CTF Camping Trip [Final]

A forum dedicated to chat about maps and the Source SDK for any Mod including tips and tutorials.
Guardian
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Guardian » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:19 pm

One tiny thing.

It's easy to ignore the staircase leading up to the window which cuts down travel time slightly.

In addition to eraD's (or should I say s'eraD) suggestion about making it so you can jump out without taking falling damage, you should also add a sign labelled "battlements" (it's used everywhere to point out alternative routes and quicker routes to the battlefield) pointing to the staircase from spawn so that people new to the map try it out. It would make a "lesser" shortcut for the non-jumping classes.
Last edited by Guardian on Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Soltan
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: CTF Camping Trip [BETA4.5]

Post by Soltan » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:22 pm

I can confirm that Jesus_Faction was indeed stuck there as I was healing him at the time. I was later able to get out on my own by crouch jumping but don't know if that was the intent.

Gizanked
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Gizanked » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:36 pm

only things i noticed in the few seconds i looked around last night... and both were in the metal vents.

1. when the water first starts there is a metal grate on the ground. for me it was invisible from one angle and once i passed it as i exited i could see it. not sure if there is just a weird overlay with the water or what,.
vs.

2. also in the vents as you almost exit the sides are reflecting images that are outside of the vents. not sure how to fix that though.

oh and here is a picture representing that clipping problem on the medpack on the bed of the truck

http://www.tf2items.com/id/evagizanked
the artist formerly known as Replica

Jesus_Faction
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Jesus_Faction » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:46 pm

[quote="Ian_Suffix";p="166765"][quote="Infusions";p="166739"]Image
Really minor, but I think the ground in this water area needs to be flattened out. It's bumpy and a bit odd to run on. It's also hard to get out because of this part:
I think just elevating that ground in the water a bit would fix it.
[/quote]That must be what Jesus_Faction was talking about.
[/quote]

Yeah thats the spot. I'm not sure if its just one of them or both and I cant remember what team I was on when I experienced that...so check both

Ian_Suffix
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Ian_Suffix » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:26 pm

It's here! It's BETA 5!. It's an airplane! It's not an airplane.

And I don't like it! Turns out there's a timer glitch. Fixed it, will upload B5v2 soon.

Ian_Suffix
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Ian_Suffix » Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:47 am

All right! This time, it's for real. Since the original B5, the timer will stop after 25 minutes, for better or for worse. In addition, some missing displacements have been added and others have been slightly modified. Also, I dropped the HDTV I was supposed to steal for Infy in the Phytosaur cave. Sadly, it doesn't float.

http://iansuffix.kontek.net/tf2/ctf/ctf ... p_b5v2.zip

Note to self: fix fence problem at spawn, unbuildable thing on tree, move barrels in the side areas into a more linear layout so that people backing up don't get trapped, increase fireplace entrance height so that teleporters in there do not trap people...

itchy
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Re: CTF Camping Trip [BETA5]

Post by itchy » Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:50 pm

Got some more things to think about. Take them or leave them, since you've seen some how it plays.

1. The vents seem like the only route that anyone takes. Maybe that's just because people haven't learned to cover the vents well enough, but the front door is seeing very little use. You might want to make the vent exit closer to the front door, so it's more of a choice, or give some sort of an incentive to take the door instead. Making the route over the wall the more prominent/easier route might also help this. If less people are heading the back way, then there's less fighting you have to go through to get in the front door.

2. I'll restate my thought that I think the pipes should be reopened (one-way). But when you do that, I think the power-line should be removed. The reason? It provides yet another flanking route (whereas the pipe would not). If you're currently fighting in the side-yard area, you can get attacked from no less than 5 directions as it stands.

