Forum rules
Join the Left4DoD Steam Group: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/left4dod
Aardvark Ratnick
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Play Style, Griefing or Just plain Stupidity

Post by Aardvark Ratnick » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:07 pm

Lately while playing certain individuals have joined the game to ostensibly play. However their "style of play" really doesn't fit what I would think of normal. An example would be sitting in the spawn with an MG deployed, facing away from any and all chances to shoot zombies and wildly shooting at Zombies that only he can see. Another examples is a player repeatedly emptying his secondary into a wall. Again no where near zombies. He is not actively interfering with my game play by say shooting me but he is making game harder and less enjoyable. So in these examples is the guy griefing? Is it just plain stupidity? Or does he consider himself to be actually playing? At what point do I no longer restrain myself from calling him a dumb-ass and making a total scene by yelling and swearing at him? This kind of behavior and player is quickly becoming my least favorite right behind 7 years old playing the game while spamming the mike . What are my options? Besides simply disconnecting and coming back at some future point hoping he has gone.

The Domer
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Play Style, Griefing or Just plain Stupidity

Post by The Domer » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:11 pm

Aardvark Ratnick wrote:At what point do I no longer restrain myself from calling him a dumb-ass and making a total scene by yelling and swearing at him?
There is no point at which this is the next step.

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:31 pm

The Domer wrote:
Aardvark Ratnick wrote:At what point do I no longer restrain myself from calling him a dumb-ass and making a total scene by yelling and swearing at him?
There is no point at which this is the next step.
Domer is absolutely correct - that is never the correct response.

It is acceptable however to call a vote kick on them, or request assistance to remove the player, after asking them politely a couple times to join the fun. Deliberately failing to assist the team, and taking a slot without intention to play, is in most cases a form of griefing.
-Boss Llama

Flash
Site Admin
Site Admin
Minecraft name: FlashTVR

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Flash » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:56 pm

Have you tried initiating a dialog with them? Maybe they just don't realize how the zombies work or something?

But if he isn't preventing others from playing the game I'm not sure anything needs to be done.

Aardvark Ratnick
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Post by Aardvark Ratnick » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:58 pm

I haven't tried to engage in a dialog with these individuals. I have mostly ignored them. But the last time one of them displayed this behavior there were three of us counting him. We got repeatedly creamed because he sat in the spawn shooting a wall. While I and another tried to progress. Really hacked me off.

I think he knows how to play. The fundamentals of the game are not that hard to grasp. I have seen on extremely rare occasions him actually shooting zombies. But then he just stops and goes back to shooting walls.

If I report him I feel like a little kid running to tattle to the teacher. "Teacher, Jessie is touching me!" I guess my options are to ignore him, report him or initiate a vote kick on him. Although it would feel wonderful to jump up and down on him with golf shoes. Pity golf shoes are not part of the game.

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:37 pm

"Tattling to the teacher" is what keeps our community one of the best on the 'net. Mature gamers don't have time to waste on immature ones, and we do our best to keep them to a minimum. We'll work with the ones that can be worked with, and remove the ones that can't. Think of it as house keeping. If there's a mess, you clean it up, or call somebody who can. Then things are clean again, and life proceeds more happily.
-Boss Llama