Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Villympics Minecraft Event - Riddle Reveal

Post by Boss Llama » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:43 am

Howdy, all! Part of the tradition I like to follow when it comes to riddle-games is that at the end, there’s what’s called a “Riddle Reveal.” That is, I explain to you my thinking on the riddles, how they were supposed to get you from point A to point B, and you in exchange throw rotten tomatoes at me and threaten my continued breathing. You know how it goes. Anyway, our Minecraft Scavenger Hunt event came down to roughly 3 minutes difference between the teams, and there were questions about some of the riddles on both sides, so here’s the walk-through of the MC riddles, and what our thought process was.

Given at Spawn (First clue for BB, second spawn clue for FU)

If the lodestar
Were in this world found

Following it
Would find this ground

Bedecked with skull
Near coast of sound

Its burning embers
Eye all around

The lodestar was a star used in navigation, which indicates a northern direction. It doesn’t exist in MC, but if it did, it would take you north. On the coast of a sound off the end of the north railway was a giant Obsidian Skull (-293, 71) with a ladder descending in to it from above. Inside a fake dungeon was a chest with Cobweb blocks, and the following clue:

O'er hill, past bluff
A salty kiss

It once sought treasure
But closely missed

Towards morning rise
You'll find your goal

There wrecked upon
A sandy shoal

Towards morning rise was intended to send you east, where the sun rises in the morning. A salty kiss suggested a sea breeze, and the fact that it was o’er hill past bluff meant to go beyond the first water to the east, til you’d passed the bluffs. There was a Shipwreck (128, -555) on the sand shoals there, containing a chest of Ice. The clue:

In murky depths
A secret lies

There hidden from man's
E'er prying eyes

This secret I know
From efforts hard

Seek in the inlet
The skull did guard

“The inlet the skull did guard” was the location clue here, sending you back to the skull that was found from the first clue of this half. “In murky depths” told you to look in the water of the inlet, there. On the sea-floor were a series of arrows made out of various materials that pointed you towards the glass-topped Room on the Seabed (-386, 110), containing a box of Water blocks and this riddle:

It towers majestic
Above the land

A living monument
That's close at hand

It breathes the air
But opposite you

Discover its heights
If you be true

The clues “living monument” “towers majestic” and breathes opposite” (CO2 instead of O2) told you you were looking for a tree, while close at hand meant it was nearby. Surfacing from the underwater room, the tallest thing you could see in any direction from that spot was a curiously Thick-Trunked Tree (-270, 62) on a promontory nearby. Examining the tree would reveal a ladder in a hollow of the trunk, leading to a chest (in its heights) containing blocks of Leaves. The clue was:

Looking for
a scenic stop,

I climbed a great arch
to the top.

The tale was true,
I kid you not,

Look for the X,
The pirates sought.

The major locational clue here was the mention of the pirates. The second clue of this half sent you to a sunken ship out east, which you were told went down while seeking treasure. The “scenic stop” suggested looking for a natural feature, which (along with "great arch") referred to the enormous natural archway you recently passed by or through to reach the shipwreck. If you climbed atop the arch and looked down, there was a large and distinctive Letter X (148, -378) in the sand, made out of grass. The tree in the middle had a ladder descending next to it, leading to a chest of Sponge. The clue stated:

Your quest by now
is getting long

Notify your admin
and return to spawn

This half the hunt
is at its end

Towards other tasks
You must now wend.

Exactly what it says, one half the items have been recovered, and it’s time to notify your team’s judge and return to spawn to be given the first clue of the other half (or to turn in all your items, if this was your second half)

Given at Spawn (First clue for FU, second spawn clue for BB)

A towering behemoth
Of lava and smoke

In to which you must leap,
Or cowardly, choke.

Head towards where birds
Annually fly

When winter’s steel clouds
Darken the sky.

Birds fly south for the winter, and so should players following this clue. Upon heading south, players are looking for a massive structure of lava and smoke, this being the Volcano (613, 218) readily visible from the shore that direction. Climbing the volcano, there was a temple of sorts with a single space hole in to which you had to leap. Water softened the landing, letting you access a room with a chest of Lava and this clue:

If you follow the moon
As she exits the sky

Search near where she’s watched
By an enormous eye

There find you a bridge
Twixt mountains on high

Take care when you fall,
Or else you may die.

The moon exits the sky to the west, so players were encouraged to head that direction. By proceeding in a westward direction, they would find a large sculpture of an eye floating above a hill in the desert, with a hole through it that the moon would visibly pass through while setting. Looking between the two tallest peaks nearby, there was a Wood Bridge (70, 697) with a hanging platform beneath it. On the platform was a chest containing Tall Grass. The only safe exit was to leap in to the pool of water below. The clue was:

To South and to West
So far you’ve all ran

Time to revist
The place you began

The isle holds secrets
Under the sand

Search in the places
Where water meets land.

