CP_Rainier - 5CP Push Map - Current Ver.: A7A

A forum dedicated to chat about maps and the Source SDK for any Mod including tips and tutorials.
MateoTheBold!
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Re: CP_Rekkit (5CP Push Map) - Current Version: A6

Post by MateoTheBold! » Sat May 11, 2013 6:41 pm

When's the next play test (hint: mon or tue?)

:)

Warpath Cup- FU-2011, FAIL 2012
Villeympics- BB 2011, USAHB 2012
Ville Cup- HK 2011, SNES 2012, :TIME: 2013, CTB 2014

Will T.
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Will T. » Sat May 11, 2013 7:42 pm

MateoTheBold! wrote:When's the next play test (hint: mon or tue?)

:)
Tuesday evening would be an ideal testing time for me. Now that it's ready to begin testing on TV2, once it's loaded onto the server, standard server admins should be able to call it up any time we want rather than having to wait for a Ville Council person to call it up on the event server. It's all a matter of getting it loaded onto TV2 at this point.

black_and_blue
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by black_and_blue » Sat May 11, 2013 8:33 pm

Will T. wrote:Tuesday evening would be an ideal testing time for me.
Yay! There's a good chance I'll actually be able to make it for that!

Will T.
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Will T. » Sat May 11, 2013 11:00 pm

After much consideration, I think I have finally settled on a finalized name for this map: Rainier. It fits the mountain theme as it is inspired by Mt. Rainier, visible from much of the Seattle area.

I have tried to find another TF2 map with this name, but have been unable to find one. If anyone else knows of another map using this name already, please let me know as I don't want to name my map the same as someone else's map. Otherwise, this map will soon be known as CP_Rainier!

Zork Nemesis
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Zork Nemesis » Sat May 11, 2013 11:28 pm

Will T. wrote:CP_Rainier!
I saw that name, first thing I thought of: Rainier Wolfcastle, aka McBain!

This is hard to be cool and suave while being informative at the same time. Goddamn my coolness.
In my experience, common sense isn't too common.

Will T.
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: CP_Rainier (aka Rekkit) - 5CP Push Map - Current Ver.: A

Post by Will T. » Thu May 16, 2013 1:45 pm

Valve broke Hammer again.

This is how maps look in-game now when compiled under the current version of Hammer. Funnily enough, that's pretty close to how they look in Hammer itself. :P

As such, this project is once again on hold until a solution is found. I was hoping to push out a minor update today and get a testing session scheduled, but with this new issue that clearly isn't happening just yet. I want to hold off on testing on TV2 until I can compile a version of the map under the new Rainier name, in order to avoid potential future confusion regarding the name change for anyone who plays the map but isn't a part of the Ville.

EDIT: Well that was fast - somebody already found a solution!

A new version is now available here. Not a whole lot is changed - the biggest change is the name, which is now officially changed to Rainier. Here is a full changelog:

-Changed map name from Rekkit to Rainier
-Fixed a misaligned texture on the shed near the RED final point
-Fixed dev textures still visible on the BLU side
-Changed the middle building's lower walls to be metal instead of wood
--After looking at numeous pictures of Valve-made alpine assets, I decided that I wanted more neutral metallic structures in the map. Plus I didn't like how monochrome the central building was.
-Minor tweaks to wood trim on several walls on the RED side
Last edited by Will T. on Fri May 17, 2013 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zork Nemesis
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Zork Nemesis » Thu May 16, 2013 11:31 pm

Will T. wrote:A new version is now available here.
File not found: deleted or moved.

The front page link seems to work:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/j9jsq9m7sf81c ... er_a6b.bsp

This is hard to be cool and suave while being informative at the same time. Goddamn my coolness.
In my experience, common sense isn't too common.

Will T.
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Will T. » Fri May 17, 2013 2:17 am

Yeah, something on Dropbox went screwy earlier today. Link is fixed above, and is also available here.

Will T.
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Will T. » Sat May 25, 2013 1:12 am

New version is ready!

Changelog:

-Removed a sliding door near the forward points
-Removed a window in the forward buildings near the forward points, for optimization as well as aesthetics
-Removed a doorway at mid at the ends of the forward buildings opposite the spawnrooms
-(Mostly) Fixed being able to see out of/through the map from the death pits at mid
-Reorganized skybox brushes to make detailing the rooftops of buildings easier (much more reorganization still to come)
-Lots of detailing additions and fixes all around
-Added hint brushes to doorways and windows (should help with optimization)
-Func_detailed several map objects that should have been already, but weren't for whatever reason
-Added more arrows to guide players forward through the map
-Various other adjustments, corrections, and cleanup

I will have only sporadic Internet access until after Monday, and only on public networks, meaning that a test will have to wait until after Memorial Day is over. I feel like this map is getting very close to complete layout-wise. Once I'm comfortable with the layout, I can officially move it on to Beta status! At that point the layout as it is will be set pretty much in stone, with only minor changes to be made during beta. The bulk of the map's detail work will be done then.

If anyone has any major feedback regarding the layout of the map, speak now or forever hold your peace. :P Once this goes beta, changing the layout will become very tough! It already sort of is, as I feel I got a bit carried away with the detail level for a map still in alpha... :P

Will T.
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Will T. » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:49 pm

Updated today. Nothing major this time - just the removal of an obsolete player-clip brush at the RED base which could interfere with explosive-jumping classes. There have also been a few detailing tweaks all around, including a few new windows and non-working doors.

Download here!

I need to get in touch with Stevo so that I can get this version uploaded to TV2 for a test soon. I haven't had any time to work on this lately since I was in crunch mode for a major school project, but that has just finished, so I have a brief reprieve now in which testing could take place.

Will T.
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: CP_Rainier - 5CP Push Map - Current Ver.: A8

Post by Will T. » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:57 pm

After a lengthy hiatus due to school, this thing is back! A8 is ready to go. (It actually has been for quite some time, but ... school happened. :P)

There are some significant differences at the final point in this one, namely a third entrance has been added to the structure containing the point which allows attackers to get to the point without passing near the defenders' spawn doors. Additionally, the staircase across from the final point is now indoors in order to remove a new sightline that was created by the new entrance to the point.

Besides that, the buildings between the forward points and mid are now more open inside, and the last of the dev textures at mid are gone. The rooftops of the side buildings at mid have been opened up to explosive-jumping classes on the sides facing the central building, and props have been added to other rooftops in the area to make them more obviously inaccessible. This addition of props to inaccessible rooftops has also taken place on the BLU side of the map to make the rooftops more clearly out-of-bounds.

All changes beyond that are cosmetic, I believe. There have been a lot of props added.

Download here.

I'm almost ready to solidify this layout and commit this to beta, at which point layout changes will cease except for potential small tweaks here and there, with the remainder of development being devoted to aesthetics and theming. I would like to test this one more time before doing so though.