CP_Big Ugly Comments And Suggestions Please

A forum dedicated to chat about maps and the Source SDK for any Mod including tips and tutorials.
Mad-Hammer
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

CP_Big Ugly Comments And Suggestions Please

Post by Mad-Hammer » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:49 pm

My heartfelt thanks to all those who jumped on tonight and tried out the Big Ugly. Now comes the hard part...........what needs fixed and what needs changed. If you like the map, please let me know. If you hate the map, and think it needs to be taken off the server, same goes, let me know. No sense it taking up good space if you don't like it.

I know some of the players didn't like some of the nobuilds and I know JD probably found some good griefing spots. I need those pointed out to me for the next release if there is a next release. That depends on player opinion.

Once again, thanks to all who showed up for the playtest.
Image[/center]

shimmybot
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by shimmybot » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:56 pm

Awe I missed it :(

So is bug ugly on TV4 now?

Mad-Hammer
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: CP_Big Ugly Comments And Suggestions Please

Post by Mad-Hammer » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:59 pm

Yep, Mr. Dog loaded it up this evening. Thank God, it didn't crash the server......... :)
Image[/center]

shimmybot
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by shimmybot » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:01 pm

haha, well good :) i'm looking forward to trying it sometime!

Masakari
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Masakari » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:08 pm

Yeah, I heard dog mention that the map was uploaded while I was playing on the DOD:S server, and then I simply waited until TV4 emptied up to load it on. :)

But the big point I can remember from playing:

-Red's spawn had some wall texture issues for me. Not sure if anyone else did.
-Generic lighting comments (Some areas turn ghostly white)
-No build zones need to be lessened.
-Personally, I'd lower the middle point's cap time.

Other than that, I enjoyed the map. Look forward to playing it more!
I am the 1%!

TheCarpe
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by TheCarpe » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:09 pm

OK, well here goes. First off, it really is great. I can see a really good time there. A few things that I would bring up:
  1. First off, as I showed you, RED Sniper dots don't seem to show on all textures. I tried it many different areas but the area where it's most pronounced is around the middle BLU spawn area. The dot just vanishes if placed against the ground or rocks behind, and with the big, wide area, it's really imperative to be able to see and avoid Sniper dots.
  2. Maybe I'm just not used to it, but I'm not a big fan of the "take the middle, get the advanced spawn" idea. It's extremely difficult to keep the defending team off your back when you're basically a short rocket travel away from the spawn door. It's also a bit odd for the attackers because while part of the team is capping the point, the rest have to, basically, spawn camp.
  3. I saw crafty Snipers getting all sorts of places they shouldn't be. You may want to player clip the top of the barbed wire fences outside RED Spawn. A couple of jumps from a roof and you've got a panoramic view of the middle battlefield and a good Sniper could absolutely decimate there.
  4. Weird lighting concerns, blah blah blah. Only reall trouble is with the tunnel leading from the middle to the RED spawn. It's got that bright light glaring at you when you go through the tunnel that fades into an arrow on a sign, it just looks out of place.
Hmm...that's about all I can think of. Very nice job, overall, though! :dance:
Heck's Kitchen - TVC'08 & '11 ** The Axecutioners - TVC'09 ** Hale's Angels - TVC'10 ** CCCP - TVC'12 ** Ville Cuppin' Cakes - TVC'13 ** TheCarpetbaggers - TVC'14 CHAMPIONS

Nick Mame
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Nick Mame » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:36 pm

I think only one radical change is needed from a game play perspective right now since it would change so much else about the map. The Red / Blu forward respawns should be swapped (or if that defeats their purpose, removed). If you defeat an offensive push at 2 and begin to push the enemy back towards the center, you actually push them back to their spawn before you even see the middle point. It makes it impossible for a counter-offensive to do any meaningful damage: if they progress further towards the center, the enemy respawns behind them back at 2. If they cease progressing, they end up spawn camping.

The current spawn placement forces the losing team to split up into two forces: those dedicated entirely to defense and those entirely to offense. There is no mid-field position: mid-field is the enemy respawn. And that is just confusing. I was rather surprised the first time I moved from 2 to 3 in a counter-attack and saw a respawn wave come out of the door right next to me.

Note that this is from the perspective of whichever team has the badlands building (not the gravel pit one).