If following the clues in order, players have only travelled south and west so far in this half. Revisiting the place you began means to return to spawn. The spawn island is made of sand, and there was a secret room accessed by a hole along the coastline, leading to the Lever Room (75, 23). A dummy chest with the notice “something isn’t right here” is surrounded by levers set in to the walls. Seven of the levers do nothing, while the 8th opens a secret door to the real chest, and plays the “Secret Found” jingle from the Zelda games. The chest contained Portal blocks and the clue:

Though you’ve seen it before
Ignore it you might,

For the next item is
Hiding in our plain sight.

Supporting the tracks
As they traverse the sea,

It boasts proudly of
Near-invincibility

Something any player on this half will have seen before is the Obsidian Pillar (330, 46) supporting the end of the southern rail track. The track extended immediately across the sea, and unlike the others, never came near land, ending floating in space, with a ladder down to some boats. Made of Obsidian, it is near invincible. Also, the base of the pillar, underwater, had an entrance in to a small chamber. That chamber contained a chest with Bedrock and this hint:

To heed advice
In days of old

Young men went here
In search of gold

Where fire from below
Meets fire of the sky

Near sulpherous odors
That make noses shy.

The directional clues are meant to send people out west, based both upon the famous gold rushes being to the west, and also upon the famous accompanying phrase “Go west, young man.” Fire from below suggests lava, while the fire of the sky is the sun. Where lava and sunshine meet is a Surface Lava Pool (25, 328). To emphasize this and keep people looking close to the pool, the sulpherous odors part is added. A ladder hidden behind a tree (notice a theme?) descends to a hallway that leads under the pool, where a room has a chest of Fire and these words:

Your quest by now
is getting long

Notify your admin
and return to spawn

This half the hunt
is at its end

Towards other tasks
You must now wend.

Just like what’s listed in the other half, this is exactly what it says. One half the items have been recovered, and it’s time to notify your team’s judge and return to spawn to be given the first clue of the other half (or to turn in all your items, if this was your second half)

Return to Spawn

---------------------

Ok, so that’s the event! If you have questions, comments, rage, etc, just let me know! Hope everybody enjoyed it, even the parts that had us all tearing out our hair :-P
-Boss Llama

THE Flying chihuahua
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Villympics Minecraft Event - Riddle Reveal

Post by THE Flying chihuahua » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:02 am

I surprised I decoded some of the clues so well.

Flash
Site Admin
Site Admin
Minecraft name: FlashTVR

Games Played

Ville Awards

Snooze

Post by Flash » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:39 am

Nicely done Alizee!

What I find so amazing is how out of order we got!

BB solved what should have been our 5th clue to finish the first half as the very last one to complete our quest.

I'm hoping to get to run through them all in a day or two so I can see them first hand, hopefully nobody will go in and mess with the structures.

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:38 am

Hehe, both teams ended up out of order, either by splitting up and following different leads, or by wandering in to a clue from a different half, and picking up at that location.

I believe BB's order was 1 2 3 10 6 4 7 8 9 5 and FU's was 1 6 7 8 9 10 2 3 4 5 (based on their respective orders).
-Boss Llama

KRG
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by KRG » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:34 am

I could hear you wildly typing away with T in the background the entire time AF. :lol:

I would imagine both you and T have sore tongues today after all the biting last night. haha
I have a butt and you do too. Let's be friends.

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:57 am

Indeed! Hahaha.

For those interested in exploring the world while it's still up, I've placed a chest at spawn with some armor and such to use. Please just return what's left when you're done, so others can use it too!
-Boss Llama

TTHREAZ
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by TTHREAZ » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:04 am

KRG wrote:I could hear you wildly typing away with T in the background the entire time AF. :lol:

I would imagine both you and T have sore tongues today after all the biting last night. haha

You have no idea. :lol:

zookie
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by zookie » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:07 am

Awesome job with the clues and the trolling rooms! I think I fell for quite a few of them. I would love to do it again, though! Next time earlier so my brain can function properly.

MateoTheBold!
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by MateoTheBold! » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:28 am

The Zelda chime was an excellent touch. A lot of cool features in this world.

If you didn't scavenge last night, make sure to hop on and check out the MC server and scope out these cool creations!

Warpath Cup- FU-2011, FAIL 2012
Villeympics- BB 2011, USAHB 2012
Ville Cup- HK 2011, SNES 2012, :TIME: 2013, CTB 2014

tsmitho
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by tsmitho » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:12 pm

glad i wasnt in this challenge. I would have epic failed and just wandered around till i found everything

| AMD Phenom 9950 Black Edition | ATI 5830 | 4GB Corsair Dominator PC6400 | ASUS Board | Liquid Cooled |

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:35 am

For those who requested a copy of the map file, Dog has been kind enough to post it for us:

http://www.theville.org/forums/viewtopi ... 93&t=20066
-Boss Llama