DWP

Chat about older games that we no longer host servers for at TheVille.
Krayonz
New Villun
New Villun

DWP

Post by Krayonz » Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:13 pm

I haven't played in over a month due to hand surgery, and I come back to find crazy weapon prices. There are a million other things valve could have been doing, instead they chose to mess with something that was perfectly fine. The major problem with DWP is that it makes the best weapons unaffordable, unless you have a large bankroll. And who has the large bankrolls? The people on the winning team! Therefore, the winning team will be able to afford all of the best weapons, while the losing team will be stuck with the cheap guns that nobody buys in the first place because they suck. This also increased the advantages of teamstacking because nobody wants to use guns that are inferior (and much less efficient), while getting destroyed by the guns they want to be using. Switching teams is an easy solution, although in the long run it will decrease the competetion of the game, and the enjoyment derived. It seems like valve was trying to get people to use all of the weapons, but there are reasons the m4a1 and AK are the most popular(they are the most efficient in killing), and restricting those weapons to those with money gives a distinct advantage to the winning team. They could have increased the productivity of the less popular weapons but instead they changed the whole dynamics of the game(pistol round, incentives not to diffuse the bomb if outnumbered, etc...). It would seem as though the cons far outweigh the pros of DWP, yet some servers(including this one), continue to use it, which leads me to believe that the advantages have gone right over my head. Could somebody please explain the benefits of the DWP, and why anyone would keep using it? Thanks!

Blown65
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Blown65 » Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:56 pm

Some of the guns seem ok, but then some of the weapons are just stupidly priced IMO.

I agree, at least with this mod especially it really causes problems with unbalanced teams. Usually it only takes a few high level players to totally bankrupt the other team and win over and over. Usually, it seems that the one that wins the rounds early ends up winning over and over and over cause the other team just cant gain any ground. The betting has helped a little, but that only helps if you have money to bet. lol

Teamstacking hasnt been too bad, at least when Ive been on. I usually go terrorist and get asked why I joined the team with the more exp players, well sorry, its just what team I usually join. :)

Krayonz
New Villun
New Villun

Re: DWP

Post by Krayonz » Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:18 pm

Teamstacking has never really been a problem here, which is probably why I keep coming back after like six years. Although the RPG mod does seem to encourage teamstacking, the games here always seem to be enjoyable. Also certain maps encourage teamstacking because there is more potential experience for terrorists on de maps. The same goes for CT's on cs maps where the is no exp equivalent for rescuing hostages available to the terrorists. I am bringing this up because it is possible to turn off the DWP, which I believe will increase server traffic, due to the unpopularity of DWP(which seems fairly obvious from other forums). It is quite hard to kill some of the higher level players with the cheaper guns that are sometimes a players only option. I also believe that this change would seem to fit the community here, because it would even out the playing field, giving new players and high level players the opportunity(slight as it may be) to kill one another! :D

Blown65
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Blown65 » Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:04 pm

yup, I agree. Id pm silver kray

SilverOne
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by SilverOne » Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:09 pm

I can turn it off with no problem. Just want to make sure its what we want. :)

Hmm maybe a vote? What do you guys think.
STOP FLAPPIN' THE YAP AND WATCH THE LANGUAGE ~Blue Ruler
Silver is Cheezylicious ~MErf
I bleed ville purple.

Hamese
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Hamese » Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:11 pm

Funny thing for me is I never have really looked at pricing. If it is available then I buy it. If I dont have enought money to get everything I want with the quick buys... I just go another round with my pistol. I just maxed out on Denial I think and so my major weapons are coming back with me from the dead. If turning it off is better, then I dont really care. It's easier thats for sure.

I know what you all mean by team stacking too. There was one guy that kept switching to the winning team. He changed like four times in a round, but he kept loosing that way though.

Krayonz
New Villun
New Villun

Post by Krayonz » Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:16 pm

I like voting =) It really doesn't make any sense to incorporate economics into a shooting game. Not to mention the economics of the algorithm are horrible because it only takes into account the demand for guns. It ignores that suppliers will increase supply if prices get high due to the extra incentives(which should probably have been incorporated into the game by means of a price ceiling), which would not allow the Desert Eagle to reach 10k+. Also, thanks for your effort in getting a CS server up Silver. I got hooked on CS after TFC and was stoked to finally see a CS server here at the ville(the RPG mod is awesome too!)

Blown65
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Blown65 » Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:47 pm

I'm on all the time, if I notice ppl bishing about the change Ill report back. I can see it both ways, but it does pose quite a disadvantage to the losing team with this mod IMO.

BENDER
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by BENDER » Sat Dec 02, 2006 3:17 pm

Well it makes perfect sense to me, if the losing team can only use crapy guns and the wining team the good ones, it would be near imposible for the losing team to recover. so i vote turn it off