Old Map, New Paint

A forum dedicated to chat about maps and the Source SDK for any Mod including tips and tutorials.
MateoTheBold!
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Re: Old Map, New Paint

Post by MateoTheBold! » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:50 am

Mad-Hammer wrote:

So, as I'm about to hit the "compile" button, what are the thoughts concerning all these tunnels and caves I added?
That's what has me most excited about warhammer. The reskinning/minor changes are cool, but what has me most excited are the additional tunnels. Breaching mid on warpath2 really alters the feel on that map, so I'm curious as to how these new tunnels will impact the game.

Further, it seems like the additional tunnels address some of the main criticisms about warpath, but hopefully do so in a way that keeps the old warpath feel intact. Hard to tell until we get some full games in.

Warpath Cup- FU-2011, FAIL 2012
Villeympics- BB 2011, USAHB 2012
Ville Cup- HK 2011, SNES 2012, :TIME: 2013, CTB 2014

Mad-Hammer
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Mad-Hammer » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:57 pm

I hate to do it to you all but, I have to release another version. Our crack team of Ville Bug Busters found a couple of things that while not a deal breaker, caused some minor problems.

Betteh found a graphical glitch in the skybox along with a bug with the cave/tunnel doors that allowed an engineer to build on them and block them from closing. So, I tweaked the skybox for the hundredth time and put a "NoBuild" in the entire cave so the engineers couldn't hide their teleporters in the water.

So, if you haven't done it yet.......delete b1, b2, b3, and...................b4. Trust me, you'll be glad you did as you will recover approximately a half gig of your hard drive.

If we don't find any problems with this version between now and Friday, this will be the version we'll play Saturday night. Find it here;

http://pages.suddenlink.net/kamikazeyz/ ... mer_b5.zip

Once again, thanks for your support and your input. :D
Image[/center]

BETTEH
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by BETTEH » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:22 pm

The engy gear wasnt keeping the doors from closing, just a player. Clay just happened to derp around with the dispenser with the picture, but we tested all doors and were able to wedge bodies in them to shuffle players through still.
2004 DOD Ville Cup Champs - Hobo Strike Squad
Fanciful Unicorn! 2011 Warpath Cup + Villympics Champs.

Mad-Hammer
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Mad-Hammer » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:21 am

BETTEH CROCKHURR wrote:The engy gear wasnt keeping the doors from closing, just a player. Clay just happened to derp around with the dispenser with the picture, but we tested all doors and were able to wedge bodies in them to shuffle players through still.
I saw the picture and I just assumed you all used a dispenser to jam the door in the open position. That to me would have been a real big issue as well as hiding teleports in the water.

As far as the gates go, I used the settings that Valve used on their Dustbowl gates. They are set as "force closed". Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. If it becomes a big issue, I guess I could install some sort of invisible barrier that is set on toggle. Maybe something that would kill a player standing in the way of the gate upon activation.

For now, if it's okay with everyone, let's just use version 5. We'll play it then give everyone an opportunity to voice what tweaks should be made before I call this map final. It may work out that those caves are a game breaker and will need to be deactivated with majority opinion.
Image[/center]

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:48 am

If you're using a func_movelinear with the gate (I haven't looked at which one they're talking about), there is a Block Damage keyvalue you can set that will do damage to anybody or anything blocking it from moving, thus eliminating them/it. I like that better than a trigger_hurt, as it won't inadvertently hit anybody while not moving, and you don't have to mess with flagging active or inactive.
-Boss Llama

Mad-Hammer
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Mad-Hammer » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:01 am

Alizée Fan wrote:If you're using a func_movelinear with the gate (I haven't looked at which one they're talking about), there is a Block Damage keyvalue you can set that will do damage to anybody or anything blocking it from moving, thus eliminating them/it. I like that better than a trigger_hurt, as it won't inadvertently hit anybody while not moving, and you don't have to mess with flagging active or inactive.
They're talking about the tunnel gates that activate and open when RED or BLU lose their second point. I never thought about the block damage key value as a way around this. Thanks Alizee
Image[/center]

Mad-Hammer
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Mad-Hammer » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:48 am

In playtesting Saturday night, everyone seemed to like the idea of tunnel gates, just with one problem. Some of the comments were that in my effort speed up the flow of the game, the gates gave too much advantage to the attackers. More like, the actual location of the gate. So, I've been thinking, what if I forced the attackers to have to exit out of the building where the snipers normally hangs out.
Image[/center]

THE Flying chihuahua
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by THE Flying chihuahua » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:50 am

Mad-Hammer wrote:In playtesting Saturday night, everyone seemed to like the idea of tunnel gates, just with one problem. Some of the comments were that in my effort speed up the flow of the game, the gates gave too much advantage to the attackers. More like, the actual location of the gate. So, I've been thinking, what if I forced the attackers to have to exit out of the building where the snipers normally hangs out.
In the right bunker thing? Sure why not.
Imagepeahats made this because he is awesome.
Any semblance of wit is accidental, imagined, or medication related.
Minecraft ID is scatzilla99

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:45 am

Mad-Hammer wrote:In playtesting Saturday night, everyone seemed to like the idea of tunnel gates, just with one problem. Some of the comments were that in my effort speed up the flow of the game, the gates gave too much advantage to the attackers. More like, the actual location of the gate. So, I've been thinking, what if I forced the attackers to have to exit out of the building where the snipers normally hangs out.
I disagree about it giving too much advantage to attackers, as breaking the turtle is what really needs to be done. If attackers exit out in to the right hand building, they're getting stuck in the same chokepoint they get stuck in anyway, and the turtle is back with a vengeance. Slowing the opening of the gate by 5 seconds is valid to allow fall-back time, though you might consider using a super-slow gate speed (think B-C gate on Steel) to add the delay, rather than simply a long wait command - that way the causal relationship is clear, but the defenders still get a sec to prepare.

