Masakari
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Masakari » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:42 pm

[quote="TheCarpe";p="114435"]
TVB got kind of a raw deal in the warz. We lost the 1st round since a redo was called on a known hazard...[/quote]The biggest thing about that was that it essentially killed off our entire team in one shot before even having a chance to do anything that round. If it had happened to you guys, I would have asked for a redo for you guys - mid round is fine (And it did happen in the melee battle where more of eVa got killed than TVB, for the record), but not even getting a chance to play is lame.
...and we lost a stalemate in round 4 because one of us got bored after waiting 5 minutes and spawned as a different class for all of 10 or so seconds before respawning as an Engi again.
From what I understood, there were people in your guys' spawn shooting at our machines with the medic attached. I may have misheard, as I didn't actually see it, but if that wasn't the case.....I would disagree with the DSQ as well. If anything, changing class would have prevented the machines from staying up. If you guys were shooting at our stuff, that's bad taste.

Probably my biggest disappointment in the TVB match was that after we had won the fourth round in the second match, we were trying to get together to do one last round in the fourth ring or to do the captain's melee battle, and the entire TVB team wasn't cooperating. Honestly, there was still a half-hour to kill, and the fact that you weren't even going to attempt getting organized to do a (And here's the magic word) for-fun round didn't impress me. Everytime I spawn in arena 3, there were people hunting me down, so I did eventually just leave. After the actual match was the perfect time to do all the stupid and crazy stuff, but we weren't even given the chance to organize something.

That isn't to say I didn't have fun. Half the fun was simply trying to analyze strategies and pulling off miraculous wins (IE my super-sneaky pistol/shotty round where I hid below and randomly showed myself to kill you guys), and while I did have my disappointments (Sui-jumping into a bad healthpack in the 2nd round was probably the worst for me), I had a great time. My team was a blast to play with, they were great sports, and our competitors gave us a good challenge and a whole bunch of close rounds.
I am the 1%!

Nick Mame
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Engy Warz IV

Post by Nick Mame » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:49 am

Yeesh - I sense an Assimilate or DIE vibe going out all over this thread.

I can't say much without turning this into an even hotter topic:

You are not alone in your love of competition, TTHREAZ.

I wish those who claim that 'TheVille fun' has been misunderstood or violated would first attempt to understand what others mean by 'competitive'.

It'd be nice if TheVille as a noun was used to refer to the collective of players who frequent the servers rather than some well-defined category which some regulars may or may not fall under.

It'd be nice if criticism was at least acknowledged instead of brushed aside as the idle ramblings of a naive individual.

KRG shouldn't think anyone wants the event to be abolished (none of us do!) and should be commended for the tone of his responses.

While I'm fond of debate, I do not enjoy writing blatantly hostile things. But alas, I am disappointed.

l3eeron
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by l3eeron » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:02 am

The constructive criticism will never fall, brushed aside...

We do our best to appeal to all our regs (in particular). If the Kilaak shenanigans were too much to handle than just say so. We can do straight up engy warz...

I remember the first time a Kilaak wiped his ass with me. I wasn't stoked. But I remembered it, and it was fun in the end.

It's totally up to you... us... as a community... it's our community... and we do what we want. A "Kilaaks during engy warz suck yes or no" poll works great. It's just a matter of getting your point across. Hopefully you can do so in a tactful manner.

Nick, it'd be nice if we could enjoy the ville's atmosphere anywhere, but alas we can not.... so yes, we do fit into a well defined category. People either enjoy it, or move on. "Assimilate or die" sounds a little harsh, I'm not sure I understand your coming from. Ya, we like to win... it's game, there's winners and losers. But, the magic happens when it doesn't matter if you win or lose... and you still had a good time.

Tarrock
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Tarrock » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:22 am

I'm kinda with Threads with this one. It would of been nice if we would of been warned when we signed up that the maps would be littered with booby traps etc. Not fun to find out during the actual competition.
Was expecting this to be a major competition of skill, but most the matches came down to which side knew what was gonna happen on the maps. I ended up showing up a little late and was made later by the 32 meg download, and when I finally got ingame I was walking into health packs that were automatic killers.
I dunno what the **** happened on the melee map, half the team was killed guess that was the ufo everyones talking about. Then on the final map the random teleporting was just plain inferiating. Got thrown under the map and had to suicide, and also cut off a nice chunk of the map to use in your strategy.

