Work in Progress: cp_saddle_point

A forum dedicated to chat about maps and the Source SDK for any Mod including tips and tutorials.
Zeldark
Villun
Villun
Loading…

Work in Progress: cp_saddle_point

Post by Zeldark » Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:30 pm

An update on my quaint little map. And by "mine," I mean "Me and Thorn's." This map was our first and we have been learning different triggers together. Now that we can quickly and comfortably create, shape, carve, hollow and more with brushes and a few triggers, he has generally split off to actually play the game and shoot you guys. Perfectly understandable, it's a fun game!
So we could write it as:
Zeldark + Thorn Image cp_saddle_point
But as we all know, assists make a difference!

The map consists of 2 team fortresses with a courtyard outside and a 3rd fortress between them, each with a single cap point. Teams will start with control of their base and courtyard. The neutral center base doors will let the teams stare each other down as the preparation timer expires, at which point both teams flood into the control room. All 3 bases are intended to be defensible, while the courtyards should be dangerous to dedicated campers.

There will be progressive spawns as your team advances, yet never having immediate access to an unlocked control point. Like Warpath, but generally with less distance between spawns and control points. I think that's good enough for now, I shouldn't give everything away like a bad commercial, but I'll show you some pics!

And this will be the last thing you see before your life becomes in danger!

Updated checklist:
-Finish team bases, alternate entrances
-Point capture triggers
-Progressive spawn
-Iron out some snags blocking movement
-Item placements
-Texture polishing
-Skybox refining
-Lighting
-Rain
-Area portals
Last edited by Zeldark on Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He's a decent shot. He's got some skill, but he's in too much of a hurry.
He's throwing away bullets like they were candy. He doesn't know how to take his time.
Aim careful, and look the devil in the eye.

[url=http://stats.theville.org/hlstats.php?mode=playerinfo&player=96018][img]http://stats.theville.org/sig.php?player_id=96018&background=random[/img][/url]

Masakari
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Masakari » Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:52 pm

[quote="Zeldark";p="184815"]
The map consists of 2 team fortresses[/quote]Image

But in all seriousness, it looks like an interesting map!
I am the 1%!

Thorn
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Thorn » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:03 pm

this is pretty much Zeldark's map. I have been learning how to do it with him, but zeldark has been doing all the work!

looks good man, once we get the lighting in there and fix the textures up, while adding some details, it will be truly glorious!

Zeldark
Villun
Villun
Loading…

Re: Work in Progress: cp_saddle_point

Post by Zeldark » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:06 pm

After working on the map on and off, it is certainly nearing the end.

Going through the list systematically eventually "overwhelmed" my OCD desires to do the map in phases. "Planning, solids, triggers, textures, lights" etc. It is now fully playable, despite a lot of subtle work to do here and there. I am interested in getting some beta testing soon, and even though this is my first map I believe I'm familiar enough with Hammer that I can fairly easily make significant changes due to bugs and feedback.

I'm not sure of the best way to get a respectable group of players involved to give a feel of how the map will work in action. I'd like to hear feedback before I make more much gameplay edits based on my suspicions of how others will like it.
He's throwing away bullets like they were candy. He doesn't know how to take his time.

[url=http://stats.theville.org/hlstats.php?mode=playerinfo&player=96018][img]http://stats.theville.org/sig.php?player_id=96018&background=random[/img][/url]

Rigges
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Rigges » Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:06 am

Looks good to me

---====

I'll help test it

--===---==-=
Yes I am the one who Shot the Smiley Face Target for the Lethal Weapon Movie
RIP Winnie White Sister In-law 1952 - April 22 2010 58
Norma L. White Mother 20 Dec 1930 to 27 Aug 2011 81

Lucille C. Brueshaber Mother In Law 11 July 1922 to 13 Dec 2011 89
Mrs Rigges is very sad

Thorn
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Thorn » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:32 pm

We are going to test this map tonight, very soon! if you want to test it contact me or zeldark on steam = )

Zeldark
Villun
Villun
Loading…

Post by Zeldark » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:33 pm

I confirm this.

Zeldark
Villun
Villun
Loading…

Post by Zeldark » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:06 am

Thanks for the TON of feedback guys. Many suspicions of flaws confirmed, a good deal of insight as well.

