Oh god, where to start

A forum dedicated to the discussion of the Mod, its addons and designs for contraptions!
Dirty Dan
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Oh god, where to start

Post by Dirty Dan » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:34 pm

Dang. I'm just trying to pose rag dolls to make a sig, and I can barely do it. I got gmod cause it's on sale but I don't really know what I'm doing.

I watched the basic ragdoll tutorial that it comes with, but is there an easier way to position weapons more easily? I also have trouble finding natural head positions. Tips & links to tutorials appreciated.

TheCarpe
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Oh god, where to start

Post by TheCarpe » Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:30 pm

Best bet with TF2 ragdolls is to freeze the chest area first, then adjust the head, then the limbs. As for posing and holding weapons, you'll want to No-Collide both the model and the weapon so they clip each other a bit, but it can look ok. Also, finger poser.

It's a lot of little things :)
Heck's Kitchen - TVC'08 & '11 ** The Axecutioners - TVC'09 ** Hale's Angels - TVC'10 ** CCCP - TVC'12 ** Ville Cuppin' Cakes - TVC'13 ** TheCarpetbaggers - TVC'14 CHAMPIONS

arfy4
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by arfy4 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:35 pm

TF2 rag dolls are bugged, and most can not be frozen at the head first.

TheCarpe
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by TheCarpe » Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:01 pm

Alright, I threw together a quick and dirty ragdoll pose to hopefully show you some of the basics. It's not perfect, lots of things could be done better, but i just threw it together to give you an idea.

First, spawn a ragdoll. Easy enough, just find the class you want in the menu and click.

It will appear flat on its back in front of you. This is the best place to start posing it.

Grab it by the center of the chest and rotate it towards yourself (I have this set to holding down mouse3 and moving the mouse).

Now upright, lower it to the ground until the feet naturally touch the ground flat. Freeze the ragdoll with right mouse.

Now just grab the head and move it around till it's where you want it. Best way is to hold down use and move the mouse, this rotates more precisely. Might take a couple tries and angles to get it just right. Once you get it, freeze.

There. We have something to work with.

Lets spawn some weapons for him to hold.

There now, we can't put them up to him or...

So we need to no-collide the grenade launcher. You can find this option in the Construction area of your menu. The grid there is an addon for my game, it won't appear in yours.

Left click on the grenade launcher. There. Now the two objects will clip together seamlessly, for better or worse.

Hold out and freeze the ragdolls hand and freeze the noclipped weapon in it. Hold use while moving the mouse to get the weapon exactly how you want it.

Use the finger poser to close his hand around the grenade launcher. Posing fingers is tricky, so don't worry about making it perfect till you're more experienced. Repeat with the bottle. Once they're good, you can weld the weapon to the hand and move them around.

He looks more bored than his new stance would imply. Now lets adjust his face with the Face Poser.

Be careful with the options, TF2 ragdolls can be overposed with horrific results.

Best to stick with the individual sliders. They're fairly explanatory, so find or build the expression you want from them.

Add a reason for him to look so happy...

And that's that. It's not perfect, but it's a quick and dirty happy-looking Demoman. Hope this helps, send me a Steam message and I'll see what else I can do :)
Last edited by TheCarpe on Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Heck's Kitchen - TVC'08 & '11 ** The Axecutioners - TVC'09 ** Hale's Angels - TVC'10 ** CCCP - TVC'12 ** Ville Cuppin' Cakes - TVC'13 ** TheCarpetbaggers - TVC'14 CHAMPIONS

Dirty Dan
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Dirty Dan » Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:16 pm

Oh sweet, this is just what I was looking for, covers most of the questions I had. I have a shindig I have to go to tonight, I'll try it later tonight or tomorrow and let you know how it goes, thanks!

TheCarpe
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by TheCarpe » Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:22 pm

The best way to learn GMod is by experimentation. Just screwing around and finding out all the possibilities is half the fun (building and realizing them is the other half :D)

KRG
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by KRG » Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:29 pm

Yup, just play around, click on stuff! That's how I learned. Posing takes a lot of practice, you'll get the hang of it soon enough. I made my sig below just goofing around in Gary's Mod.

The more you goof around, the more ideas you get. :D
I have a butt and you do too. Let's be friends.

arfy4
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by arfy4 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:50 pm

I mostly play role playing multiplayer.

Dirty Dan
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Dirty Dan » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:16 pm

Thanks again Carpe.

Dumb question, how do I rotate objects?

Also, when I use mouse 3 on heads, they spazz out, so I have to hope that when I freeze it, it stops at a normal spot. Does anyone else have that happen? It's a crap shoot.

I can definitely tell there are infinite possibilities to this thing...I'm having fun screwing around until villuns get home from work.

arfy4
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by arfy4 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:57 pm

I know for sure that the scout and sniper are not freezable from the head first, as they will slowly fall to the ground when you try.

TheCarpe
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by TheCarpe » Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:09 pm

Ah, that might be part of the problem. I have use rebound to mouse3, you might not. It's E by default.

Hold them with your physgun, hold use, and and move your mouse in the direction you want to rotate. Hold shift when you do and it will snap to perfect angles.

The heads are very limited in how they can move, so if you try and take them too far they'll go nuts, yes. Slow and careful movements are your best bet.

And yes, Arfy, TF2 models are heavy and won't freeze from the head first. You need to freeze the torso first and then the head.

Torven
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Torven » Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:40 pm

One other thing is that some of the steps in Carpe's tutorial might use right click by default instead of left click. Freezing models is one. Using the nocollide tool is another; left clicking on two objects allows them to clip through eachother, while right clicking on a single object allows it to clip through everything but the map (normally I just use right click so I don't have to worry if I add something else in).
'You might not have the intelligent to find it so i'll queto it for you' - Some guy trying to insult me on the Steam boards

TheCarpe
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by TheCarpe » Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:02 pm

:oops:

:doh:

Fixed.