Old Map, New Paint

A forum dedicated to chat about maps and the Source SDK for any Mod including tips and tutorials.
Soup Nazi
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Re: Old Map, New Paint

Post by Soup Nazi » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:06 pm

I didn't get a chance to playtest or check clipping on B8, so I suppose I'll wait for F1. (= It's getting close man, you're doing amazing.
=USV= [BB] [IV] [WARPATH] [USAHB] :TIME: :TOOL:

MateoTheBold!
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by MateoTheBold! » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:45 pm

f1....it brings a tear to my eye. :cry:

Warpath Cup- FU-2011, FAIL 2012
Villeympics- BB 2011, USAHB 2012
Ville Cup- HK 2011, SNES 2012, :TIME: 2013, CTB 2014

Mad-Hammer
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Mad-Hammer » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:05 pm

Soup Nazi wrote:I didn't get a chance to playtest or check clipping on B8, so I suppose I'll wait for F1. (= It's getting close man, you're doing amazing.
It's still on the event server if you want to look it over.
Image[/center]

Soup Nazi
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Soup Nazi » Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:10 pm

On it. Gimme an hour

Soup Nazi
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Soup Nazi » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:46 pm

Ok. That should be everything. I did find some minor stuff i didn't document, but most were quasi-ledges which i couldnt ever stay on consistently. Anyways, between Mateo and I, we should have caught everything you may have missed.

He's my Screenshot library. Everything today was b8
http://steamcommunity.com/id/i_like_pi/ ... 9302439852

Mad-Hammer
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Mad-Hammer » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:32 am

I already posted this in another thread but, just in case you all are still following this one, I'll post here too. I just released cp_warhammer_f1. Most of the changes implemented were fixes that you the Bug Testers found. Made a few graphical changes, added some displacements, some rocks to cover up weirdness caused by merged brushes.

You can find the map here on the Fast Download Server;

http://fastdl.thevilluns.org/tf2/maps/c ... f1.bsp.bz2
Image[/center]

KajiVena
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by KajiVena » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:43 am

Mad-Hammer wrote:I already posted this in another thread but, just in case you all are still following this one, I'll post here too. I just released cp_warhammer_f1. Most of the changes implemented were fixes that you the Bug Testers found. Made a few graphical changes, added some displacements, some rocks to cover up weirdness caused by merged brushes.

You can find the map here on the Fast Download Server;

http://fastdl.thevilluns.org/tf2/maps/c ... f1.bsp.bz2
I was in the mood for some Warpathhammer while suffering from insomnia. Thanks!

Steam: KajiVena
DeviantArt: Mackinz
Minecraft: Mackinz

KV's One Stop Drop Shop

KajiVena
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by KajiVena » Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:55 pm

Okay, from the runs I did of the map, I have to say that, though I like the changes made to the game, all the alternate pathways that were added and the allowance of Spies up on the wrangler perches on second, I did note a couple of issues, one of which is more personal than anything:

First, the ladder up to the wrangler perches is going to be plenty hard and blatantly obvious to use on an actual defense, considering a Spy has to go all the way up to and along the narrow walkway and towards the ladder. I think lengthening the ladder to ground level would be a good solution here as it would make Spies less obvious as they can approach it from behind much easier. Perhaps even one more ladder, which would allow Spies more than just one predictable path up there.

Second, I just did not get the Warpath feel while I was playing it. Sure, I knew most of the layout of the top of my head, but the continued greenery threw me off. I know it's plenty late in the development of the map (look at me, coming in on the first final version), but could you consider making the map less green and grey and, maybe, more grey and brown? I'm not sure. Some color changes to make it more Warpath-esque would satisfy my palette.

Edit: While on the subject of the second point, I'd like to suggest two things further:

A path from where the health kit/ammo pack are to the house people jump on and over. This would be insanely helpful for Engineers moving forward with their team, and adds an additional route for revved up Heavies, as well as helping in any future updates that introduce a reduced speed mechanic for something.

Also, make it so that second points are locked and capped, like any other 5CP map. This is just to bring it in line with the others, and increase the likelihood of the map getting added to the game itself. It's also always kinda bothered me that you have to cap the second points before you can engage the midfight...

