TTHREAZ
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Engy Warz IV

Post by TTHREAZ » Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:35 pm

See, I know the word "competition" is all taboo around these parts but come on, it's human nature to want to succeed at things. Are you telling me that if you had 6 level 3 sentries right outside your spawn door killing anything that moved on your team, you would be singing and holding hands and declaring "man this is awesomely fun"?

Maybe my brain is wired differently. I've been competing in FPS games on and off for the past 7 years. It's in my blood to want to win. Did I have fun during those 7 years? Oh heck yeah! Can you have a little competition in a fun event? Sure you can! It seems like the "for fun only" thing can't always be fun. That's all I'm saying. It's not a black or white issue. Some people will invariably get their panties in a twist over something. Again, it's just human nature.

Don't get me wrong, I had fun last night. Engy Warz is a cool concept in itself. I was just bummed and frustrated that I dide to a UFO and not face to face with my enemy.

EDIT: Oh, I came here and I'm still here to get away from competition. I'm trying to have a more laid back approach to games. I sign up for the events because I enjoy the people in this community and I know there will be some fun to be had. Just don't crucify me if I want to succeed.

KRG
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by KRG » Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:00 pm

No worries TTHREAZ. Nothing wrong at all with wanting to win, we had some great matches last night.

If the consensus is to just cancel the rest of it, we can. I don't want anyone upset over it at all, that's obviously the opposite of what it was meant to do. It was truly meant to be funny and obviously was not too funny for some. It's not the CUP and was loosely thrown together, again I take full responsibility.

No worries, live and learn, sometimes these things just go this way.
I have a butt and you do too. Let's be friends.

TTHREAZ
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by TTHREAZ » Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:49 pm

Oh, don't cancel it. The event itself is fine. It's the map antics that were a little unexpected. I know I had no idea they were there and I'm sure others didn't either. Once we learned which health packs not to touch, we were OK there. It was that darned UFO that got us.

DeafOfficeWorker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by DeafOfficeWorker » Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:09 pm

[quote="TTHREAZ";p="114392"]It's the map antics that were a little unexpected. I know I had no idea they were there and I'm sure others didn't either...It was that darned UFO that got us.[/quote]

For future reference, any event that involves the Kilaaks will have antics. Lots of 'em. It's an expected tradition that's been here for years.

I understand that this was the first contact some of the new folks had with the Kilaaks. Now you know what to expect.

How many communities have the talent and dedication to have a custom map created just for one fun event? How many times have you seen a smoldering UFO crash and annihilate a whole team in TF2? I thought it was hilarious and clever. I think Hammer whipped that map up for us in only a couple of weeks.

We have a very unusual community here. We have many things (like Cube Soccer for example) which set us apart from everyone else. An engy-only fun night or other type of team competition is nothing special. Ville-style will always have extra gravy to make it uniquely better...if you can understand and appreciate it.

Pardon my possibly perceived irritation, but it's like having someone over for dinner only to have them tell you that your cooking sucks.

Welcome to the :ville: Ville :ville:

...never serious business.

:)
[img]http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s68/pootleshooter/kpsdow.gif[/img]

JohnCarterofMars
Everlasting Villun
Everlasting Villun

Ville Awards

Post by JohnCarterofMars » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:53 pm

well said DOW... I had a great time Sunday night and I look forward to seeing what happens next weekend. gg eva and thanks for all your effort KRG, you have out done yourself and I am impressed with the depth of creativity and variation you have achieved with Engy Warz! keep it up!

Tickles
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Tickles » Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:11 pm

I would have been sad if it was cancelled because a few people felt it wasn't up to there satisfaction or wasn't competitive enough for them, the majority of us are having fun with the mayhem of it all. I'm liking the engy warz, it's something fun and different to do. I think I've participated in every event the ville has offered us, no complaints, they've all been fun and well thought out.

TheCarpe
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by TheCarpe » Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:46 pm

Well, when Engy Warz was first brewing and the map was released, the UFO was there and so were the health packs of death. I took a walk around the map when it was released and got a feel for what to expect. I didn't die from Kilaak interference ;)

I don't know how long you were in the map before the warz officially started, but the UFO made many flights around stage 1 before the official match began, and I saw many people hitting the health packs for fun.

TVB got kind of a raw deal in the warz. We lost the 1st round since a redo was called on a known hazard, and we lost a stalemate in round 4 because one of us got bored after waiting 5 minutes and spawned as a different class for all of 10 or so seconds before respawning as an Engi again. But that's how it goes. There was no prize, and it would have been nice to win, but what can you do? I had fun. I lost, but I had fun. I can walk away happy.

