CTF Camping Trip [Final]

A forum dedicated to chat about maps and the Source SDK for any Mod including tips and tutorials.
Ian_Suffix
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

CTF Camping Trip [Final]

Post by Ian_Suffix » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:52 pm

Who's up for a trip to the woods?!

CTF Camping Trip is a map based on my newer rule "don't make stuff too complicated." Inspired by the simple but fun gameplay of Turbine, I set out to design a small CTF map that was simple enough to actually get a capture, and complicated enough to ensure it.

(Download)
Last edited by Ian_Suffix on Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:24 pm, edited 22 times in total.

KRG
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Re: CTF Camping Trip [BETA]

Post by KRG » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:29 pm

No idea what the 0004 thing is aboot. And for a miserly 5 forum points, I'll let it go. :lol:

Transparencies at both cap points but I assume that is so one can see through to the watery areas? Not an issue, kinda cool.

When under water in the middle of the map and in the tunnel areas, you see a purple grid when looking up at the water. I did not see this when swimming wif the alligator and Nessy. Funny BTW :lol:

The lack of flower beddage in Red's base window is completely unacceptable and quite frankly, nearly ruins the entire map.

- Sniper action abound in the towers and on top of bases
- Engy's wet dream all over
- Scouts can traverse the entire map in seconds
- Lots of enclosed spaces for Pyros
- Spy's wet dream all over
- HW, Soldier, Demo, and Medic of course fit right in.

I like this little touch;
That little jump up is a cool touch.

All in all, a very well done little map Ian! Very much in the 2Fort vein. Lots of in your face, fast paced action. I like it! Well done!
I have a butt and you do too. Let's be friends.

Ian_Suffix
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Ian_Suffix » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:00 pm

Hahaha, that's Picture 4, whose extension is 0004.

Thanks for testing it! In response to a few of your remarks:

- Engie heaven: Indeed, there are innumerable little nooks and crannies for Engineers to worm into. However, most spaces that they could build in either have doorways to use as cover or have a long-distance alternative to blowing up sentries up close.
- Spies: Yeah. Watch out. At least there's not that much ammunition around, however...
- Snipers: Notice the bridge between the two fire towers. That alone should make make Spies wet themselves.
- The little jump up: That's image 4, and only vertically enabled classes can get up there. Which is fine, because that's not where your team would want to go, anyway.
- Alligator/Nessie: Shh! These are the secret projects, RED's phytosaur and BLU's plesiosaur! Although there are plenty of people out there that may realize that "Dorrie's" cave looks strikingly familiar.
- Water (IMPORTANT): Odd, that doesn't happen to me on both HDR and LDR. Do you own HL2? It uses the ocean water from HL2.

Also, thanks for the mention in your signature! I hope I get more comments/suggestions before removing the _b.
Last edited by Ian_Suffix on Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

!B a T m A n!
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by !B a T m A n! » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:18 pm

why does a camp ground have like.. giant computers and such :lol: looks good

Ian_Suffix
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Ian_Suffix » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:56 pm

See, that's the big thing about picture 4.

Captain Jim
Villun
Villun
Loading…

Post by Captain Jim » Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:17 pm

This looks GREAT. Must try it out.

mr_s
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by mr_s » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:50 pm

2fort with a remake.

i like

Ian_Suffix
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Ian_Suffix » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:04 pm

Indeed, I did take heavy ques from 2fort (basement intelligence, sewer almost-entry, bridge over water). However, this is a bit wider and a lot shorter than 2fort, and no one route continues for ages (like 2fort's obnoxious sewer system or spiral staircase).

l3eeron
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by l3eeron » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:31 pm

I like it because it follows the rule small CTF = Fun CTF.

Mappers tend to forget that you have to run the distance twice!

mr_s
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by mr_s » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:08 pm

[quote="l3eeron";p="155909"]
I like it because it follows the rule small CTF = Fun CTF.

Mappers tend to forget that you have to run the distance twice!
[/quote]

couldnt agree with you more

shimmybot
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by shimmybot » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:47 am

Shot in the dark here

0004 is a secret passage? :lol:

Ian_Suffix
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Ian_Suffix » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:24 pm

Close enough! The idea was that this very normal looking main cabin's staircase shifts at the start downward on these tracks to reveal a secret basement!! Can I make the explanation sentence any more complicated?!

shimmybot
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by shimmybot » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:27 pm

:lol:

8)

Flobee
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Flobee » Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:13 am

I gave this a run through earlier. It's a very nice looking map. Very aesthetically pleasing. It also looks like a blast to play.

There were only a very small number of "problems" I found:

- Perhaps I just fail at swimming, but I seem to have a bit of a hard time getting up onto the steps from the water in the middle of the map. I know nothing of mapping, but if you could do something to make it a bit easier to get out of the water there, I'd be really happy. It seems to only let you up onto the steps if you swim into it at just the right angle. Otherwise, you just slide back down into the water until you manage to get at it the right way.

- The room with the overturned tables, just inside each base. BLU's has a small health pack + medium ammo pack and RED's has nothing.

- Also, this is very minor, but maybe you could widen the nook the intel is kept in slightly? A number of times I've come to a complete stop on my way because I bump into the corner of the glass. Again, only a minor problem, but it could prove to be frustrating if, in a real match, you're making a mad dash in for the intel, only you're EVER so slightly off center and bam, you get caught on the glass, and you come to a complete stop.

And now, a couple of minor suggestions. Implement, or ignore them as you see fit:

- Make the vents tall enough so that you don't have to crouch-walk your way through them.

Or don't. Perhaps you intended it like that, so it takes longer to get through if you happen to take the intel that way. I can just see it being kind of annoying. But that's just me.

- I'd like it if the open gate at the spawn was removed or changed in someway. It's not causing any problems, I just personally think the area, as a whole, is really cramped. It bugs me slightly.

where doing this man.
where MAKING THIS HAPEN.

itchy
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by itchy » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:12 am

That room with all the computers worries me. If there's going to be any fighting in there, it's going to be messy. There was a somewhat similar room in Quarry, and it had the same problem: you don't want too much stuff to get stuck on. If you can't effectively run backwards in an area, or jump around, it's not really a good battleground.

So the problem then becomes keeping it aesthetically pleasing, while still playing well. Removing one or two rows of those computers would probably make it play much better, but it wouldn't really look like a computer room anymore. Maybe turn them 90 degrees, put them by the walls, and then add something else non-obstructive in the middle (at least... not so obstructive).
[img]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3566/3304587268_69e66ce816_o.png[/img]
[size=67][url=http://www.theville.org/viewtopic.php?t=11702]I've been found out![/url][/size]