Steam: KajiVena
DeviantArt: Mackinz
Minecraft: Mackinz

KV's One Stop Drop Shop

Soup Nazi
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Soup Nazi » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:05 pm

KajiVena wrote:Okay, from the runs I did of the map, I have to say that, though I like the changes made to the game, all the alternate pathways that were added and the allowance of Spies up on the wrangler perches on second, I did note a couple of issues, one of which is more personal than anything:

First, the ladder up to the wrangler perches is going to be plenty hard and blatantly obvious to use on an actual defense, considering a Spy has to go all the way up to and along the narrow walkway and towards the ladder. I think lengthening the ladder to ground level would be a good solution here as it would make Spies less obvious as they can approach it from behind much easier. Perhaps even one more ladder, which would allow Spies more than just one predictable path up there.

Second, I just did not get the Warpath feel while I was playing it. Sure, I knew most of the layout of the top of my head, but the continued greenery threw me off. I know it's plenty late in the development of the map (look at me, coming in on the first final version), but could you consider making the map less green and grey and, maybe, more grey and brown? I'm not sure. Some color changes to make it more Warpath-esque would satisfy my palette.

Edit: While on the subject of the second point, I'd like to suggest two things further:

A path from where the health kit/ammo pack are to the house people jump on and over. This would be insanely helpful for Engineers moving forward with their team, and adds an additional route for revved up Heavies, as well as helping in any future updates that introduce a reduced speed mechanic for something.

Also, make it so that second points are locked and capped, like any other 5CP map. This is just to bring it in line with the others, and increase the likelihood of the map getting added to the game itself. It's also always kinda bothered me that you have to cap the second points before you can engage the midfight...
I agree on your final idea of having cp2 capped at startup. I guess I never really thought about that. So yea, I'm all for that, if it means a chance to be a legit map.

As for color: Negativo. Twas one of the major changes, and it looks freaking gorgeous.

The ladder I think would be a little silly having it go all the way down, it doesn't make sense from a gameplay standpoint or stylistically. Who would have a ladder leading from the most easily accessible area to the most secure? And there isn't just the one route. A spy could get on the large bunker, jump to the wall of the point, and walk around easily to the ladder.

That's my biased and annoying analysis of your well written post XP

Mad-Hammer
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Mad-Hammer » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:39 pm

Kajvena, haven't gotten around to this but Welcome to the discussion. Probably one of the biggest reasons I changed the textures of the old Warpath was that it was bland to me. First it was the textures, then it went to let's change the buildings. I progressed to map optimization.

I released a early version for folks to look at and the initial reaction from those folks was, "you broke it, this ain't nor ever will be a warpath map." So, with my tiny little hurt feelings, I decided I would change the map with new twists and turns and tada.......warhammer.

A lot of people who have been pushing me along, like myself, love the concept of warpath. Trouble is, we have grown tired of that bland old map.

Warhammer is not a replacement for Warpath. I see it more as a revision. A revision still in need of a few tweaks. Now you all must excuse me, I have some concrete to pour and a cave to dig out.
Image[/center]

Soup Nazi
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Soup Nazi » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:03 pm

Mad-Hammer wrote:Kajvena, haven't gotten around to this but Welcome to the discussion. Probably one of the biggest reasons I changed the textures of the old Warpath was that it was bland to me. First it was the textures, then it went to let's change the buildings. I progressed to map optimization.

I released a early version for folks to look at and the initial reaction from those folks was, "you broke it, this ain't nor ever will be a warpath map." So, with my tiny little hurt feelings, I decided I would change the map with new twists and turns and tada.......warhammer.

A lot of people who have been pushing me along, like myself, love the concept of warpath. Trouble is, we have grown tired of that bland old map.

Warhammer is not a replacement for Warpath. I see it more as a revision. A revision still in need of a few tweaks. Now you all must excuse me, I have some concrete to pour and a cave to dig out.
We await your rennovations. So that we can complain more.

Mad-Hammer
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Mad-Hammer » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:57 pm

Soup Nazi wrote:
Mad-Hammer wrote:Kajvena, haven't gotten around to this but Welcome to the discussion. Probably one of the biggest reasons I changed the textures of the old Warpath was that it was bland to me. First it was the textures, then it went to let's change the buildings. I progressed to map optimization.

We await your rennovations. So that we can complain more.
LOL, I thought that was pretty funny. At this point, I needed a good laugh, the map is hanging on the final compile.
Image[/center]

Mad-Hammer
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Mad-Hammer » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:02 pm

Image[/center]

M's
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by M's » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:20 pm

That looks promising.

Mad-Hammer
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Mad-Hammer » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:20 pm

I haven't sent a link to Stevo yet. As soon as he has it uploaded, I'll post the download link.
Image[/center]