Join the Left4DoD Steam Group: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/left4dod
dodforever
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Participate In a Day of Defeat Movie!

Post by dodforever » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:23 pm

Hello all!

I would like to invite the day of defeat community to participate in an original day of defeat movie project.

First off, I hope the moderators don't mind me posting this here. I think this project strongly relates to the dod game and I am only trying to help boost the community. Your support would be greatly appreciated!

--------------------
Brief Movie Info
--------------------

The overall theme for the movie is a historic look at the Day of Defeat from beta until today. It will be a mixture of Day of Defeat 1.3 and Day of Defeat: Source footage. As well as historic elements of past beta days, important events, and other related material. ...And of course, cool frag footage.

This is an ambitious project, meant to be as professional grade as possible and therefore you can expect a fair amount of 3D, Special Effects, and meticulous editing involved. A custom edited & mixed soundtrack will lay the foundation.

We have dedicated visual effects artists, mappers and editors from the community lending their talents for this project.

If I had to drop a style reference--it'd be roughly based of the style of the Day of Defeat Source trailer and other Valve dod mini-movies, but more grand in scale. To emphasize, this is meant to look polished and not amateur, we're putting lots of time and energy to ensure this!

Besides containing the usual exciting frag section, we have decided to include a kind of prologue sequence. This opening scene revolves around a dramatic allied take over of a bunker inside Day of Defeat classic map: dod_hill. You can maybe consider it a kind of BF1942-style intro, but for Day of Defeat.

This is what we're filming right now.

----------------------------------
What you get for participating!
----------------------------------

Everyone who participates, however little (even just by showing up), will receive a full name credit in the movie. Ideally (that is if you provide us with the information we need), your credit will be "FirstName "TAG" LastName (Clan)" or a similar variation.

In addition to credits, we would like to reward your time spent helping us make this movie by offering a few prizes.

There are 3 different prizes you can win:

1. $20 Steam Gift Certificate
2. HL1 or HL2 Game Server (either public or private) for 3 months. You pick the game, mod, addons, etc.
3. 50GB Webspace & Seedbox on my 1Gbit Up/Down bandwidth server (it's quite fast!) for 3 months.

Each award of the 3 awards will be given out twice, using a random raffle based on participation. There are 24 more scenes to be filmed and each time you participate we will save your steamID you automatically receive one raffle ticket. The more you participate, the more times your name/id will be entered. So if you're there for all 24 scenes remaining, you'll have that many more chances to win. If you win, you will have a choice to pick which prize you'd like, assuming it hasn't already been taken. Each person can only win once.

-----------------------------------------------------
So you're interested? Here's how to join us…
-----------------------------------------------------

1. Join the dodForever Movie steam group: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/dodforevermovie
2. Send us an email with you name, tag, clan and steam name. Send email to dodforevermovie@gmail.com

Some people have expressed caution about spam and email. Well, this project is real (we've already had two events) and we would never spam you or anything like that. The only reason we ask your info is so we can credit your name in the movie credits properly. An email would make things much easier than having to track you down later. If you're still reluctant, that's ok, the most important thing is you join the steam group as all immediate information is posted there.

To participate you must have the following:

a. Latest update of Day of Defeat: Source installed
b. Ventrilo installed and updated.
c. Ability to listen to our directions and role-play certain parts/roles (no worries, it's not overly complicated).
b. Patience, there may be some downtime while we explain directions to everyone or organize since there will be large groups of participants involved.

All details, such as server and connection information is available within the steam group announcements and info sections. If you have any questions please feel free to email us (dodforevermovie@gmail.com) or message "Vlad" from the steam group.

Thank you all so much for your help! We really appreciate it.

Have a pleasant evening.

-Vlad & dodForever Movie Team

P.S. Some of you have special talents or experience in visual effects, editing, 3D work, demo camera smooth capture etc. If you are interested in working with us, we would love your help! Just send us an email (to dodforevermovie@gmail.com) and let us know what you're interested in working on. Thanks.
Last edited by dodforever on Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Participate In a Day of Defeat Movie!

