DeafOfficeWorker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Ville Awards

Loading…

TFC memories

Post by DeafOfficeWorker » Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:55 pm

My TFC and Ville memories:

TFC was the first online game I ever played. I was introduced to TFC by JCOM. I've been addicted to online FPS ever since then.

My rig:

P2 450 mhz
128 mb RAM (maybe less, I can't remember)
16 mb Voodoo3 video card (top of the line at the time)
U.S.Robotics 56.6k phone modem
13 gb hard drive (here again, to the best of my recollection)
17" CRT (which I just recently replaced)

The Ville began as a server run in the back room at Robert E. Lee's and JCOM's place of employment (using the office T1 line). I think it was called Turkeyburgerville and Avantiville before it became known as The Ville.

There was no voice communication. :lol:

John Doe and Frag Failure were some of the original ville regulars before there was even a web page. I'm sure there were others who are still here, but my mind has become pickled since then. I played DoD:S with Finger Demon last night. He played TFC back in the day. Also, Cadman...and...I just can't remember. I think Munky was playing back then. Sorry. There was alot of great players then, I just can't remember all the names.

Anyone who insisted on using foul language got llama-ized. Anything they would type would appear as "bleeeet" and "ooooooorgle" in the chat.

When Day of Defeat first came out as an amateur mod, there were many who resisted the idea of running it on the Ville. Everyone was happy with TFC.

I'm going to open a beer and wipe away the tears of nostalgia. I'm sure more memories will come, and I'll try to post them in this thread. If anyone else remembers any of this stuff, feel free to add.

:)
[img]http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s68/pootleshooter/kpsdow.gif[/img]

l3eeron
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by l3eeron » Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:21 pm

Main thing I remember from playing here at the ville was the general from avanti (now in purple_villefight). And also playing on acropolis2 and BadaBing teaching me how to use an engy. Shortly after that I got hooked on NeoTF and started my own server and had a crack-up clan named [DMY] - Dont Mess Yourself - LOL!!!! We participated in some random matches but never had any real claim to fame - just havin FUN!

An other thing I TFC reminds me of is conc maps. I got really good at some of em.... some of em were just plain impossible.

Anyone else ever conc?

DeafOfficeWorker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: TFC memories

Post by DeafOfficeWorker » Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:27 pm

:D
Last edited by DeafOfficeWorker on Thu May 31, 2007 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DeafOfficeWorker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by DeafOfficeWorker » Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:30 pm

[quote="l3eeron";p="17906"] BadaBing ...NeoTF ...conc maps.[/quote]

Man, how could I have forgotten Bada!

NeoTF is when I was really getting into Day of Defeat (beta 1.0 :lol: ) and Tribes. I think I vaguely remember the conc maps. I certainly remember how to conc jump. :twisted:

DeafOfficeWorker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by DeafOfficeWorker » Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:00 pm

:oops:
Last edited by DeafOfficeWorker on Thu May 31, 2007 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John Doe
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by John Doe » Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:58 pm

Well, Mr. Doe remembers Avantiville from its Pre Avantiville days.

I signed on as an admin when it was still Turkeyburgerville, then a brief change to WarpathVille and then when Avanti came out Avantiville came into existance.

Robert E Lee was then known as Eddie Munster, Jcom was Jcom and Cadman was the 3rd man in charge at TurkeyburgerVille.....I offered to help, llamas were rampant even back then, Rob made me an admin, and I have been around ever since.

We didnt have no fancy AMXMod, Manamod or even Adminmod back then, all we had was rcon and I never could quite remember the commands to ban someone via Rcon :)

Shortly afterwards our next two admins were Silverone and Greebo and both are still with us.

I have so many memories of the Ville, many good, some bad but I forget about those fairly quickly as I am old. Some of the best times have been fun nights with Crowbar battles, sniping wars, Christmas custom TFC maps and all the fun stuff that we used to do. Actually we still do lots of fun stuff its just that the faces have changed over the years.

I will tip one back to salute all the great Villans that have come and gone and then I will tip another one back to salute all the great Villans that are with us these days.

GGs my friends, thanks for making the Ville the special place it is.

