[BETA 0] CP_Cayenne_Mountain

A forum dedicated to chat about maps and the Source SDK for any Mod including tips and tutorials.
Fraulein Arztin
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: [BETA 0] CP_Cayenne_Mountain

Post by Fraulein Arztin » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:11 am

!B a T m A n! wrote:looks intense :O
I'll say seconded :dance:

l3eeron
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by l3eeron » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:44 am

Ian_Suffix wrote: RED can recapture points to reduce the time necessary for victory.

This will be the main thing to watch. I have a feeling it might not work out like you intend....

dredfox
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by dredfox » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:22 pm

l3eeron wrote:
Ian_Suffix wrote: RED can recapture points to reduce the time necessary for victory.

This will be the main thing to watch. I have a feeling it might not work out like you intend....
This is an interesting anti-turtle dynamic. It might be workable only if blue/red cap swaps work out to net zero time change. Example:

Time left is 10:00; Blue caps a point and adds 5 minutes. Red recaps and subtracts 5 minutes. Blue caps again and adds 5 minutes.

As long as the clock can't be extended infinitely or whittled down to zero by cap manipulation it may be okay. It would still worry me that with time running out, blue may not be willing to make that final push in case red spy caps and ends the round early. I know I'd be disappointed if I was at 90% uber charge with 2:00 on the clock, and suddenly the round ends.

From this change, expect the following:
Blue to be more cautious and less aggressive
Blue engineers to become vital to an attack
Red spies to become incredibly powerful
Rage on the Blue side if Red ends the round early
Red may still turtle, but use a pair of spies and/or scouts to recap.

You may want to consider locking blue owned points when the timer is below a certain amount. When Blue caps a point and adds time, the Blue points unlock. This would encourage Red to not turtle for the majority of the time, but still allow Blue to focus on attacking when time is short.

I know you've probably thought of all this while planning the map, but detailed feedback never hurts in my opinion. :)

Ian_Suffix
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Ian_Suffix » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:48 pm

Locking the BLU points when the timer gets below two minutes DOES sound like a good idea, but wait just a moment. Presently, capturing the first point whittles down 15 seconds, the second point 30 seconds, and the third 45-- giving these seconds back to BLU via recapture made me feel that it wasn't enough motivation for RED to bother to venture out of their turtling operation. BLU is given enough time to make a decent push while having the third point recaptured around three to four times. They won't be in a bind in that regard, but I am worried about spies. I'm hoping that the time required to capture, frontlines based around the funicular, and talented Engineer(s) will help manage this.

But with the motivation to push outwards some, I designed the RED spawn not to allow much turtling, putting the point a distance away from where they can make their appearance. I agree that I'd like to have BLU able to focus entirely on attacking when time is getting short, but I'll be willing to make the call after seeing the results.

dredfox
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by dredfox » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:14 pm

Ian_Suffix wrote:...giving these seconds back to BLU via recapture made me feel that it wasn't enough motivation for RED to bother to venture out of their turtling operation.
You have an excellent point. The thought you have put into this is awe inspiring. This looks to be a great blend of Attack/Defend and standard control point modes. I look forward to playing it on a full server.

Ian_Suffix
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Ian_Suffix » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:55 pm

Many thanks to those who helped test this map tonight, and a round of applause to Flaming Cheese Wheel and Spam, who told it how it is: beta zero is a flop. Problem number one is the immense size of the map. Perhaps in some far off corner in my mind, I thought a long map would lend itself to some fun Warpath-esque shootouts, but in practice, this map spans a terribly wide area. Getting lost was a common occurrence.

So, for Beta 1:
- Less paths, less width
--- First vent will have a break point, dropping BLU members near, but not behind the A point
--- Deletion of vent path to pump room
--- The bathroom will be the only way to get to the C point from B (the RED spawn is too far away for that to matter, anyway)
--- In addition to fixing the RED C-route door, a sign outside the RED spawn will show which direction to take, and a red light will appear near the stairs down to the C-route door
------ on that note, fix the unnecessarily moving door in the RED spawn
- More signs, more warning about danger
--- RED spawn-guarding laser
--- Directional, etc
- Lighting/decoration upgrades
--- B point is too dark
--- Pump room is very bare outside of the water area

frostdillicus
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by frostdillicus » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:23 pm

In the control center...

Is 1 named Melchior, 2 named Balthasar, and 3 named Casper?

That's my guess.

Ian_Suffix
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Ian_Suffix » Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:07 pm

Bingo! I'm thinking about putting a big transparent map just in front of the window, and having transparent warning signs for when the final cap is being captured.

frostdillicus
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by frostdillicus » Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:17 pm

I think your definition of obscure and my definition of obscure don't match Ian. :)

Thanks for the points! :)

Ian_Suffix
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Ian_Suffix » Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:28 pm

I don't recall ever labeling the reference as an obscure one. But you're welcome!

frostdillicus
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by frostdillicus » Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:08 pm

Ian_Suffix wrote:...and the reference is rather tough...
Perhaps obscure was the wrong choice of words. :)

Darklightr
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Loading…

Post by Darklightr » Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:32 pm

Looks great Ian, hope to play soon!
Thanks, Blah! I owe you one!