Post by Boss Llama » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:55 pm

Greetings,

Thank you for considering our community - I'm sure some of our members will be interested in participating.

Just so you're aware (and yes, I know this might be a boilerplate post, but I'll mention it anyway), The Ville isn't a clan, nor is it home to any. We have four non-competitive guilds that work together as a part of our community, all putting The Ville before themselves; <eVa>, <TVB>, .TVR, and =US-V= are all Villuns above all.

Best wishes on the film project. It sounds cool, and I look forward to the final product.
-Boss Llama

l3eeron
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by l3eeron » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:13 pm

Hell, I'll try to be avail for this...

email sent.

dodforever
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Post by dodforever » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:24 pm

Thanks for the correction Alizée Fan, I edited the original post to reflect that. It's probably even better to reach to a whole community!

And thank you all for already responding with emails, keep them coming--we'll need quite a few people!

dodforever
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Post by dodforever » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:50 pm

Hey everyone!

A few updates on the status of the project are in order...

First, I realize the previous posts haven't really shed much light on what is exactly that we're doing. So let me reveal some more details :)

Although the whole movie will consist of many parts, what we're doing here specifically is going to be part of the prologue of the film. If you are familiar with the intro scenes of the Battlefield series games, we are doing something vaguely similar to that.

What we have planned is a dramatic and (we hope) exciting allied take over of the bunker fort in the map dod_hill_classic (it's a throw back to day of defeat's beta days). Complete with body flying explosions, covert running and shooting, elite snipers and a healthy amount of concrete blasting.

Staying true to our as-professional-possible approach, many sequences and actions will captured using heavily modified versions of the map (dod_hill). We have an experienced mapper working on designing the set for us with controlled explosions, and other cool nifty stuff.
But of course, for this to be a true success we need YOUR participation!

Currently we have about 10 confirmed participants with another 10 pending. The total amount we're seeking is 30 confirmed people, so help us reach that goal!

We have a working date selected for this weekend:

Sunday, October 24th @ 7PM EST

*This may be subject to change depending on the continued response we get from interested participants.

If you have not already done so, please email us your information (to dodforevermovie@gmail.com), please include in your email if you can make it this Sunday evening, and if not, what your preferred day/time is.

Don't forget to join our steam group! http://steamcommunity.com/groups/dodforevermovie

Once more, thank you all so, so much for your interest and commitment.

Best,

Vlad & dodForever Team

P.S. We've decided to lift the age and mic restrictions.

Age--What is most important is that everyone follows directions in a mature and focused manner, so if you can do that--we'd love to have you.

Mic--Although it is convenient being able to communicate back and forth via voice chat, it is not imperative that you are able to communicate back via voice. However, it is still extremely important that you are able to use a program like ventrilo or teamspeak to at least listen to directions as they are given out.
Last edited by dodforever on Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stevo
Everlasting Villun
Everlasting Villun
Minecraft name: StevoTVR
Uplay name: StevoTVR

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Stevo » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:54 pm

Which time zone is that?

OldMan
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by OldMan » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:31 pm

dodforever wrote:We have a working date selected for this weekend:

Sunday, October 24th @ 7PM EST

Stevo
Eastern Standard Time (East coast of United States)

I was thinking of signing up, but I have to work all that weekend...

Stevo
Everlasting Villun
Everlasting Villun
Minecraft name: StevoTVR
Uplay name: StevoTVR

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Stevo » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:11 pm

Yeah he edited that in...