So Uncivilized
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by So Uncivilized » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:00 am

Curse you martinis!!

How many martinis does it take to miss a new map??

2 + 2 Moscow Mules.

Still, my input on a new map would never match say, a Nick Mame or The Carpe.

Knowing my place, even while semi-inebriated is OK. Has a man ever been semi-inebriated? not me. The full version happens sometimes. Martini 2.0.

Oh, and btw, not the vodka version. This is the gin type.

Anyway, I'd have loved to see the new map, but I would have been convinced that TheCarpe and Nick Mame were right, anyway.

Will this map be popular on August 10? For me that is the question, as am stuck on dustbowl until Aug 9.

shimmybot
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by shimmybot » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:05 am

[quote="So Uncivilized";p="107928"]
Will this map be popular on August 10? For me that is the question, as am stuck on dustbowl until Aug 9.
[/quote]

Your devotion to this bender amazes me SU good job :lol:

Mad-Hammer
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Mad-Hammer » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:01 am

Okay, here will be my changes for B2.

Smaller No Build Zones on the cap points. I'll make the no builds as big as the trigger area and take it completely away from the small shed on Red's Second Cap.

I didn't see the snipers in spots where they shouldn't be able to get but I'll look at my player clips for a breech.

Carpe showed me where the sniper bullet dot doesn't show up on an area of the map. My only answer to this is, he was putting at a spot where there is an overlay of a path. I don't know if this is a Valve bug or a case of putting down a fresh overlay. I'll check the Valve wiki for a solution.

Now about the lighting. There was a method to the madness. There were a lot of complaints in regards to the light glare coming out of the cave near Cap 1 for Red. Ever come out of a tunnel and the glare from the sun temporarily blinds you, that was what I was after. If people find it annoying, I'll take it out because it's a distraction.

I'll tweak the timer on the middle cap to be a bit faster. l3 suggested the cap timers be slowed to avoid scout rushes. I may set the middle timer to the same as the team's second cap points as they are a bit faster setting at five instead of the middle's eight.

Next, the middle spawn points. To be honest, I never have liked how the middle spawns turned out. They are awkward and they demand spawn camping if you want to take the middle. Trouble is, the map is just big enough that it needs that extra spawn point. My options;

A. Take Nick's advice and simply switch the locations of Red and Blue's middle spawns to deter spawn camping.

B. Simply remove the spawns altogether. Trouble is, this puts a lot of pressure on the engies and encourages more scouts to make fast trips across the map.

C. Move the spawns closer to each teams second cap point. The Advanced spawn would only activate upon capture of the second cap point instead of the middle. I don't know if this would be so good as it's gonna mean some fierce fights between a team's 1st and 2nd cap points. Although, if you think about it, this would make it more of a Warpath type map without the long walk from spawn to the fight.

Last, missing textures, did anyone have the purple checkerboard or just a plain missing texture? For whatever reason, I have found what I call the Warpath bug. If I leave Warpath and immediately load up this map, I suffer from lost textures. It's like the engine doesn't want to load up fresh textures after playing Warpath. Just wondered if this was happening to anybody else.

If you all think of anything else, please let me know. I may shoot for a B2 release this weekend.
Image[/center]

DeafOfficeWorker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by DeafOfficeWorker » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:23 am

My suggestion is to put some kind a decal or sign on the destructible walls. I figured it out because I think every one of them has prop-up supports, but I think maybe something a little more obvious is needed.
[img]http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s68/pootleshooter/kpsdow.gif[/img]

Mad-Hammer
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Mad-Hammer » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:42 pm

Okay, here's the changelog for the B2 version

Spawn points remain the same areas but, key off the capture of the enemy's second capture point.

Changed the timing on the middle cap point. The middle doesn't take near as long to cap

No builds were made smaller around the cap points. Engies will be able to put their equipment in better defended positions

Tweaked the "Player Clip" around the silo. You now don't just run into an invisible wall

Put a "No Build" on top of Friar Tuck Mt so JD can't teleport people into traps

Put markers on all the demolishable walls; blue bombs for the BLU and red dynamite for the RED

If there are any more suggestions, now is your time to speak up or you'll have to wait until ver B3
Image[/center]

mr_s
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by mr_s » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:18 pm

I am sorry I sant there to help you test it.

Got too carried away with fortress forever