That's all I can think of, and even those I'm not 100% sure you should implement exactly as I'm saying. It's getting harder for me to gauge what needs to be altered since, like I said, we're more in the "fine tuning" stage now, rather than the "drastic changes" stage. There's still a little area of the street that you have to "climb" (on the window side) and there's a new displacement crater near the vent (in the water) that could use some filling, but overall I've liked the changes you've made. The intel room is better now, though the intel stand is a little unattractive. Maybe change that into just some short stairs? Or a desk ala 2fort? Those are all minor complaints though. It's shaping up really well, I think.
[img]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3566/3304587268_69e66ce816_o.png[/img]
[size=67][url=http://www.theville.org/viewtopic.php?t=11702]I've been found out![/url][/size]

Ian_Suffix
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Ian_Suffix » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:13 pm

Hmm! Indeed! After a bit of thinking, I decided that perhaps underneath the patio would be a good place to put the opening for the vent. Not only would that force everyone to go a more similar direction, it would still allow for some sneakiness, which is what the vents were supposed to be about in the first place.

I always thought of the drainage pipes as a weak point in the map, but I can open them up to see how that would work. I'm keeping the crates next to the fences, though.

As for the intel stand, it's supposed to be something where people would stand and take notes on the creatures they were observing. If you have any suggestions to carry that out, please go ahead.

Jesus_Faction
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Jesus_Faction » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:33 pm

Yeah the vents are a much faster route and its farther away from where the enemy spawns.

Going the front door is just too long AND more dangerous to boot

Guardian
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Guardian » Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:09 pm

I personally think it would nicer to have a sort of "sidedoor" to the intel.

You could make it one way if it made it too easy to cap thou.

SkyFrostSalvo
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by SkyFrostSalvo » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:33 pm

Much props to Ian for putting a huge amount of effort into getting this map ready in time for Total Warz. IMO it played like a charm! It felt like a push-map in that nearly all caps were a direct result of controlling the center, then ubering into and dominating the opponents' side yard for a minute or two. I vote that it be placed on TV2 indefinitely, if not there already.
[img]http://boff.clanservers.com/stuff/moobs_shodan.gif[/img] [img]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2530/3988492403_74def96fa2_m.jpg[/img]
[i][size=150]N'est absente que toi![/size][/i]

Ian_Suffix
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

CTF Camping Trip, Beta 6 "Exp"

Post by Ian_Suffix » Sat May 16, 2009 10:08 pm

After finals week and job hunting, I got back to working on this. However, I have no idea how the new vents are going to play out. More tweaking might be in store.

Aside from the significant change to the vents, you'll find some simplified barrels... Some lighting changes... And it's been too long for me to remember the other changes.

(Download)

Guardian
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Guardian » Mon May 18, 2009 12:12 am

Ouch my eyes.

I'm getting texture errors wherever there's a shiny surface and the surface.

The vent change is pretty cool but it would be nice to have a quick way out when your trying to escape.

A simple way of doing this would be to give some sort of platform on the staircase so that every class could jump up to the 2nd floor and jump out the window.

Ian_Suffix
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Ian_Suffix » Mon May 18, 2009 3:27 pm

Sounds like the LDR cubemaps somehow didn't make in in there. HDR worked fine, last I checked.

With the subtraction of a certain railing, I think that going out into the front yard and rapidly turning around the building shouldn't be that difficult. I honestly can't make it a breeze for enemies to get to the second floor of the cabin. That would make the supposedly-safe second floor a mess.

A thought just struck me: what about a one-way vent that allows escaping people to go back to the original watery vent? It might be a good solution if it's just too hard to escape outside, but that might make the vents the entirely predictable escape route of intelligence-carrying people.

*Ian_Suffix munches on one of his triangular rice-and-sriracha creations contemplatively
Well, that's why it's B6"exp."

Guardian
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Guardian » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:57 am

Ian I have bit of a small request for the visuals. Instead of daylight can you make the sky dark and rainy like on arena_sawmill :).

Someone added it to 2fort http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/s ... p?t=883002 and well I hate 2fort so it would be cool to see it on this map.