Top Counter-Strike Players Embroiled In Hacking Scandal

A forum dedicated to CS and all its mods.
Flash
Site Admin
Site Admin
Minecraft name: FlashTVR

Games Played

Ville Awards

Snooze

Post by Flash » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:10 am

http://games.slashdot.org/story/14/11/2 ... ng-scandal

How to spot a hacker in Counter-Strike
http://www.redbull.com/en/esports/stori ... ting-guide

InBOUND HD
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Re: Top Counter-Strike Players Embroiled In Hacking Scandal

Post by InBOUND HD » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:27 am

Least there isn't hacking in comp tf2 :dance:

Plinko
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Plinko » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:17 am

InBOUND HD wrote:Least there isn't hacking in comp tf2 :dance:
That we know.
"I made all my gold into pants" - Ignatius

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:19 am

Sadly no surprise. Only way to really run a clean tournament is to have everybody in one place and force them to use company-provided equipment that's already on site, with nothing permitted to be installed. Let players bring a keyboard and mouse if they want, and give them 5 minutes to set up their keybinds with a person watching over their shoulder (doing it manually, no config files). Then you might have a clean tourney. Sadly, a group of hyper-competitive gamers with money on the line is not the recipe for honesty I wish it was.
-Boss Llama

Larry
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Larry » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:56 am

Have a nice VAC-ation, cheaters.
Thanks to Seagreens for the spiffy banner!
VIEW CONTENT:
RIP Mr. Laptop 5/21/13
USAHB-Team Hand Brake 2012 Villy-Stuff
#HL3 TVC '13
FAIL Warpath Cup 2012-Proud to FAIL
Heck's Kitchen 2011

eumoria
Everlasting Villun
Everlasting Villun
Blizzard tag: eumoria#1944

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by eumoria » Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:00 pm

Man am I not surprised. Just like 1.6 to heck with that community lol. Hackers.
InBOUND HD wrote:Least there isn't hacking in comp tf2 :dance:
Sarcasm I hope? Tons of hacking on all of Valve's games lol.

BigBiker05
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by BigBiker05 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:53 pm

Then to follow that up with the fnatic drama. Been quite a dreamhack!

BigBiker05
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by BigBiker05 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:22 pm

Here's a great explanation by a reddit user.

http://www.reddit.com/r/GlobalOffensive ... ch/cmg3spa

Also pasted below except without links to specifics.
Breakdown for the curious visitors coming from the inevitable #1 /r/all spot:

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive is a competitive FPS game, the third major version in the Counter-Strike series (excluding spin-offs)
Dreamhack Winter 2014 is the last major CS:GO tournament of this year. There's a $250k prize pool, and it's held in Sweden.
fnatic (Swedish) and LDLC (French) were the two teams favoured to win in terms of odds
fnatic and LDLC faced each other in the quarterfinals yesterday, in a best-of-3 game
The game went to a third tiebreaker map. It was played on de_overpass, a relatively new map in the competitive CS:GO scene.
At halftime, LDLC was in the lead over fnatic with a score of 12-3. After the side switch, LDLC also won the crucial pistol round, getting to 13-3 and well on the way to victory. 16 rounds wins the map.
At that point, fnatic began heavily abusing a previously unknown exploitative boost by putting a player in a "god spot" that gave him an overview of 3/4 of the map, letting him single-handedly shut down LDLC. This spot was not intended to be reachable by the map creator. fnatic abused this spot the rest of the game, winning the match.
LDLC felt cheated out of a victory by cheap tricks -- the community agreed, along with several other pro players from other teams
fnatic admitted they had known about this exploit for two months in Devilwalk's post-match interview, keeping it a secret specifically for this tournament. Keep in mind, they were supposed to help playtest this map and report exploits and bugs to Valve.
LDLC filed a dispute with the organisers
Over the next few hours, while the dispute was being processed by Dreamhack, community drama ensued, calling for fnatic to be disqualified or get a forced loss based on Dreamhack Summer 2013's ruleset
Five-six hours in, the official verdict comes out: Match will be replayed from the halftime score (12-3 in favour of LDLC). fnatic immediately files a similar complaint against LDLC, since LDLC used a separate boost spot. LDLC's boost is commonly used by several professional teams and is not nearly as gamebreaking as fnatic's god spot†
30 minutes later, Dreamhack changes their decision to a replay of the entire map, from 0-0
The community response was that this decision effectively condones fnatic's behaviour: Exploit the map/cheat when you're losing. Either you win and move on, or you get a free replay. Win-win situation.
Dreamhack organiser appears on an interview describing the decision. Some shifty rule changes, mental gymnastics, nitpicky technicalities and non-transparent ruling processes seemed to have taken place to reach the final verdict.
The community hate against fnatic and Dreamhack reaches new levels. Accusations against Dreamhack (Swedish tournament) treating fnatic (Swedish team) favourably start flowing.
fnatic finally cave in today and forfeit the grudge match. Unsure whether the players called the forfeiture to save their dignity, or if it's the higher-ups of the brand itself doing damage control (as fnatic is a big name across several games)
Bonus context: This juicy piece of drama is just a continuation of the last few weeks' truckloads of popcorn in the CS:GO competitive scene. A few professional players got VAC-banned recently after getting caught with sneaky beaky cheats. Distrust skyrocketed to new levels, and the witch hunt for other cheaters has been going strong. Lots of scrutiny has gone fnatic's way, with a large number of people convinced that some of them use hacks, especially flusha. While there is no conclusive evidence, the underhandedness of their play on overpass just fueled the hatred and scrutiny even further.