I'm just not a guy who likes competitions where goofy **** happens. A warning on the sign-up page would of at least of been an improvement instead of finding out when it was too late.
[img]http://i509.photobucket.com/albums/s335/TopHatDesign/demoteam3Tarrock.png[/img]

Nanite
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Nanite » Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:46 am

The sticking point seems to be some people thought it was an actual competition while the organizers had no intention of it really being so. B is right it can be a straight up competition if you want it to be. It's not hard for Hammer to pull the bewbie traps out of the map. But if it's going to be a real competition you'll need to take a second look at the teams. I know I'd have no interest in playing in it anymore if it became a serious competition. I have enough experience with TheCup here to know how that changes people and I don't wish to associate with it.

If you want it to be a straight up real competition just say so. I'm sure KRG can come up with another start date a few weeks out so people can reorganize the teams with people that want it to be hardcore.

B is also right about constructive criticism. A few people came in and just complained without offering anything that was remotely constructive. We used to have lots of events. But more and more people just complained about them so no one wanted to bother organizing them anymore. There was a point for a year or two where we had 0 events. I'd hate to see that again because there are some fun things down the pipeline.

TheCarpe
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by TheCarpe » Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:24 am

I'm just not a guy who likes competitions where goofy poop happens. A warning on the sign-up page would of at least of been an improvement instead of finding out when it was too late.
Yeah. Someone posting something like this on page 5 of this thread would have been great:

[quote="Mad-Hammer";p="113177"]You all can't fault me for this at all. KRG said,"Hammer, build us a map." I built the map. This is all KRG's fault, he let the Kilaaks hijack his computer and they stole the .bsp.

I don't know anything about exploding med kits. They work absolutely fine for me. Of course, I have a habit of only taking the first two and never the third.

If you did manage to get outside the map on stage 1, I suggest not riding Kilaak Airlines and jumping off outside the fence. If you fall out of the flying saucer outside the fence, then your only option is to suicide as there's no way to get back to the teleporters. I guess,.........I could put a teleporter out there but God knows where it would lead to.

If you were playing as a demo or soldier, then yes you can get outside the map. In my rush to get this built, I didn't put in the usual player clips to limit people from getting to certain areas. I only built it with engineers in mind and engineers don't have much vertical jump. If we ever used it for another class, then that stuff would have to be put in.

In closing, sniff, I would just like to say how offended and heartbroken I am, that my fellow Villuns would think that KRG and myself would go out of our way to build an evil map. I can't speak for KRG but as for myself, I can say that this map was put together solely in the interest of fair and true competition. {End B.S.}

Hope everyone likes the graphics. I have more fun putting together the textures than building the map. If I left somebody out, we'll get you the next time.
[/quote]
Heck's Kitchen - TVC'08 & '11 ** The Axecutioners - TVC'09 ** Hale's Angels - TVC'10 ** CCCP - TVC'12 ** Ville Cuppin' Cakes - TVC'13 ** TheCarpetbaggers - TVC'14 CHAMPIONS

Mad-Hammer
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Mad-Hammer » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:14 am

Let me just say to those of you who were offended by all the shenanigans, "I'm Sorry" I'm sorry that we assumed that folks would know this was by NO means a serious competition.

My reasons for stating this are; first, the Ville guilds Never compete against each other in serious competition, and secondly, if a Kilaak is involved, things are gonna blow up.

If the Ville was all about competition, I would have never put that map together for a rival guild. But, it's not, I wanted TVB to have the best map I could generate, something they would be proud of. Yes, we're all in different guilds but in the end, we're all Villuns.

Many of the gripes have been "I didn't know" We rushed the map out the door a week in advance so folks could download it and have a look around.

In the end, KRG and myself misjudged the reactions to the map. Yes, I'll be the first to admit.......it was really over the top. Am I upset, no, disappointed a little bit...yes.

