Mad-Hammer
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Warhammer_F1 A Final Playtest

Post by Mad-Hammer » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:56 pm

From what I saw, experienced, once the tunnel gate opened, the attackers saw that as their main means to the point. A lot of it seemed to be I think, Red didn't have an engineer.

I was shooting for making the teams come up with better tactics. I still think the breakable wall may be the best idea. Change the security warning to something along the lines of warning the defenders that the attackers are breaking down the wall
Image[/center]

Inner
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Inner » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:16 pm

Mad-Hammer wrote:From what I saw, experienced, once the tunnel gate opened, the attackers saw that as their main means to the point. A lot of it seemed to be I think, Red didn't have an engineer.

I was shooting for making the teams come up with better tactics. I still think the breakable wall may be the best idea. Change the security warning to something along the lines of warning the defenders that the attackers are breaking down the wall

I saw the same thing regarding the tunnel gate however I attributed that to the newness of it and wanting to see what it was about. I imagine that after playing the map regularly attacks would come 50/50 from the arch/tunnel.

And +1 to Plinko's comments. The final is either hard to defend or easy to attack...something. From a defense point of view (and I haven't timed it) it -seemed- to take a lot longer to get from spawn out to a defensive position. Either going straight ahead or out the tunnel to the left. For those of us who die a lot (see stats below) this is important. :)

All that said, I love the map!

Oni
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Loading…

Post by Oni » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:57 pm

The last point has always been difficult to defend though. Part of the reason it's so hard to defend in a game of all regulars is that everyone knows that. So they gear themselves for mobility and stealth and they get in there and get the cap when the opporunity presents its self. I couldn't even venture a guess on how many demomen/min were flying towards that point when I was playing last night.

I personally think it should be easier to cap then there others, at least rounds end more often and the game doesn't stalemate. You make your stand before you are pushed to the final point or it's probably gg.

If everyone really thinks it's a problem, there needs to be a chokepoint and/or spawn change...that walk is pretty long.

The breakable wall is a interesting idea would temporarily create a chokepoint and give defense a chance to hold while a few go back for the cap. This is the best solution because it the wall wouldn't be there if point 2 is then recaptured by offense.

CoyoteCreed
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by CoyoteCreed » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:09 pm

I wonder if a better alternative to a breakable wall at the new tunnel exit would be a one-way gate triggered from the defensive side. It would keep the new tunnel a viable way for the defending team to retake point 2, but force the attacking team to first get someone to the other side in order to use the tunnel to enter. If you really wanted to make things interesting, you could make the final point an additional trigger zone for the gate.

M's
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by M's » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:26 pm

CoyoteCreed wrote:I wonder if a better alternative to a breakable wall at the new tunnel exit would be a one-way gate triggered from the defensive side. It would keep the new tunnel a viable way for the defending team to retake point 2, but force the attacking team to first get someone to the other side in order to use the tunnel to enter. If you really wanted to make things interesting, you could make the final point an additional trigger zone for the gate.
That was tried but caused to many issues with the game play.

Mad-Hammer
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Mad-Hammer » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:56 pm

I think...........think, I have a solution to this problem. I'm trying an idea I had awhile back but, couldn't quite make it work. You'll have to pardon me now, I need to get back to my jackhammer and bust some concrete.

One last note, to those who commented on the low ceilings. I swear to you all I didn't lower the ceiling on the map. I raised it in a lot of spots but didn't lower it. I'm checking now to see if possibly when the map compiles, some of the "Skip/Hints" may be compiling as player clips.

If you all feel up to it, let's start planning for another playtest next Tuesday.
Image[/center]

Soup Nazi
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Soup Nazi » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:47 pm

Breakable is the perfect solution. Perhaps at the far end at the tunnel where the gate is: That way, defenders still have access from the jump down (along with a few smart jumpers from attacking). That location makes the most sense to me.
=USV= [BB] [IV] [WARPATH] [USAHB] :TIME: :TOOL:

Mad-Hammer
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Mad-Hammer » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:18 pm

Soup Nazi wrote:Breakable is the perfect solution. Perhaps at the far end at the tunnel where the gate is: That way, defenders still have access from the jump down (along with a few smart jumpers from attacking). That location makes the most sense to me.
I'm currently reworking this whole area. Trust me, I think this is going to be an improvement.
Image[/center]

Soup Nazi
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Soup Nazi » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:52 pm

Keep me posted! I'll need to take some time to annoy you with how many ledges I can miraculously cling to. =D
=USV= [BB] [IV] [WARPATH] [USAHB] :TIME: :TOOL:

MateoTheBold!
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by MateoTheBold! » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:03 pm

I should be able to make next Tuesday. These changes sound intriguing.

Warpath Cup- FU-2011, FAIL 2012
Villeympics- BB 2011, USAHB 2012
Ville Cup- HK 2011, SNES 2012, :TIME: 2013, CTB 2014

Mad-Hammer
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Mad-Hammer » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:42 pm

MateoTheBold! wrote:I should be able to make next Tuesday. These changes sound intriguing.
I'm not real sure how it will affect gameplay but.................I like the looks of this.
Image[/center]