Greetings, all! To mark my final decision to officially change my name to “Boss Llama” from “Alizée Fan,” I thought it might be nice to have some sort of contest. Specifically, a contest in which you all get to beat me at stuff!
As you may have noticed, we’ve had a fair number of fantasy sports games around here recently. You may also have noticed that I play in a lot of them, by which I mean all of them and then some. This got me thinking – I believe it would be fun to have a year-long challenge encompassing all the various fantasy sports seasons! Specifically, a challenge for people to come beat me in these sports! The best part is, as several of us have demonstrated with performances over the last year or two, you don’t need to know much about the sports in question to read the numbers and do well! Considering how little I know about some of these sports myself, I should be a juicy target.
Here’s what I propose to do:
- Over the course of this year, I intend to participate in a great many fantasy leagues, including any that other people do around here. I shall post about all of them here on the forums.
- I’ll track all the points for each participant in these leagues, to be added together in a single large final score.
- Scoring for this challenge will be based on raw points in each league, and will only be compared to others within our leagues. All scores will be standardized so that no one sport or event is worth more than any other.
- If you “Beat the Boss” at the end of the year, you’ll get a fabulous prize! There’s no limit on how many people can win!
- For leagues I’m running, I may offer small prizes for individual league champions as well, though that’ll be posted for each individual league. If it’s somebody else’s league, prizes are up to them!
- The scoring system I’ll use actually means that even if you lose by a fair margin in a given league, you stay very close in the overall points! A single good result could easily overcome several bad ones. This also means that everybody should give it a try! Even if you don’t know the sport in question, join the league and give it a go for fun! If you happen to do poorly it won’t hurt you much, and you might just surprise yourself! I certainly don’t know anything about several of the sports I’ll be trying a hand at, and will be going in to many of them with zero experience. You’ve nothing to fear!
Scoring will be as follows:
- The score of each participant shall be calculated as its percentage of the top score in that league, with the top scorer being 100%.
- Each player shall receive points equal to that percentage (rounded to the nearest whole number)
- At the end of the year, the scores are added up and the winner declared
- If Player A earns 520 points in a given league, with Player B earning 510 and Player C 480, all scores in the league would be divided by 520 (the highest score) to find what percentage they are. Player A would receive 100 points (As the top scorer always will, for being 100% of the top score). Player B would receive 98 points, and Player C would receive 92 points (as their scores are 98.08% and 92.31% of the highest score, respectively)
The fine print:
- All leagues will be free - no money shall be involved. This is for fun only!
- I generally will be using ESPN leagues, as I have an account with them and several years of playing there. If other people are running fantasy leagues elsewhere though, I’ll happily join and post about it.
- I won’t count more than one of any given type of league. That is to say, I won’t have three fantasy football leagues and count them all, or count multiple entries in a bracket competition. If we have a situation like Fantasy Football this year where there were multiple Ville leagues for the same thing, only one of the leagues will be the official Beat the Boss league.
- Fabulousness of Fabulous Prizes is subjective, but I’ll try to make it cool.
The events are all wrapped up, and we had one person manage to pull it out. Congratulations to Coyote, who dominated across the year, winning three of the four events and doing pretty darn well in the other one as well! Here are the final standings:
THE BOSS BEATER!
Boss Llama 365