[WIP]avantiville

A forum dedicated to chat about maps and the Source SDK for any Mod including tips and tutorials.
MrBlah
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by MrBlah » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:13 pm

Beeron, you need to finish this pronto! :D
Eater of Potatoes, since 2008.

I am driven by two main philosophies: know more today about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you.
― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Gizanked
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Gizanked » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:32 pm

[quote="Atreus";p="168745"][quote="Gizanked";p="168743"]there is more than 1 way to get to cap 1...[/quote]It was in reference to how many people stupidly go to the second point and then wonder what's wrong. Or, take it from _x_ point back to the first blue spawn.[/quote]

yeah... that does get annoying.
http://www.tf2items.com/id/evagizanked
the artist formerly known as Replica

l3eeron
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by l3eeron » Fri May 01, 2009 7:06 pm

OK!
Here's an other step in the right direction.....

ctf_avantiville_b27

Download the .bsp HERE

Download the .bz2 HERE

Lots of changes in this update:

- Fixed game scoring
- Rescaled entire 2nd half of map down about 1/4
- Added various gameplay terrain/prop features
- Added Custom objectives menu and photos
- Added gameplay text (must have min HUD disabled)
- Reduced max time to 8 minutes
- Reduced flag return from 60 to 30
- Improved lighting
- Improved signs
- Moved caps to the Control points 1 and 4 back.
- Closed hole in roof of CP3 hut
- Fixed prop collisions
- Player Clipped roofs off by CP3, and other various additions
- Added nobuild in the breakable doorway

I hope you enjoy!
Last edited by l3eeron on Fri May 01, 2009 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Atreus
Villun
Villun
Loading…

Post by Atreus » Fri May 01, 2009 7:14 pm

We'll go for a playtest later tonight, assuming you're available :)

Plinko
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Plinko » Mon May 11, 2009 11:01 am

We ran through this the other night, I hadn't had a chance to play the newest version.

Point 1 is a lot better now, spam alone should not not be enough to hold the team back from point 1.

I think point 2 is lowered a bit too much (or at least the raised ground makes it too easy to get up that way), make them sticky or rocket jump to bypass the ramp, as it is it's too easy to get up that way.

I like the scaledown, though I think point 3 is still much too wide open to be considered hard to cap. There's just nowhere to build a sentry that is even moderately well protected from snipers, rockets and stickies. A well-palaced wall or two could create one, but as it is, defending that point is a function of how well the combat classes can keep BLU way back toward their spawn more than any pair of engies.

On point 3, the open spawn right behind the point is a problem, anyone on RED can sit in there and spam/snipe relatively unchallenged except by a BLU sniper or demo since they have a giant health and no one can enter to attack them . Might be worth putting doors on it or making the exit face another direction.

Lastly, I think it's a big problem that BLU spawns move up to right on the previous point with each cap. Since you can cap without clearing the point, suddenly what was a defensive sentry is pointing right at the new spawn door. That happened when we were defending first round the other day, I didn't even realize it until I got admin-messaged (and as I was dead and waiting 20 more seconds to respawn I couldn't even destroy it, by that time it had killed several people in the initial BLU first wave and they managed to kill it themselves). You can't depend on people to figure that out on their own, and a map shouldn't be designed to require admin action or player conscience to prevent spawn sentry-placement.

Can an event be worked in to destroy sentries after a cap and allow a longer set up time (we had a map on TV2 that set up an extraordinary set up)? Otherwise I would highly recommend BLU spawn a bit away from the cap points. Defending the intel from pickup should be a valid strategy, it was on all the previous TF2 versions of avanti I've played.
"I made all my gold into pants" - Ignatius

l3eeron
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by l3eeron » Tue May 12, 2009 8:32 am

Awesome feedback thank you!

And really, you have just confirmed alot of things I feel are "broken"

I'm really considering making this either a pl_ map or an attack defend cp map. I just don't have the skill or time to make this ctf mode work for everyone. So, I'm probably going to fall back on a more proven game mode to help this map stay on it's feet.

Bronze Fox
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Bronze Fox » Wed May 13, 2009 2:01 pm

Beeron, the option is purely yours. You should only continue working on this map if you are having fun with it. If you personally don't think it is worth your time and effort then you should quit working on this map.

No one should hate you for making your decision.

KRG
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Re: [WIP]avantiville

Post by KRG » Wed May 13, 2009 2:53 pm

Except me, I loathe him entirely!!!

Played this map for a while and I enjoyed it. I definitely agree with the spawn issues on 3 though. Great job B!
I have a butt and you do too. Let's be friends.

Plinko
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Plinko » Wed May 13, 2009 3:52 pm

I would not make such specific and detailed criticism if two things were not true:

1. That it seems to me |3wants this to be a great, well-loved map and wants our detailed feedback to getting it there. If he was just tossing it out there asking for a thumbs-up or down, I'd just give that.

and 2: Because the map is quality enough to justify the little tweaks and improvements. A crappy map is not even worth picking over, a good map is really worth it. In other words, the amount of nitpicky criticism of a work-in-progress should be viewed as inversely proportional to the quality of said work!

l3eeron
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by l3eeron » Wed May 13, 2009 4:13 pm

absolutely, I do feel complimented any time a person spends the time to point out things to better the map. I encourage it, of course!

Oh, yes, Plinko, the major things you pointed about CP3 and the way the spawns advance would have to be fixed regardless of game type. My curiosity to change the game type stems from a post I read that even the hardiest and most knowledgeable mappers have a hard time balancing this game type while keeping it fun for each class. Considering I've only recently got a handle on achieving acceptable frame rates, I have only just begun to scratch at the surface of balance issues and playability....

I've never made it this far on map, so I'm really just flyin' by the seat o' my pants! :lol:

Atreus
Villun
Villun
Loading…

Post by Atreus » Wed May 13, 2009 6:28 pm

I, for one, hope you continue doing it CTF style. There's a severe lack of fun CTF maps in TF2, and our server loves the classic avanti feel. Sequential CTF is great :D

Plinko
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Plinko » Wed May 13, 2009 6:47 pm

I agree with Atreus, |3. I like the sequential flag capping, though I understand the balance difficulties it creates. I am not sure if there's a good way to allow red to block caps (even if you could, the intel will be dropped on the point when the carrier dies, most likely!).

Bronze Fox
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Bronze Fox » Wed May 13, 2009 8:25 pm

Beeron, is it makes you feel better, I always vote for your map during in-game polls. :)

Rits
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Rits » Wed May 13, 2009 9:41 pm

[quote="Bronze Fox";p="172270"]
Beeron, is it makes you feel better, I always vote for your map during in-game polls. :)
[/quote]

As do I. I just love Avanti too much to let it go!

Guardian
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Guardian » Wed May 13, 2009 10:09 pm

It's hardly hated at all:

Look: http://www.theville.org/tv2ratings.php

It's the #1 highest rated map on TV2.

The map is fine it just needs a few tweak here and there. Don't give up now B!

Also having red blocking a capture would solve half of these problems... and moving the blue spawns...