Warcraft III maps

A forum dedicated to chat about maps and the Source SDK for any Mod including tips and tutorials.
Darklightr
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Loading…

Warcraft III maps

Post by Darklightr » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:14 pm

I know this is kinda old, but did anyone make any warcraft 3 maps? I'd like to see some screenies :D
Thanks, Blah! I owe you one!

Pine
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Warcraft III maps

Post by Pine » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:08 pm

Ehh.. I had some but they weren't that special.
I was really into playing mazes when I first played wc3, and I attempted to make a map when I was in 6th or 7th grade. It was pretty bad :P

BigBiker05
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by BigBiker05 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:20 am

I used to make star-craft and broodwar maps back in the day. None were really that good though I did have some ideas I couldn't perfect and other map makers turned into huge threads later. I started off making crappy maps and slowly teaching myself more and more triggers as a built these maps.

My first good map was called 'Gauntlet' to represent a medieval obstical course. It was fun but would sometimes get laggy with so many triggers. About a year later these 'bound' maps started to pop up exactly the same idea as my gauntlet map. The main different I saw, entities were reversed.

Later I had a idea to make a tower D map with bunkers and bats instead of sunken colonies. It was really fun but I couldn't get it to work as a multiplayer. Just a few months later I started seeing Fire bat D maps being made. Once again, they had entities reversed in comparison as me.

** edit ** Oh, and heads up to all the Btankz fans like myself, the german based Btankz team is already working on a SCII version. The star-craft version will be very similair in gameplay to the WAr3 version except will feature models and weapons that fit better into a sci-fi rather than fantasy.

Darklightr
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Loading…

Post by Darklightr » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:24 am

ooh cool, should be good :D

Pine
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Pine » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:35 am

I had this great wc3 map idea that I never went through with..
It was basically ice skating + tag but there are jumps on the edges of the skate paths. So basically you have one person who is "it" and he is trying to chase everyone else who is jumping everywhere doing spins jumps and turns in the air to juke him out. It was pretty cool.

Darklightr
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Loading…

Post by Darklightr » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:28 pm

Ever get to making it?

Pine
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Pine » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:08 am

Nah I was too lazy.

Darklightr
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Loading…

Post by Darklightr » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:23 pm

lol, of course... :P

pRyvvik
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by pRyvvik » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:44 pm

I made Warcraft III Risk...mostly. I basically took a regular risk board and counted up the countries in each continant. Then took the Warcraft world map and broke it up so it would match. So instead of Asia you had Kalimdor. Instead of 'East United States' you had 'The Deadmines'.

Then I coded/scripted various races (skeltons, night elves, high elves, humans, dwarf, orc, etc). I gave each unit 6hp and each dealt 1-6 damage. In addition, they regenerated 6/sec. Thus the outcome of a battle would be determined more so by whoever rolled more 6's....but since multiple units could hit a single unit, having far superior numbers could work in your favor.

It wasn't pure risk, but it was a cool take on it.

I gave each country a little waypoint and had most of the attacking/defending code down pat. You wouldnt' just move your troops, it was turn based. You'd click your countries waypoint and then the target...and assuming it was valid (bordering) you could then type the number of troubles to attack with, or move, etc.

My inspiration was the love for the game of Risk and the disappointment of seeing every 'Risk' map being just land shaped like the world. Lame. That and I had seen a warcraft 'chess' that was a turn based move.

I wish I still had it, but I lost it in a harddrive crash.

Darklightr
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Loading…

Post by Darklightr » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:48 pm

Oh damn, that would have been awesome to play xD

Thorn
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Thorn » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:31 pm

I actually used to map for wc3 back in the day. my most popular map was called "beam ball". Not sure if you guys have heard of it, it was an insta gib type game where either team was trying to get the ball into the other team's goal. My screen name for wc3 was "draqz". also, made a team battle tanks game for a contest, where you had teams of 2, one driving the tank, the other aiming the tank's gun. Also had another more strategy based one called religious warfare where you had to try to convert people in the town and claim property, kind of like a sim game. I still have 2-3 maps that I never finished that could have been pretty cool.

It is funny that someone was talking about an ice skaing tag, because I actually have a framework for an ice hockey game, where your units slides around the rink, and its harder to control the faster you are going.