JD

DeafOfficeWorker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by DeafOfficeWorker » Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:20 pm

[quote="John Doe";p="17935"]
I will tip one back to salute all the great Villans that have come and gone and then I will tip another one back to salute all the great Villans that are with us these days.
GGs my friends, thanks for making the Ville the special place it is[/quote]

*gives JD a standing ovation :clap: x10 :dance: x10

llama_beans
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Post by llama_beans » Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:47 pm

Yep those were the good ole days. I can't remember if I started before it was the ville or after. I changed my name to llama beans because of the llama actions back then of making someone a llama. The first night I ever played here, and I had been playing tfc for about a week. Someone kicked me from the server because I was shooting my own people looking for spies. and I think I may have tossed a grenade into respawn. Once I learned the rules here, it was all great fun. Besides the ville I think I have played on a total of 5 other servers. Most was to check out maps and try them on tv3. I think at that time we had tv3 in the top 10 played tfc servers.

I like acropolis and short bus..

DeafOfficeWorker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by DeafOfficeWorker » Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:22 pm

[quote="llama_beans";p="17994"]I like acropolis and short bus..[/quote]

Oh crap! I totally forgot about short bus! Now that is a fun map! :D

Does anyone remember "mirror damage"? If you shot your teammates, you (instead of the victim) would take the damage of your attack.

So many steps had to be taken to discourage the llamas. :x I remember nightly bannings!

FragFailure
TVB Leadership
TVB Leadership

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by FragFailure » Thu May 31, 2007 8:57 pm

[quote="llama_beans";p="17994"]Yep those were the good ole days. I can't remember if I started before it was the ville or after. I changed my name to llama beans because of the llama actions back then of making someone a llama. The first night I ever played here, and I had been playing tfc for about a week. Someone kicked me from the server because I was shooting my own people looking for spies. and I think I may have tossed a grenade into respawn. Once I learned the rules here, it was all great fun. Besides the ville I think I have played on a total of 5 other servers. Most was to check out maps and try them on tv3. I think at that time we had tv3 in the top 10 played tfc servers.

I like acropolis and short bus..[/quote]

I still remember meeting up with LB in Rockford and getting trashed.
I still remember making visits to snipers.
TVB Founder - Established in September 2001

Carrying 4,219 high quality posts over from the old board

DeafOfficeWorker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by DeafOfficeWorker » Thu May 31, 2007 9:51 pm

You're going to play TF2, right Frag?

lancemantis
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by lancemantis » Thu May 31, 2007 10:24 pm

I just remember coming home from high school back then and playing for hours haha back when I was lancemantis-TPF- :D I never really played DoD because I was running on slow old dial up back then and didn't want to take the time to download it. I remember that fun mod that let engineers build Tesla coils quite well and all those fun little sound packs, the little models (statue and such) in avanti and the floating logos :D

Good times

This suddenly reminds me of WON too haha :D

I still remember rob, greebo, most of you guys that have been here for a long time :)

Then I had my huge break, and I've been kind of confused about what's been going on the past couple years :shock:

v.o.c
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by v.o.c » Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:04 am

well my memories of the ville only go back a few years, i found the ville looking for a dod server i liked, but i never found one so i stayed here.....jk.

now TFC i loved that game, i suffered from a real lack of sleep because of it, i only ever bounced around a few servers again looking for 1 i liked, i found 1 called newbie server, based in canada (see ive always liked lag, and in the dial up days it really was lag) but i loved the game and the people there, their rules were pretty much the same as here, but good players were asked to dumb down as it was geared up for noobs. i stayed there for a few years and made admin. my fave maps were flag run, red giant and well. i used to love going medic on well concing over the tunnel getting up to there attic grabbing the flag staying alive long enough to get to the battlements to throw the flag out for someone else to collect, then back up to the packs to get my health back.

man i miss TFC
Hey you Would'nt you like to be a vicious orange carrot too?

STEAM a Bi Product of tea.

DeafOfficeWorker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by DeafOfficeWorker » Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:49 am

[quote="v.o.c";p="28521"]in the dial up days it really was lag
[/quote]

Heh, no kidding. Sometimes it wasn't too awful, but I can't imagine playing on a dial-up connection now.

Remember when the TFC grenades would turn into wrapped presents on Christmas, and I think there was fireworks on the 4th. :D

Just for giggles, everyone post your TFC era system specs. :lol:

three_gunn
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by three_gunn » Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:55 am

i wish i was here when it all started. but it's my memory of jumping into avantiville for the first time and immediately getting that feeling that this place was different and unique from other servers. filled with friendlier regs and just a lot of laughs...good times. it was Trigger_Happy (RIP) that helped me feel at home once i finally registered to the forums because he and i constantly ran into each other..having great fights but we never talked until the ville. it's not a coincidence that i also choose the ville as my new home for TFC-everyone was just so welcoming. ...and of course the meet up in vegas was a lot of fun. it was my first and only time ever meeting fellow gamers from TFC in person.