ctf_ruins

A forum dedicated to chat about maps and the Source SDK for any Mod including tips and tutorials.
Masakari
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

ctf_ruins

Post by Masakari » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:29 pm

I determined in the past couple of days that the only way I'm going to get this map even close to done is if people know about it and start pestering me to finish it. :P Plus, at least now I have the name booked and hopefully Google will be nice to me if other mappers try to use this name. ;)

A few people already know about it, but for the past few months I've slowly been working on my first "real" map (Not counting skeet and MM obviously). The map's purpose? To be a relatively simple and small CTF map with an intelligence room that's difficult to sentry camp. As well, I wanted to use the egypt textures since it's something not used a lot, and it means I can cheap out and make things really simple. The result (And note - a few things have been tweaked since I made that.:

[spoil]Image[/spoil]

Note to new mappers: I highly recommend doing any kind of sketchup or drawing of a map before heading into Hammer. This map went through many changes after consulting with Nick, Archon, and a few other people. I did, however, at least have something before trying to make something out of nothing.

I haven't compiled the map since I've done most of the recent texturing (I did a fair bit last night), but I have an older shot that illustrates the look and feel of the textures. Thanks to some creative coloured lighting, I'm making more of a gray coloured brick, which I feel gives it more of a greek/roman feel than an egypt feel (And I'm debating using the heiroglyphs now to enforce that.

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn30 ... a20004.jpg

I'll try and post some more screenshots. Right now, I'm basically just working on texturing, and after that comes some initial ammo/medpack placement followed by a public alpha/beta. Since I have the week off of work next week, I'm hoping to make some strong progress and have a download up within a few weeks!
I am the 1%!

Bronze Fox
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Bronze Fox » Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:09 pm

Whoa, whoa, whoa! How did I miss this post? I've been bugging you about this map for months!

The real question is how do you not have Pop Fly, Round-Tripper, and Block the Plate? All of those are very easy Scout achievements :roll:

Anyway, when you do release the alpha/beta I will make sure to bug you about every little detail.

Masakari
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Masakari » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:45 pm

I have an alpha version of the map on TVX right now....hoping to do a playtest tomorrow night and see how the invasion system works in this map. When I start to play it, I'll be sure to spam invites out!

And since it's an alpha, it's not even close to looking pretty. Be warned!
I am the 1%!

chaffe[seagreens]
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: ctf_ruins

Post by chaffe[seagreens] » Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:34 pm

ville cup final map? I cant wait to try it... awesome work

bullet4o1
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: ctf_ruins

Post by bullet4o1 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:49 am

[quote="Masakari";p="197479"]and after that comes some initial ammo/medpack placement followed by a public alpha/beta. [/quote]

Lies.
Intel I7 860 | Intel Board | 8GB DDR3 PC1600 | MSI HD5770 Juniper XT | 32 GB SSD | 4.25 TB's and counting!!