How to pack stuff into the BSP

A forum dedicated to chat about maps and the Source SDK for any Mod including tips and tutorials.
wirtzenator
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

How to pack stuff into the BSP

Post by wirtzenator » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:42 pm

So, I was wanting to turn my map swamp-themed but while I know how to get custom stuff into my map, how can I get other people to see it? I've always had a problem with this and can never find a clear solution. I've heard of programs like BSPzip or pakrat, but they never make that much sense to me. So, how do I do it?

Also, like for particles and soundscapes, there are txt files that are needed, does that follow the same way as custom materials, textures, props would?

Masakari
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Masakari » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:52 pm

http://www.geocities.com/cofrdrbob/pakrat.html

That's the program I use. You'll need Java installed. Big thing is to keep the paths inside the BSP relative to the main TF folder.
I am the 1%!

Mad-Hammer
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: How to pack stuff into the BSP

Post by Mad-Hammer » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:28 pm

The only drawback with Pakrat, my experience anyways, is that Pakrat doesn't always find all the entities that need to go into your .bsp. You have to fix a path to your custom .vft and .vmt files. This includes your menu photos and maps text.
Image[/center]

wirtzenator
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by wirtzenator » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:46 pm

[quote="Masakari";p="187585"]
http://www.geocities.com/cofrdrbob/pakrat.html

That's the program I use. You'll need Java installed. Big thing is to keep the paths inside the BSP relative to the main TF folder.
[/quote]

awesome!!! it worked with a small test map i had. pretty simple to use, just hit the Auto thing then saved the BSP. So then i deleted the materials then loaded up the bsp and they still showed up.

Thanks very much.