It's been an interesting couple of weeks for CS.

And don't even get me started on the skins from that match

†Edit: Several people are asking about LDLC's boost spot. I posted my take on it here. To clarify: LDLC used a different boost than fnatic. I guess the main point of contention is whether LDLC's boost is an exploit at all. Most people seem to disagree that it is, because it is typically used in the same manner as many other perfectly reasonable boosts in CS. Based on certain technicalities, it can be considered an exploit in certain situations, but LDLC did not seem to make use of that. Feel free to correct me on this, as there are a lot of nitpicky technicalities at play.

tl;dr: hatare ska hata

InBOUND HD
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by InBOUND HD » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:13 am

With all of this cheating I think CS kind of lost its reputation, because now whenever a player pulls off some amazing play, it will just be followed with skepticism of cheating because of the drama

BigBiker05
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by BigBiker05 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:55 pm

InBOUND HD wrote:With all of this cheating I think CS kind of lost its reputation, because now whenever a player pulls off some amazing play, it will just be followed with skepticism of cheating because of the drama
Like any competitive multiplayer game, this is already the case. I've been doing about a dozen comp CS matches a day for the last two weeks. I noticed hack blaming is usually just something low ranked players do. Not saying it's absent higher ranks, just more common low rank. Also the case with mic spamming, griefing and similar stuff.

Conclusively, Dreamhack had over 500,000 online live viewers. However, I don't know exactly what that means. 1/2 mil viewing at a given time? 1/2 mil all week? 1/2 mil unique viewers throughout week?

Hopefully CS continues to improve. I went years without playing it, but I really enjoy a competitive shooter that chooses gameplay and strategy over realism. I feel some actions of realism are impossible to achieve, so why damage gameplay, but that's a topic for another thread.

Plinko
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Plinko » Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:39 pm

BigBiker05 wrote: Conclusively, Dreamhack had over 500,000 online live viewers. However, I don't know exactly what that means. 1/2 mil viewing at a given time? 1/2 mil all week? 1/2 mil unique viewers throughout week?
Usually this means uniques throughout the event. Often they'll mention peak simultaneous viewers which should be a lot lower number.
"I made all my gold into pants" - Ignatius

Bronze Fox
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Bronze Fox » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:30 pm

InBOUND HD wrote:With all of this cheating I think CS kind of lost its reputation, because now whenever a player pulls off some amazing play, it will just be followed with skepticism of cheating because of the drama
This has been Counter-Strike forever, all the way back to 1.6.

This whole scandal has been interesting to read about. I suppose video game leagues aren't that different than other physical sport leagues.
People will always cheat and people will always try to hide it. Video gaming isn't an exception sadly.

BigBiker05
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by BigBiker05 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:40 pm

Bronze Fox wrote:
I suppose video game leagues aren't that different than other physical sport leagues.
People will always cheat and people will always try to hide it. Video gaming isn't an exception sadly.
I keep laughing when people say this is unique to video games. It's like really? Drug scandals happen all the time in major sports.

And honestly, vac still seems like a pretty good anti-cheat. Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Phantom, DayZ and Rust are recent games I've played with major cheating issues. However, I can only confirm running into a hacker ONCE in CS:GO. A few days ago me and sargee were playing and then a guy just near instantly kills 3 people across the map with one of the worst accuracy pistols. Even bigger note, the game mode we were playing upgrades your weapon every 2 kills.