Mapping Tutorial

A forum dedicated to chat about maps and the Source SDK for any Mod including tips and tutorials.
Guardian
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Guardian » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:37 pm

Alright so I was wondering, just how hard is it to use hammer?

I've used Warcraft 3's map editor before, how does it compare to something like that?

Mad-Hammer
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Mapping Tutorial

Post by Mad-Hammer » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:11 pm

I've never used Warcraft's map editing tools but, in the beginning, a little knowledge in using 3D software comes in handy.

If you can dream it, you just about can build it in Hammer. Read all the tutorials you can find. I spent the first two months just browsing tutorials at TF2.Net and Interlopers.Net.
Image[/center]

mr_s
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by mr_s » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:01 pm

[quote="Mad-Hammer";p="193498"]
I've never used Warcraft's map editing tools but, in the beginning, a little knowledge in using 3D software comes in handy.

If you can dream it, you just about can build it in Hammer. Read all the tutorials you can find. I spent the first two months just browsing tutorials at TF2.Net and Interlopers.Net.

[/quote]

wow... now THATS commitment

MrBlah
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by MrBlah » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:05 pm

[quote="Guardian";p="193495"]
Alright so I was wondering, just how hard is it to use hammer?

I've used Warcraft 3's map editor before, how does it compare to something like that?
[/quote]

They are nothing alike.

Hammer is more like a 3d modeling program. Like say, Maya or 3dsMax. You can't do animation, but the whole modeling thing is similar.

When I first started playing around with Hammer, I kinda just jumped right in. I had a little knowledge of 3d modeling before, so I knew what I was looking at. It wasn't like learning a new language for me. I haven't messed with it much lately, but I will probably be getting back into it here soon. Me and some other friends are gunna start working on a source mod based around the Spanish Inquisition.
Eater of Potatoes, since 2008.

I am driven by two main philosophies: know more today about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you.
― Neil deGrasse Tyson

arfy4
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by arfy4 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:14 pm

Some advice for map making, especially TF2. I have discovered that, even with simple nonworking maps, on computers that are slower and not completely made for gaming, it takes forever to save if you use the carve toll, try to avoid it.