[WIP] skeet_ruins (rc1_1)

A forum dedicated to chat about maps and the Source SDK for any Mod including tips and tutorials.
KRG
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Re: [WIP] skeet_ruins (b3)

Post by KRG » Thu May 14, 2009 2:57 pm

Played this, was fun! Great work!

I no_clipped to get on the far back sides and had a grand old time! :lol:

I found that if people can spread out all over the map more, it's more enjoyable. Everyone standing in one place draws an insane amount of fire on a small location. The ability to walk all around the entire map spreads out the incoming fire and makes it more enjoyable, for me anyway. You still get killed, just not as excessively as when you stand should to shoulder with everyone else.
I have a butt and you do too. Let's be friends.

Masakari
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Masakari » Thu May 14, 2009 3:59 pm

[quote="shimmybot";p="172420"]
only qualm is the lack of a working spawn room, otherwise nice map!
[/quote]Decent point. I got lazy since respawn lockers don't work in skeet so I didn't do much, but I can add it so that you can change class in the spawn area without dying. Is that what you want?

[quote="Kjeldorian Royal Guard 42";p="172425"]
Played this, was fun! Great work! [/quote]Thanks. As a beyond-amateur mapper, nice words like these make me happy. :)
I no_clipped to get on the far back sides and had a grand old time! :lol:
Heh. On B2, you basically just get a higher vantage point. B3/RC1/whatever naming scheme I decide for the nesxt version has rolling hills, palm trees, etc that should make shenanigans like that more worthwhile. :P
I found that if people can spread out all over the map more, it's more enjoyable. Everyone standing in one place draws an insane amount of fire on a small location. The ability to walk all around the entire map spreads out the incoming fire and makes it more enjoyable, for me anyway. You still get killed, just not as excessively as when you stand should to shoulder with everyone else.
That's an awfully good point, but it's something that seems difficult to combat. If you have suggestions as to what would make you separate from the group (Or even the logic to hang around by others), I can see if I can combat that.

Oh, and so people know what's coming up in this version, he's the Cashbox "To-Do" list (Bear in mind not all of these may make it in to the next version directly:

-Change torches to actually use fire a la egypt. There will be less of them too...
-Change current props/cover to a more egypt-y thing. Sadly, this will mostly mean piles of brick.
-3D skybox
-Cashbox!
-Possibly redesign the shooting range.
-Displacements!
-l3eeron's making a nice poster that say "Welcome to Skeet at TheVille.org" which will advertise us nicely :)
-
I am the 1%!

nacho207
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by nacho207 » Thu May 14, 2009 4:19 pm

Definitely better than my skeet map :lol:

I'm thinking of making my skeet map into a valley of some sort.

BTW, what kind of lights did you use?
[img]http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee48/nacho207/nacho_pyrowitch.jpg[/img]
That is NACHO cheese!
[url=http://bfbc2.elxx.net/stats/pc/Nacho207][img]http://bfbc2.elxx.net/sig/clean1/pc/Nacho207.png[/img][/url]

KRG
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by KRG » Thu May 14, 2009 4:24 pm

Largely, people seem to exit spawn, take 5 paces, get behind the nearest rock/bldg etc and start shooting. This results in everyone being bunched up drawing all the bot fire into a confined area.

You have a basic stadium type layout already with bots shooting from the middle. Maybe create different spawn points around the map to help separate the snipers? Or perhaps optional teleports to other areas of the map?
I have a butt and you do too. Let's be friends.

l3eeron
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by l3eeron » Thu May 14, 2009 5:02 pm

b3 seems to be shaping up nicely. Lookin forward to mo' bettah ones too!

[quote="Masakari";p="172452"]egypt-y[/quote]

...I think the word you were looking for is "Egyptian". :lol:

[quote="Masakari";p="172452"]
-l3eeron's making a nice poster that say "Welcome to Skeet at TheVille.org" which will advertise us nicely :)
-
[/quote]

Yes indeed, sir. I'm almost done with it, it's top notch :cool:

The skeet might go bananas during the sniper deluge, I wonder what would happen if we seeded it during the sniper rush, how long would it stay full on skeet alone? ...or not.

If it were up to me, I would somehow make the kills not count towards acheivments. I know this isn't a good solution, but if you have sv_cheats 1, then acheivments will disable, or is there a variable to just turn off achievements for a specific map? I just played skeet and kept beating my record of kills, so I guess achievements are on.

In regards to the mapping. I'm not aware of all the entities to get it where it is now, I don't see why there can't be a regen locker. Does it have something to do with the bots?

Anyways, you can always just put a bunch of full health and ammo everywhere.

If I were going to do a map for this, I would make a spawn room with no doors, only a teleport that picks a random destination for each player. Then I would place each destinations in a safe spot for the player to appear in. So you could make 3 or four seperate decks like you have, and spread out a couple dozen destinations around them.