It just seemed a little like more people walked away with hurt butts than a smile.
Heck's Kitchen - TVC'08 & '11 ** The Axecutioners - TVC'09 ** Hale's Angels - TVC'10 ** CCCP - TVC'12 ** Ville Cuppin' Cakes - TVC'13 ** TheCarpetbaggers - TVC'14 CHAMPIONS

Thorn
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Thorn » Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:15 pm

Pardon my possibly perceived irritation, but it's like having someone over for dinner only to have them tell you that your cooking sucks.
I hear what you are saying for sure. Next time I can keep my thoughts to myself, I just saw that some others had some similar thoughts and didn't want to let them think they were the only ones.

and I will say it again, I really appreciate all the effort it takes to put these events together, its alot of planning and work, and the kicker is that its all done FOR other people, very generous and I commend that :D I guess I am still a newbie villun, and was not fully prepared for Kilaak insanity. Now I know!

And to use DOW's analogy. I felt like I was invited over for meat and potatoes, and instead I was served fruit loops and cheesewiz :lol:

TTHREAZ
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by TTHREAZ » Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:18 pm

I guess my points aren't coming across. I enjoy the events. If I didn't, I wouldn't sign up for the things. There are just some things that, IMO, could be a tad better. They happen, I grumble, I move on.

I have now been titled the bottom competitive guy that shouldn't be here if he has the tiniest complaint about anything. Nice.

I get the feeling that I'm the only one here who has ever competed in an FPS. Is that true?

Pardon MY irritation but I'm still trying to get used to this puppies and rainbows fun stuff. For someone to compete for 7 years, it's a little hard to not want to succeed at things. I am making a huge effort to stay away from competition because it disrupts my personal life but, damnit, I want to have fun AND win if I can.

Nanite
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Nanite » Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:23 pm

What's wrong with Fruit Loops and Cheese Whiz? :lol:

You're probably not the only TThreaz but I don't think there are very many from the regs here. And try not to take anything the wrong way. This place has never been about competition. It's always been about jumping on for a few minutes and having fun regardless of whether you win or lose. The whole I gotta have my stats and gotta win just grates on some people. Even the Cup isn't really a competition it's mostly getting on and whooping your friends then bragging about it. :lol:
Last edited by Nanite on Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DeafOfficeWorker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by DeafOfficeWorker » Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:25 pm

[quote="Thorn";p="114454"]I felt like I was invited over for meat and potatoes, and instead I was served fruit loops and cheesewiz :lol:[/quote]

It's understandable. You're new. Not everyone frequents the forums enough to always know what's going on.

[quote="TTHREAZ";p="114455"]I have now been titled the bottom competitive guy that shouldn't be here if he has the tiniest complaint about anything. Nice.
[/quote]

Is that a self-appointed title? I haven't heard anyone say that until now. :?
[img]http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s68/pootleshooter/kpsdow.gif[/img]

TheCarpe
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by TheCarpe » Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:55 pm

You're not the only one with complaints, Threaz. Nobody is singling you out.

Competition is in your blood, it's what gaming has been for you for a long time. This is a community built on fun before competition and that's a bit of a shock to your system. I'm sympathetic to that. I can't say I've ever been on any sort of competitive team but I've played a few scrims. They were fun, but for me? Some of my funnest times have been in normal, goofy games. Guessing secret words and trading quips with TV4 regulars, fun nights where people randomly blow up every few seconds. I've lost a few headshots and axe kills due to JD's slapping, then a few more because im laughing too hard. Sure, I like to win, I wouldn't be playing a game like Team Fortress if I didn't like to win. And sometimes you don't win.

*shrug*

I had fun and remain positive even in defeat. You seem to be griping following your victory. Methinks the Kilaaks have rewired our brains.
Heck's Kitchen - TVC'08 & '11 ** The Axecutioners - TVC'09 ** Hale's Angels - TVC'10 ** CCCP - TVC'12 ** Ville Cuppin' Cakes - TVC'13 ** TheCarpetbaggers - TVC'14 CHAMPIONS

jim beam
TVR Leadership
TVR Leadership

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by jim beam » Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:14 pm

Yall should just settle down and realize that no matter what yall do it will always not be good enought to beat the beam. You might even think you did but you didnt. I mean your names not even as good as mine. Its cool dont worry about it, yall were handicapped from the start not being born in Texas. Then theres the fact that you didnt go to Texas Tech except for Nuckin that I know of. And im better than Nuckin cause I dont go and steal peoples dogs!!!! Also my bourbon is waaaayyyy better than hotsauce. Yall can ust go cry now or just fell lucky that yall can say you have some connection to me so be happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Founder and Overlord of the IBG nation

Thorn
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Thorn » Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:22 pm

[quote="Nanite";p="114457"]What's wrong with Fruit Loops and Cheese Whiz? :lol: [/quote]

absolutely nothing! haha I love fruit loops (not so much cheese whiz, but you get my point :) ) I just brought my steak knife with me, not my crazy straw.

Looking back at it now, its kind of funny. Before the match, we were talking to the team, trying to come up with all this complex strategy and who will do what, where, and after all this preparation... I die to rigged med packs and out of control spaceships.

Its like a soldier trying to organize troops to go into battle while expecting 'Nam and instead the paratroopers find themselves dropping into some crazy fun house you would find at a carnival. rofl

TTHREAZ
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by TTHREAZ » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:23 pm

Sorry for being such a grumpy gus, guys. I've been a little crabby lately.