Thorn
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Thorn » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:37 am

Guardian ended the night with an epic scout wipe of our team lol

Thanks for coming out guys, and Thanks a ton Stevo for helping us setup a server!

Guardian
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Guardian » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:46 am

[quote="Thorn";p="202135"]Guardian ended the night with an epic scout wipe of our team lol

[/quote]

8)

It was a fun night.

I pointed out a few flaws (very scout and sniper friendly) but I've a question, who are you aiming this map at, comp player or pub players or just villuns who like shannaghans. I helps me pick my feedback. Based on the map it's probably better suited for a pub so far.

Rigges
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Rigges » Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:38 am

Sorry I missed it WOW

now I still can't see it Boo Hooo
Yes I am the one who Shot the Smiley Face Target for the Lethal Weapon Movie
RIP Winnie White Sister In-law 1952 - April 22 2010 58
Norma L. White Mother 20 Dec 1930 to 27 Aug 2011 81

Lucille C. Brueshaber Mother In Law 11 July 1922 to 13 Dec 2011 89
Mrs Rigges is very sad

Zeldark
Villun
Villun
Loading…

Post by Zeldark » Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:49 pm

tl;dr version: Just first 2 paragraphs.
The theme of the map was heavily inspired by Lazytown in the sense that you had defensible bases in the middle and ends of the map which were a challenge to take. Unlike Lazytown, the one way water exit out of the center base gives you immediate access to all 4 other cap points, making controlling it especially important. As a result it would be important to let both teams have enough time to get some engineers and ubers prepped and ready. Plus I personally think it's fun to stare each other down. All players from both teams can be at the gates ready to flood in when the timer is up. In contrast to the 3 bases, the 2 courtyards are predicted to be shifting ownership more frequently.

Given that maps of inspiration deal w/ 12-16 person teams, and I naturally would love to see that many people weaving through my map. Since 12 != 6, making the map to whatever standards a competitive league demands is a deviation from its nature. Saddle Point should be FUN for all classes throughout the map, with several things under consideration for many classes. Many areas of the map were designed with how the nature of classes would too great or weak.

Scouts:
Require a lot of places to weave, places to take advantage of the double/(triple) jump.
I predict better lighting will help the other classes dealing with scouts who are currently harder to see than to shoot.

Soldiers:
Major advantage in the middle between the ability to hop directly to the roof and firing down upon the floating platform. They should also have advantage defending garage invasions by using the high ground of the catwalks.

Pyros:
Given a lot of attention due to how a huge vein of water runs underground throughout the map. The one way trap door in the center the map makes for any player losing control to fail at either defending/attacking the center point, and air blasting is a fairly solid way to force a loss of control. Falling off cliffs are fatal, and air blasting again is a fairly solid way to get someone to "fall" off a cliff. Aside from the courtyard there are plenty of corners to have good old fashioned flame thrower ambushes.

Demoman:
I'm a horrible demoman, and I think they're overpowered. But I also love the soldier, and ~any soldier advantage is at least a demo advantage, imo. Given the demoman arsenol, a demo should excel in all areas of the map.

Heavy:
Should shine in the closed areas, but may be too far away for proper courtyard battle.

Engineers:
1) No turret should be able to cover all paths from one part of the map to another.
2) A turret with its engineer should be a challenge to take down.
3) A turret should need its engineer to survive any dedicated assault.
Turrets fail horribly in the couryard.

Medics:
Revolve around the skill of their partners?

Snipers:
A twitch sniper on this map would destroy the world. Courtyards need more cover, and sniper spots need better lighting.

Spies:
Walkways/waterways planned to be wide enough so bumping is not common. A smart sniper should be able to weave behind enemy lines without raising suspicions, unless of course you're paranoid because you've died the last 12 times from being backstabbed.

For all of the above, I think the courtyards and supply rooms need to be more complex, while the center base needs to be better lit, and perhaps simplifying the roof structures.

This whole thing was a lot more of a rant than I thought, but them's the breaks.

Guardian
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Guardian » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:17 am

Keep in mind, medics are happy when soldiers/demos/heavies are happy and aren't happy when scouts/snipers are too happy.

Right now just work on cover which should limit sniper power although scouts will still have fun though.