In terms of layout, I would like to see some kind of down-range obstruction. Nothing drastic, IMO, shooting the bots out of the empty sky is almost too easy. I will say though, that when they start shooting alot, it gets tougher. But, I was thinking something simple like an arch or a bridge going across, or some kind of prop maybe?

But ya, you guys are right, this particluar plug in has all the right stuff to justify using teleports and odd, nonsensical cliffs and decks where ever you want.

Oh Oh!

What if you made a huge "thunder dome" and made 24 little "spawndecks" spread throughout the interior of the dome. The player can not exit the spawndeck but each one has a little something to hide behind with health and ammo. Every XX seconds the map scrambles everybody's position randomly into a new little spawndeck....

*sigh* I wish had time to experiment with all these ideas :)

shimmybot
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by shimmybot » Fri May 15, 2009 7:18 pm

[quote="Masakari";p="172452"]
[quote="shimmybot";p="172420"]
only qualm is the lack of a working spawn room, otherwise nice map!
[/quote]Decent point. I got lazy since respawn lockers don't work in skeet so I didn't do much, but I can add it so that you can change class in the spawn area without dying. Is that what you want?

[/quote]

aye aye el capitano

Dog
Server Ops
Server Ops

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Dog » Fri May 15, 2009 7:37 pm

[quote="l3eeron";p="172466"]I don't see why there can't be a regen locker. Does it have something to do with the bots?
[/quote]

You can't have the lockers because if someone spawns as a soldier, and gets the sniper rifle, they just have to go to a regen locker and get their old weapon back.
The alternative method, and I might do this instead, is to just run the class limit plugin.
This means you can keep the regen lockers on.
Now I remember why....players can select Random class and get normal weapons....

One of the mistakes I made with cube soccer was to allow all sorts of classes to play it and it became crazy silly and put a lot of people off the game when it really should only have been limited to scouts, sollies, demos and medics....and maybe one heavy...

I won't make that same mistake again.
Limiting Skeet to snipers makes sense since the other weapons don't really work that well...maybe the scattergun....
Last edited by Dog on Fri May 15, 2009 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dog
Server Ops
Server Ops

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Dog » Fri May 15, 2009 7:39 pm

Besides, the last few days I've been super busy with a DoDS plugin.....
It's working out well!

:D

Masakari
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Masakari » Fri May 15, 2009 7:49 pm

What he said.

Limiting to snipers makes sense for the simple reason of it screws up stats for other classes as well. Also, logic behind *not* putting in a resupply locker would be that you get ammo and health already from shooting the skeets. Add in instant ability to heal up, and the bots shooting back becomes pointless.

I'm in the process now of redesigning the space where they shoot from in order to make people have to use variety (random teleports will probably be the way). I'm thankful they delayed the sniper update now, as this will give me a few more extra days to work on it. That, and the fact that I'm at my parent's house this weekend :P

Edit: Curse your edits Dog! Well, wasn't there a plugin that disabled random classes at one point in time? Couldn't that just be tied into it?
I am the 1%!

Dog
Server Ops
Server Ops

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Dog » Fri May 15, 2009 7:59 pm

Doesn't matter.
I'll still give them a Sniper rifle, regardless of what class they are AND I'll limit it to snipers, so if they go random, then it won't have any effect!
:D

l3eeron
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by l3eeron » Tue May 19, 2009 12:29 am

How's this my friend?

I think it works well with any style theme, so we can use it on any skeet map.

Download:

http://www.stevotvr.com/~web3_beeron/signs/signs.zip

Install:

Unzip and place the signs folder and the two files inside it here:

C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\YOURACCOUNT\team fortress 2\tf\materials

so the full destination of the two files are

C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\YOURACCOUNT\team fortress 2\tf\materials\signs\sign_skeet.vtf

and

C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\YOURACCOUNT\team fortress 2\tf\materials\signs\sign_skeet.vmt

Masakari
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Masakari » Tue May 19, 2009 8:42 am

Looks fantastic! Should fit in nicely to my spawn room.

I'm still on tap for a new release candidate tomorrow come hell or high water. As soon as I get my wonderful teleport system working, I just have to do some basic touchups and we're well on our way!
I am the 1%!

Masakari
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Masakari » Wed May 20, 2009 7:34 pm

After many long nights and seemingly stupid problems, RC1 of my map is now released!

http://www.stevotvr.com/~web3_mascara/s ... ns_rc1.bsp

What's new in this version you ask? Well, let's see here:

-Thanks to Archon, the map is not longer a tribute to squares! We now have rolling hills and more realistic looking geometry.
-Inside courtyard was retextured, and some additional props were added to the mix. Mainly, the cashbox was added!
-Player's range has been redone - there are now seven identical chambers that players shoot from. They are chosen through a random teleport in the spawn room.

Be sure to download it and check it out! I'll throw pictures up later.
I am the 1%!

shimmybot
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by shimmybot » Wed May 20, 2009 8:54 pm

working spawn rooms? :)

l3eeron
Retired Admin
Retired Admin