Another consideration is that the exceedingly slow open/close time on the final-point-side gate, which I imagine is meant to give the people using it pause and defenders time to react, would be near pointless if the gate were in the bunker, because it wouldn't be visible to the main field, nor subject to defensive fire that regulates its use in the present location. It would still bypass the fence junction, but that rarely remains the front line for long. It's the chokepoints in to final itself that I usually see being the biggest barrier.

Another random item, which may or may not be what was intended, is that the current gate layout is a great tool for defenders to flank around the attackers and either back-cap 2, or eliminate teleport entrances. I didn't expect it to matter as much as it did, but we routinely could back-cap with just two people and no planning, by going that way. Moving the gate in to the bunker would mean that defensive traffic headed in to the cave system underneath would be plainly visible to attackers, and they would be able to preemptively block the route any time somebody used it, while the same would not be true in reverse. It's use more balanced with both sides concealed from the other team.
-Boss Llama

BETTEH
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by BETTEH » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:14 pm

Another consideration is that the exceedingly slow open/close time on the final-point-side gate, which I imagine is meant to give the people using it pause and defenders time to react, would be near pointless if the gate were in the bunker, because it wouldn't be visible to the main field, nor subject to defensive fire that regulates its use in the present location. It would still bypass the fence junction, but that rarely remains the front line for long. It's the chokepoints in to final itself that I usually see being the biggest barrier.
Sticky Traps + Machina = Non Functioning Gate
2004 DOD Ville Cup Champs - Hobo Strike Squad
Fanciful Unicorn! 2011 Warpath Cup + Villympics Champs.

Mad-Hammer
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Mad-Hammer » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:06 pm

My thoughts were this, in the spirit of compromise. Leave the gate available to the defender. The attacker would be forced to exit to the bunker giving the wary defenders time to prepare for the assault. Also allows for the defenders to dispose of the attackers from behind before the enemy can set off an uber-charge.

I know this may be a bit retarded but it may take care of the wonkiness of this gate. As it's built, it has two trigger mechanisms. On one side it filters only the defending team, allowing for it to open and close. To the cave side, the trigger is set up to allow the defender to open the gate but they have no means to retreat. So, if I force the attackers to the bunker, I can get rid of that trigger.
Image[/center]

MateoTheBold!
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by MateoTheBold! » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:12 pm

Alizée Fan wrote:
I disagree about it giving too much advantage to attackers, as breaking the turtle is what really needs to be done. If attackers exit out in to the right hand building, they're getting stuck in the same chokepoint they get stuck in anyway, and the turtle is back with a vengeance. Slowing the opening of the gate by 5 seconds is valid to allow fall-back time, though you might consider using a super-slow gate speed (think B-C gate on Steel) to add the delay, rather than simply a long wait command - that way the causal relationship is clear, but the defenders still get a sec to prepare.

Another random item, which may or may not be what was intended, is that the current gate layout is a great tool for defenders to flank around the attackers and either back-cap 2, or eliminate teleport entrances. I didn't expect it to matter as much as it did, but we routinely could back-cap with just two people and no planning, by going that way. Moving the gate in to the bunker would mean that defensive traffic headed in to the cave system underneath would be plainly visible to attackers, and they would be able to preemptively block the route any time somebody used it, while the same would not be true in reverse. It's use more balanced with both sides concealed from the other team.

I agree. Keep the layout as is!

One of the biggest complaints about warpath I hear in game, and one I agree with, is the turtling that occurs on 5th point. The new tunnel layout helps the defenders as much as the offensive team. Spys can easily open it for the defensive team, or you can wait for the attackers to open it for you.

Having that separation between the long tunnel on the right, and the new cave tunnels affords back capping opportunities and mixes things up a bit.

Maybe try to organize some more play testing or a poll to see what everyone thinks? It may have been a vocal minority that was expressing their displeasure with the current change.

Warpath Cup- FU-2011, FAIL 2012
Villeympics- BB 2011, USAHB 2012
Ville Cup- HK 2011, SNES 2012, :TIME: 2013, CTB 2014

Mad-Hammer
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Mad-Hammer » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:46 pm

Version cp_warhammer_b6 is hot off the pakrat. You can find it here;

http://pages.suddenlink.net/kamikazeyz/ ... mer_b6.zip

Changes:

Modified the skybox at Point 2

Changed the timer on the cave gates; If the attackers take the defender's second point, there is now a 10 second delay before the caves open for access. Changed in an effort to give the defenders more time to prepare a defense.

Moved the boulders at point 2, made them equidistant

Proper texture now loaded for the rocket gantry

Water texture in caves changed to "water_well"

Gates in lower tunnels and at Point 1- 10 damage per fps if you attempt to block open (Pretty much you attempt to block those gates...don't call a medic, don't call an ambulance, call a coroner....you're dead....Prepare for respawn)

Moved boulders at Point 1 as they were somewhat different in alignment between the two points

Draw distance for dynamite boxes in cave increased to stop the "Popping Effect"

Corrected the textures at BLU base

Further optimization of the map and textures

Added some additional visual elements that don't affect gameplay.
Image[/center]

M's
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by M's » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:17 am

I'll give it a run this morning.

M's
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by M's » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:26 am

Allow me to rephrase that.
As soon as Steam/VALVe get their act togther. And allows me to even launch Steam. i will run it.