Too bad that overlaps with the MeleeMania or I might have been interested. Good luck. :)

Dog
Server Ops
Server Ops

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Dog » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:35 pm

Wanna bet they won't add the L4DoD Mod?
:lol:

Cpt._Keyes
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Cpt._Keyes » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:22 am

Dog wrote:Wanna bet they won't add the L4DoD Mod?
:lol:
Im pretty sure i remember seeing that in the history books...so im sure it will be added
CG6505 CPT Nelson LCDR Wischmeier AST1 Skimin AMT2 Nichols-4SEP08
CG1705 LCDR Barnes LT Bryant AMTC Seidman AET2 Grigonis AET2 Beacham AMT2 Moletzsky AMT3 Kreder-29OCT09
CG6017 LT Krueger AMT1 Hoke AMT2 Banks-07JUL10
CG6535 LCDR Taylor LTjg Cameron ASTC Jorge AET3 Knight-29FEB12
WPB87340-2 BMC Terrell Horne-2Dec12
WMSL751 BM3 Obendorf-18DEC13

tsmitho
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by tsmitho » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:24 am

sounds pretty awesome. I own DOD but have never played it before :/ If I knew how to play i definitely would have liked to be in this :P

| AMD Phenom 9950 Black Edition | ATI 5830 | 4GB Corsair Dominator PC6400 | ASUS Board | Liquid Cooled |

Darklightr
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Loading…

Post by Darklightr » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:29 pm

So, dodforever has come to The Ville as well? Hm, interesting.....
Thanks, Blah! I owe you one!

dodforever
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Post by dodforever » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:53 pm

Hah!

Indeed I have... and I very much appreciate the warm response from everyone here.

:)

dodforever
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Post by dodforever » Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:38 pm

Hey everyone!

One last major update before the day!

We will be capturing scenes with up to 30 people tomorrow at 7PM EST.

That is: Sunday, October 24th 2010 @ 7:00PM EST (Eastern Standard Time)

Also, there are different roles, positions and assignments throughout capturing process. Some are relatively specific and require you to do specific actions, while others are more general and revolve mostly around running from one point to another.

For those interested, these "special" roles will be assigned to people on a first come, first serve basis.

However, in the event we have more than 30 people showing up to participate, to keep things fair we will select players based on the following criteria:

1. If you have emailed us a confirmation of attendance, you will be have the most priority to participate and select a specific role to play. Think of it as an RSSP… if you do it, you'll be locked in and potentially get to be front and center on all the really cool stuff we have planned.

2. If you have NOT emailed us a confirmation, but are a member of the steam group or you have emailed us an initial response to the original forum post you will be selected next.

3. Finally, if you are an on the spot participant and have never emailed us nor joined the steam group beforehand we will do our best to fill you in, but we cannot promise if more people from category 1 or 2 show up.

That said,

At the moment, I don't foresee a big problem with too many people. I just wanted to post this in the event it does occur. In fact, we could still use some more people if you are available and interested.

You can let us know that you're coming (your confirmation) by sending us an email to dodforevermovie@gmail.com with your name/tag or steam name.

Please also join the steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/dodforevermovie

I will update this post one last time tomorrow with ventrilo connect info.

Thank you very much again. We look forward to seeing you tomorrow :)

dodforever
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Post by dodforever » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:03 am

Hey all!

First of all, I would like to extend a super gigantic thank you to everyone who showed up Sunday night!

Despite being able to record only about 4 of 19 scenes, I believe the event was very much a success. The recording session tonight has brought back tons of great feedback and generated many new ideas on how we can improve for next time.

We are already fast at work on things like automatically scripted name/team assignments and more specific, organized instructions. Even as of tonight, we've already devised a more organized system for ventrilo, class selections and our own staff organization. Once refined and implemented, I believe we can cut the downtime by at least half (honestly, probably many more times that).

For those who missed the event, fear not, we have lots and lots in store for you still. In fact the plan is to shift gears a bit, and we will instead capture many of the 8-15 player scenes while we refine our organization process. Sometime in the next two weeks, there will be another massive 30 player event, and this time we envision it to go by quickly and smoothly.

Oh and I bet some of you are wondering: How's the footage? Well… I had a chance to review what we got last night and let me tell you, the bridge explosions alone were worth it. In slow motion especially it's quite a stunning picture.

I will be recording and posting clips of the footage shortly (probably in the next couple of days as I announce the next events).

In the mean time, if you are interested in joining us for next time, please join the steam group:

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/dodforevermovie

All detailed updates and specific information will be posted on there.

Thank you all again, and have a wonderful day!

Vlad & dodForever Team