[WIP]avantiville

A forum dedicated to chat about maps and the Source SDK for any Mod including tips and tutorials.
Gizanked
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Gizanked » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:05 pm

I enjoy the engie nest area... my concerns for it are

1. is it too close to red's spawn? maybe it should be somehow located on the far side of the point? but then again there are some other nooks there too.

2. the clipping that room is wonky. not enough space to move around. I don't know if it just needs some vertex work to angle the clipping or what it is necessarily
http://www.tf2items.com/id/evagizanked
the artist formerly known as Replica

Flobee
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Re: [WIP]avantiville

Post by Flobee » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:54 am

Just thought I'd point out some odd clipping issues that you may or may not already be aware of. Not sure if my screenshots do it justice, but at least they'll show you the area I'm talking about, and you can check it out for yourself.

Vertical maneuverability classes can reach a couple of invisible platforms in this particular area.

I know nothing about how mapping works, but it's like the clipping for the wall there comes out a tad too far for where the wall actually is. When you stand down on the ground in that area, it's like there's an invisible wall in front of the wall, making the area more cramped than it looks.

I rule at explaining. :lol:
where doing this man.
where MAKING THIS HAPEN.

l3eeron
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by l3eeron » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:10 am

:lol:

I got it, pictures are worth 1000 words! I'll zoom in on that area and fine tune the clipping.

thanks a bunch Flobee

l3eeron
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by l3eeron » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:15 pm

If anyone is interested in seeing how the map is doing out there in the real world:

http://www.tf2stats.net/map_info/ctf_avantiville_b32/

I think it's doing well considering I have saturated the "market" with tons of releases, and the fact that I'm not really going out there and promoting the map etc. It's made it's way to other servers and feedback I'm getting is good!

KRG
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by KRG » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:08 pm

Gratz l3eery, it gets better every time I play it.
I have a butt and you do too. Let's be friends.

l3eeron
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by l3eeron » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:51 am

Interesting, there's 2 other servers that have this in their rotation, one of 'em is a Japanese server! :)

KRG
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by KRG » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:35 am

I remember once upon a time, helping out poor Stoney who could not figure out how to spawn an MG.

Now look at ya! :lol: You're global man!
I have a butt and you do too. Let's be friends.

Stevo
Everlasting Villun
Everlasting Villun
Minecraft name: StevoTVR
Uplay name: StevoTVR

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Stevo » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:44 am

We found an interesting bug the other night that allows someone to cap the second point first. To reproduce it, someone needs to take the flag to point 2 while a defense player is standing on it. As soon as the point is clear of defense players, it can be capped before the first point. You still have to cap it again to open the next area, however.

This might also be the cause of the defense spawn moving back prematurely, but I'm just guessing about that.

l3eeron
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by l3eeron » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:25 am

OMG, I know exactly why that happens...

The map could use an update, I'll be working on it.

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:34 am

If you're going to be taking a peek at it again, I've experienced a bizare glitch on the first point a couple times where the enemy can cap it through the floor. They just jump up against the ceiling right below the point, and it seizes the point no matter what kind of defense is stationed up above.

It's a great map, love playing it. Thanks for all your work on it!
-Boss Llama

l3eeron
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re:

Post by l3eeron » Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:19 pm

I'm taking suggestions, now that we've had tons of playtime on it. Every time I play, it seems like CP3 is almost impossible. For me, usually as a medic, there's no safe place to build an uber. I have always thought there should be a one way gate between 2 and 3. What do you guys think? Might make it too easy for blue?

One thing I can do is get rid of the ammo around CP3, to hinder red a little bit.

Also wonder if there should a vent like in turbine to get into CP4. It would connect from the "new" room on the side of CP4, as well as from the tunnel by CP4.

Thoughts?
Gizanked wrote:2. the clipping that room is wonky. not enough space to move around. I don't know if it just needs some vertex work to angle the clipping or what it is necessarily
fixed

Flobee wrote:Just thought I'd point out some odd clipping issues

fixed

Stevo wrote:We found an interesting bug the other night that allows someone to cap the second point first. To reproduce it, someone needs to take the flag to point 2 while a defense player is standing on it. As soon as the point is clear of defense players, it can be capped before the first point. You still have to cap it again to open the next area, however.

This might also be the cause of the defense spawn moving back prematurely, but I'm just guessing about that.

fixed

Alizée Fan wrote:If you're going to be taking a peek at it again, I've experienced a bizare glitch on the first point a couple times where the enemy can cap it through the floor. They just jump up against the ceiling right below the point, and it seizes the point no matter what kind of defense is stationed up above.
This one's got me stumped...

not sure what is going on, but I rebuilt the triggers in that area in the hopes that it fixes it.

Pine
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Re:

Post by Pine » Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:35 pm

l3eeron wrote:
Alizée Fan wrote:If you're going to be taking a peek at it again, I've experienced a bizare glitch on the first point a couple times where the enemy can cap it through the floor. They just jump up against the ceiling right below the point, and it seizes the point no matter what kind of defense is stationed up above.
Maybe you could try extending the roof of the inside of the point down a little bit?
Unless that covers the walkways then I don't have a clue

Ian_Suffix
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Ian_Suffix » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:10 pm

Couple things I noticed yesterday-- there's a non-clipped little gap behind cover at the first point behind one of the diagonal girders (which I recommend are modified to not be diagonal or removed), furthest from the ramp up to the point.

Also, the truck at the BLU spawn is of the non-modified obnoxiously shiny variety, and also is flying.

Flobee
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Flobee » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:49 pm

Do you have a problem with shiny flying trucks? I think they're pretty sweet.
where doing this man.
where MAKING THIS HAPEN.

Ian_Suffix
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Ian_Suffix » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:22 pm

Well, sir, shiny flying trucks gave me a real headache back when I was still working on Camping Trip. So yeah, yeah I do. To elaborate, this was when I learned about the env_tonemap_controller entity, which, among other things, allows you do reduce the exposure effects with HDR. The BLU truck is by default 100% reflective, so combine that with too much bloom and you get a sun shaped like a truck.