

Anyhow, thanks. Happy building :P

TheCarpe
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Just got Garry's Mod!

Post by TheCarpe » Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:55 am

There is an update thread Stevo made that includes everything you'll need to play on the TV Gmod server, including PHX. Wiremod and the Adv. Duplicator are also built into the server.

Unfortunately, I don't know of any way to dup something in an offline game and bring it to an online one. I don't think you can :?

Anyway, have fun! Gmod is a like giant toybox, you can always find something to entertain you, something to build, something to break, and you can spend hours in it without realizing it's suddenly 2 in the morning.
Heck's Kitchen - TVC'08 & '11 ** The Axecutioners - TVC'09 ** Hale's Angels - TVC'10 ** CCCP - TVC'12 ** Ville Cuppin' Cakes - TVC'13 ** TheCarpetbaggers - TVC'14 CHAMPIONS

TTHREAZ
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by TTHREAZ » Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:26 am

You can save things to your PC and upload them to the Ville server with Adv. Duplicator.

Stevo
Everlasting Villun
Everlasting Villun
Minecraft name: StevoTVR
Uplay name: StevoTVR

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Stevo » Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:33 am

The addons pack I put together contains everything you need to play on the server. It is a recent wire release including all the necessary models, and advanced duplicator is all Lua so it will download any client files from the server when you connect.

If you want to save stuff from local games to upload to a server, you just need Adv Duplicator installed on your side.

Make sure to delete the old PHX so there aren't conflicts with PHX2.

Anyway, have fun with Gmod. :D

Rakshasas
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Rakshasas » Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:33 pm

Awesome, I didn't realize that adv duplicator would be auto downloaded, that explains a lot.

I know I am the new guy around here, but I'd like to do my part and recommend an addon for you all. It's one I mentioned in my original post, Redo.
http://www.garrysmod.org/downloads/?a=view&id=37713

Basically, if you hit 'Z' to undo something, and you realize you really didn't want to do that, you can use this mod to bind (through the console only afaik) a key to 'redo'

honestly, I found that really useful almost instantly. I got a bit too attached to using undo, and I find myself overusing it sometimes, so redo fixes a lot of my stupid undos.

Anyway if you all don't want it, that's cool. Just figured I'd toss it out there.

Thanks for the responses btw. At the time I posted I didn't understand how adv duplicator worked, but I eventually saw the tab where you can recreate some items. Really handy.

Stevo
Everlasting Villun
Everlasting Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Stevo » Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:21 pm

That's awesome. I'll add that tomorrow when it's empty. :)

Rakshasas
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Rakshasas » Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:56 am

Actually hold on, after connecting to your server and downloading all the files the Redo mod no longer works. Not entirely sure what happened, but maybe you'll be able to make it work again. It might not be such a good idea anymore :(

On an entirely separate note. I have been playing around with various object, and I am trying to make a launcher of some kind.

Basically, I want to use 4 tiled objects of the same size, and create a rectangle tube. My problem is, I am having a really really hard time making the piece line up perfectly. Does anyone have any recommendations for putting 4 perfectly flat pieces, from the tiled blocks pack?

I've seen people make some really nice structures, so there must be some "duh" way to be able to weld blocks together, without them being off center, or rotated poorly (I tried easy weld, and while it gives you the ability to weld an object, it's hard to target the edges and avoid missing.)

I tried using easy precision 0.9 and smartsnap (which I now see has been reported as a bad mod on the garrysmod.org site) and I just can't make perfectly aligned structures.

Anyway, thanks for the help, it's just that my creativity is at a stand still if I can't get pieces to weld together the way I want.

Stevo
Everlasting Villun
Everlasting Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Stevo » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:36 am

Redo should work now. It's a server side .script so it has to be on the server to work.

To weld things straight and centered, I always use the easy weld. When you look at the surface of something with the tool gun, you should see a grid. If you hold E it will lock on to the nearest intersection making it easier to make perfect welds. :)

Rakshasas
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Rakshasas » Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:32 pm

Well I mean, redo stopped working for me on single player mode after downloading stuff on your server, and switching back to single player later on.

But if it works I think I'll just re-DL it from your server, and hope it resolves whatever problem I am having, though something tells me with my mass addon downloading I have some kind of conflict. I might need to reinstall Gmod.

But yeah, I'll fool around with Easy Weld and that grid. I had no idea that Gmod had a grid in the game. That's a great tip! BTW, just read the "Stevo's Stupid Crap" post, and you can see how well you were able to weld stuff together, so clearly you are onto something :P

Thanks again.