I will make this offer though, if some of you folks want a straight up competition map, we can build you a straight up competition map. You will have to organize your teams and find someone to run it.

As for the rest of Engy Warz 4, hopefully KRG will press on and finish it.
Image[/center]

So Uncivilized
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by So Uncivilized » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:19 am

I'm sure others will chime in...

But my problem was NOT with the map!!

Was I bummed when our entire team was blown up and no one on the other team was, right at the start of a round? sure. Could I have lived with it, yeah.

It wasn't the style or madcap nature of the competition, either. I'm just speaking for myself, here, though. Others I think have things to iron out.

I learned about slapping and air strikes and all that stuff a few months ago and expected it going into this.

I guess my suggestion is to slap the 'FUN NIGHT' label on almost everything so it won't seem competitive. I must admit to being a little foozled by the fact that there are actual guild teams, and I should have thought 'this will be even less competitive than anything else!'

TTHREAZ
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by TTHREAZ » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:04 am

[quote="Tarrock";p="114557"]I'm kinda with Threads with this one[/quote]

Who's Threads? :eh3:

Tarrock
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Tarrock » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:21 am

[quote="TheCarpe";p="114579"]
I'm just not a guy who likes competitions where goofy poop happens. A warning on the sign-up page would of at least of been an improvement instead of finding out when it was too late.
Yeah. Someone posting something like this on page 5 of this thread would have been great:

[quote="Mad-Hammer";p="113177"]You all can't fault me for this at all. KRG said,"Hammer, build us a map." I built the map. This is all KRG's fault, he let the Kilaaks hijack his computer and they stole the .bsp.

I don't know anything about exploding med kits. They work absolutely fine for me. Of course, I have a habit of only taking the first two and never the third.

If you did manage to get outside the map on stage 1, I suggest not riding Kilaak Airlines and jumping off outside the fence. If you fall out of the flying saucer outside the fence, then your only option is to suicide as there's no way to get back to the teleporters. I guess,.........I could put a teleporter out there but God knows where it would lead to.

If you were playing as a demo or soldier, then yes you can get outside the map. In my rush to get this built, I didn't put in the usual player clips to limit people from getting to certain areas. I only built it with engineers in mind and engineers don't have much vertical jump. If we ever used it for another class, then that stuff would have to be put in.

In closing, sniff, I would just like to say how offended and heartbroken I am, that my fellow Villuns would think that KRG and myself would go out of our way to build an evil map. I can't speak for KRG but as for myself, I can say that this map was put together solely in the interest of fair and true competition. {End B.S.}

Hope everyone likes the graphics. I have more fun putting together the textures than building the map. If I left somebody out, we'll get you the next time.
[/quote][/quote]

In a competition with 48 slots and 55 people signed up, a thread becoming tl;dr after 2 pages of 'sign me up!'. I didn't make it to page 5 and I doubt very many others made it to page 5.

Will I show up for next weeks match? ya
Will I expect this during Engy Wars 5? I will now.

I just think that this was too well designed to look and act like an actual tournament for people to walk into it and half the team get killed randomly.

I do somewhat agree with Uncivilized though.It would of been fine if it was planned fun nights for 2 weeks instead of the teams. Dunno about the other matches but ours was only like 4v4 or 5v5. Maybe in the future set up a 32 person server and people can just go and have fun for the weekends instead of a huge scheadule of teams vs teams. Also a warning at the bottom of ever top of the orginal thread would of been nice that we should of expecting ufo crashes and booby traps. I checked the event on the news page daily and would of easily of seen this instead of digging through pages and pages of 'sign me up!'. I expected to go into a map with an open field like the Engy wars 4 picture(misleading).

