ctf_bunkerhill - by Duke

A forum dedicated to chat about maps and the Source SDK for any Mod including tips and tutorials.
(LSAP)Duke Nukem
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

ctf_bunkerhill - by Duke

Post by (LSAP)Duke Nukem » Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:44 am

Hi! i recently joined the forums here, and ive been looking for a group to play test my map once i get it finished.

its called Bunker Hill, because the center piece of the map is well, a bunker. and it forms a sort of hill (as youll see), on either side of the hill is a base for red and blue.

anyway, the bases themselves also look like bunkers, and way down below them is the intelligence. i also have a sniper deck, accessible roofs, and underground side passages that i hope will make the map interesting. im worried however that the hill itself is a bit too big, and the dirt ramps arent steep enough, making you easy prey to the snipers. but i guess you guys can tell me what i need to fix once you see it.

i really appreciate any feedback, this is my first map but if i had my ways, id have way over 5-10 maps done, they are just sitting here in this big pile of "things to do" on little pieces of paper and napkins i stole from restaurants :P

heres some screenies

http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad84 ... ll0004.jpg

http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad84 ... ll0005.jpg

http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad84 ... ll0002.jpg

http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad84 ... ll0003.jpg

(this is without RAD)

still in development of course, texturing comes later, im always getting carried away by the need to texture and color things :P
Last edited by (LSAP)Duke Nukem on Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rits
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Rits » Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:12 am

Hi, other Duke!

I'm pretty sure you can post screenies here if you'd like. We promise we won't hurt you for the huge images. I've seen others do it, plus the TF2 screenshots thread is full of large images, so once again, I don't think it'll hurt.

Another ctf map! We need more of these :D Can't wait to try it out!

(LSAP)Duke Nukem
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: ctf_bunkerhill - by Duke

Post by (LSAP)Duke Nukem » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:49 am

oh, im also wondering if anyone here is a self proclaimed 3d skybox maker master, and could guide me through making one? i looked at the SDK wiki, but its rather confusing sometimes, so id really appreciate a walkthrough if anyone knows how

Masakari
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Masakari » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:18 am

First of all, welcome to the forums!
[quote="(LSAP)Duke Nukem";p="182841"]
oh, im also wondering if anyone here is a self proclaimed 3d skybox maker master, and could guide me through making one? i looked at the SDK wiki, but its rather confusing sometimes, so id really appreciate a walkthrough if anyone knows how
[/quote]I'm by no means a master, but after having just made one for my skeet map, I can at least show you the basics. Because the outside of your map is rectangular, that makes it easier too.
I am the 1%!

Gizanked
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Gizanked » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:19 am

I know Beeron has made one or two...
http://www.tf2items.com/id/evagizanked
the artist formerly known as Replica

Spectral Fire
Villun
Villun
Minecraft name: SpectralFire
Blizzard tag: Spectralfire#1425

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Spectral Fire » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:29 am

Glad to see you getting this posted so quickly Duke!
Looks like a map that could be very interesting and fun to play from the few screenshots I looked at. Can't wait till it's finished.
Friends made are never forgotten. Even if we grow apart or move on from this life, the fun times we spent together was all worth it.

(LSAP)Duke Nukem
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by (LSAP)Duke Nukem » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:08 pm

oh and one more question...who/how would i upload this/give it to someone who can put this on one of the tf2 servers?

Masakari
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Masakari » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:10 pm

[quote="(LSAP)Duke Nukem";p="182878"]
oh and one more question...who/how would i upload this/give it to someone who can put this on one of the tf2 servers?
[/quote]Maps on the Ville servers usually wait until they're fully polished up. I do have a private server that I use for map testing and what-not, so if you wanted to get a bunch of people together at one time and do a map test on it, I'd be happy to put it up for you on there.
I am the 1%!

shimmybot
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by shimmybot » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:19 pm

[quote="Masakari";p="182847"]
First of all, welcome to the forums!
[quote="(LSAP)Duke Nukem";p="182841"]
[/quote]I'm by no means a master, but after having just made one for my skeet map, I can at least show you the basics. Because the outside of your map is rectangular, that makes it easier too.
[/quote]

i'm not a master either, but i could definately give you a hand

!B a T m A n!
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by !B a T m A n! » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:01 pm

hrm... why do you get to see teh stock of the force of nature... i dont :c
anywho

your map looks like it could be fun and welcome to the forums!

shimmybot
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by shimmybot » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:02 pm

viewmodel

!B a T m A n!
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by !B a T m A n! » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:05 pm

ic...

(LSAP)Duke Nukem
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by (LSAP)Duke Nukem » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:20 pm

just FYI, im leaving to new york on thursday of next week, and wont be back till sunday. i have gotten a lot done with my map so far, lights and minor signs to be put in and then texturing...and those woefully hard displacements... but im making progress :D

(LSAP)Duke Nukem
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by (LSAP)Duke Nukem » Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:21 pm

i think i have a stark realization to announce. after my friend showed me how to do displacements, and actually working with them for a few hours, i realized the geometry of my map is not going to line up the way i want it to, simply because i designed certain critical elements of it without displacements in mind (didnt know what they were at first)

so i feel a need to start over, and use all the things ive learned so far to make a better map, or a better bunker hill, whichever. however, in my maps current undisplaced state, i would still like to get it play tested, because i dont think play issues really need displacements, you all know what i mean im sure.

bunker hill was my first map for tf2, so i think ill be able to make much better ones in the future as i learn new fancy techniques and tools along the way

Ian_Suffix
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Ian_Suffix » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:40 pm

Don't feel too bad. My first map, Platform 1, has only two displacements: a giant rock and an invisible black barrier that marks where water meets the skybox.