Dog
Server Ops
Server Ops

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Coop Mode

Post by Dog » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:38 pm

Coop mode has become too easy and I'm not happy with it.
So if it is to continue, then I might do the following:

-- Friendly fire is going back on
-- Players will slowly be infected - gradually lose health and will need to pick up health to stay alive or cap flags

There is no challenge right now, and looking at the top stats people, they just kill Zombies at no risk to themselves.
*yawn*

<eVa> + Sarge +
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Coop Mode

Post by <eVa> + Sarge + » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:23 am

I'm with you Dog. I was on earlier in the week and watched as one of the top guys sat on a roof on Drizz and just killed zombies w/o helping cap or help the team. What fun is that?

Can the server be moved to the east coast of the US :P or maybe up in Canada?

Dog
Server Ops
Server Ops

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Dog » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:13 am

Would Europe be acceptable?
Carrot plays on TV4 (Chicago) with no major effects (I think)!

Aardvark Ratnick
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Post by Aardvark Ratnick » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:36 am

I think I understand your feelings on this. Low populations on coop server is basically a zombie slaughter fest. Drizz especially. But, at least for me, I find it difficult to cap flags because the zombies come at you from all directions. I end up taking care of 4 or 5 in front and to the side only to clobbered from behind by four or five more.

I truly enjoy playing on coop because FF is off. That and the allies only mode. Sort of stress relief. It would be sad to see COOP be just like the others. I started on COOP.

Ummm Did Chicago join the European Union when I wasn't looking?
Last edited by Aardvark Ratnick on Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

<eVa> + Sarge +
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by <eVa> + Sarge + » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:38 am

I have noticed a lot of traffic from European/Asian players. Russia, Germany, France, Spain, Korea and such.

How about Stoke-On-Trent! Carrot can play with a 1 ping :P

On IV in Chicago I am at a 45 usually, which is pretty good, and for some reason I get a very nice ping to servers on the Big Island too. (United Kingdom) :roll:

v.o.c
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by v.o.c » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:29 am

i will admit, coop does nothing for me at all. i cant play the server so speccing is as far as i can get.

Of all the ville servers TV4 gives me the best ping, around 140ish. we do have a fair bit of European traffic on tv4 germany, spain and russia spring to mind. Im not sure how populated the aussie server gets but i would imagine that a European server would pretty much match it if not surpass it.
<eVa> + Sarge + wrote: How about Stoke-On-Trent! Carrot can play with a 1 ping :P
1 ping, ive played with 100+ ping now for so long, id either be awesome or bad beyond belief.

back to coop, my experience is that it does resort in kill farming. it narks me when players moan about capping flags, thinking they should just be slaughtering the zombies. Theres only so much that can be done to encourage capping but some will still prefer to camp up high and do nothing but kill.
Hey you Would'nt you like to be a vicious orange carrot too?

STEAM a Bi Product of tea.

Dog
Server Ops
Server Ops

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Dog » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:53 am

This is why I'm thinking that dropping their health gradually, due to the virus, is the only way to make them get off their perches and run and pick up objects from dropped Zombies or cap flags

A UK server would be good. I think the NZ/Aus population is too small and very, very few of them have joined this community - if any at all.

v.o.c
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by v.o.c » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:17 pm

just an idea could you not incorporate something that your health goes up when your near a flag, (a bit like how the sandlions dont go near the stompers in hl2) to encourage capping. But this would only work if the flag was zombie controlled.
Hey you Would'nt you like to be a vicious orange carrot too?

STEAM a Bi Product of tea.

Aardvark Ratnick
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Post by Aardvark Ratnick » Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:23 pm

Careful about thinking that reducing the health gradually would force players to cap. It might also force players to leave. Then you would be left with an under populated server once again. It would be a shame to see the number of server dedicated to L4DOD reduced yet again. We need someway to get the population higher for the coop server. That would be a good start. It is not a solution but it is a start. I don't play COOP near as much as I used to because it is now in Australia. If the original COOP were up and running I would be on that much more often as it provided me the best ping and the least amount of weirdness.

Dog
Server Ops
Server Ops

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Dog » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:10 pm

Have taken note of what you said. I don't like the idea of removing health needlessly.
Having said that, there is no incentive for players to try and win Coop.
The Zs need to be more powerful and more likely to win.

Aardvark Ratnick
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Post by Aardvark Ratnick » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:32 pm

Any idea as to why the population for the COOP server is low most of the time? Today I played a map or two, me and 2 others. Was really hoping for more to join. Eventually grew bored and went back to the other ones. I would think that people in the south east Asia area would join that server since it is closer. I am afraid at this rate that region of the world is going to loose a server.

Dog
Server Ops
Server Ops

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Dog » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:53 pm

Too late.
I gave it 10 months.

New IP 217.163.22.172:27105

P. E. Logos
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by P. E. Logos » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:53 pm

I'd offer advice to help encourage non-camping in coop mode... but I never play it. xD
So! good luck.
Personally I think the ammo drop cutback was an excellent stymie to camping, but I guess they just use their secondary.

The Weasel
New Villun
New Villun

Games Played

Post by The Weasel » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:35 pm

Ok, I like coop mode, yet hate campers. As you know, I'm a cap whore. I just like too play aggressive. (so i die lots more, than most) I do like not having TK on, some times. Not having too worry about capping your buddy, while putting the smack down on a Z is nice. However, TK on makes you focus a bit more! My only concern would be if the Z's are harder (my GOD the UNG was ree-dick-u-less for awhile there) that we may loose players. I've had a few bad nights, where I almost rage quit, due too not being able to make head way on capping some flags. Any who, nice too see that youre tring too find that happy balance. I rarely play any other servers, now! Problem with that, is there is an adjustment when you play against "armed" opponents.
Now the only problem that I have, is when the server gets full. Things get really laggy for me. As well as the last flag too cap! Must be my computer, but I just have too change my style at the last flag. Oh, and the Chicago server "timed out" the other night. After the second one, I just closed it down. This has happened on other servers, so I think its just the computer I have. But have noticed it happening to others, so any Idea of the cause/fix?
Any how, good bunch of folks here! Glad too play alongside ya'll!

M_G_P
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by M_G_P » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:20 am

a stoke on trent server sounds great to me :)