The main problem though is that this is made out to be a huge competition. Maybe during next years do it a little different so people don't go into it with a competitive mentality and more of a fun mentality like meleemania.
[img]http://i509.photobucket.com/albums/s335/TopHatDesign/demoteam3Tarrock.png[/img]

KRG
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by KRG » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:57 am

In this fourth installment of Engy Warz, it was tough to do without EMP's so I decided to make things silly, otherwise you would have constant stalemates. I've never had such trouble in any of these Warz events that I recall. But again, the previous events were not billed as silly like this and we had grenades. lol

As I've said to TTHREAZ and I'll say it again, nothing wrong with a little competitiveness, we had a lot of it in the latest matches. I thought it was awesome watching ferret entrenched alone but battling it out against all odds, that was competitiveness. TheVille welcomes all of you who have that competitive nature in you.

However, this event was billed as fun and while competition was expected and welcome, silliness was to get the better half. I thought of having it only for TheVille guilds to keep it this way but later decided to open it to all. The map was provided before the event and everyone had a chance to look around and discover the "booby" traps. If you did not do this, that's really your error.

As for everyone's criticisms, of course they are taken into account. Hammer is trying to work out some things in the map to make it a bit more fun for all.

Things I did wrong;
- Using a bracket system made things look "competitive".
- I tried to do too much on my own and that led to sketchy organization.
- The ship was a bit much, though I still think it's hilarious! It's a bit much.

Little things here and there could have been done better of course. Live and learn. Hammer did basically what I asked him to do and he rocked that map, it's brilliant! Some things were over the top and we know that. I've taken into account everyone's criticisms and will certainly use them in the future. The Next Engy Warz will be vastly improved to be much more like the originals.

Next up will be HeavyMed Warz II, which is far easier to organize/understand and will not be billed as "goofy".

Eng Warz continues, starting this Saturday with the semi-finals. Thank you to everyone who was gracious in win or defeat despite all of the problems, I really appreciate it. My apologies for the sketchy organization and other issues, I'll use your input to make the next one better.
I have a butt and you do too. Let's be friends.

Stevo
Everlasting Villun
Everlasting Villun
Minecraft name: StevoTVR
Uplay name: StevoTVR

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Stevo » Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:09 am

I guess for future reference for those that are new, anything with the word "Kilaak" is not going to be a fair competition. :lol:

TheCarpe
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by TheCarpe » Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:18 am

[quote="Tarrock";p="114595"]In a competition with 48 slots and 55 people signed up, a thread becoming tl;dr after 2 pages of 'sign me up!'. I didn't make it to page 5 and I doubt very many others made it to page 5.[/quote]

Lack of preparation on your part does not constitute an inconvenience on mine. Plenty downloaded the map early and many of those knew what to expect. Knowing what you're getting into is half the battle. *I* never died from Kilaak intereference ;)

Regardless. This is turning into more than it should be. This is all I have left to say:

Hammer, thank you for the map, for better or for wosre, I at least had fun with it.

KRG, TVB, and all involved, thank you for organizing the event.

All Ville admins and planning committees, thank you for your continued effort to bring fun activites to TheVille.

I wish I were seeing more of that in the last 5 or so pages :?
Heck's Kitchen - TVC'08 & '11 ** The Axecutioners - TVC'09 ** Hale's Angels - TVC'10 ** CCCP - TVC'12 ** Ville Cuppin' Cakes - TVC'13 ** TheCarpetbaggers - TVC'14 CHAMPIONS

DeafOfficeWorker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by DeafOfficeWorker » Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:25 am

I think several of us have learned a few things from this experience. :wink:

In addition to smelling bad and a lack of communication skills, the Kilaaks cheat.

There are no serious competitions at the Ville.

Diplomacy and tactfulness will always succeed whereas adversarial negativity will always fail.

TVB is the best Ville guild.

DOW rocks like the prince of darkness.

Jim Beam, apparently, will never get his dog back.
Last edited by DeafOfficeWorker on Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
[img]http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s68/pootleshooter/kpsdow.gif[/img]

OBTUSE OF KILAAK
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by OBTUSE OF KILAAK » Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:26 am

MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!

SILEE HEWMANZ BLOW UP FRUM KILAAK BUBEE TRAPZ!!!!

ALL YOOR GIBZ AR BEELONG TU US!!!
Last edited by OBTUSE OF KILAAK on Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
EVUL WIL ALWAEEZ PREEVAYL BEEKUZ GOOD IZ DUM