Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:04 am

[quote="jim beam";p="185394"]Cause it makes it fun its like real boxing
you never know when that knock out punch will come[/quote]

Except that in boxing, the ability to throw that punch has to do with the skill and training of the person doing it. In TF2, it's just an RNG.

I'm not in melee mania or anything, but crits are the least-fun mechanic in the entire game.
-Boss Llama

Aez
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Aez » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:17 am

[quote="Alizée Fan";p="185897"][quote="jim beam";p="185394"]Cause it makes it fun its like real boxing
you never know when that knock out punch will come[/quote]

Except that in boxing, the ability to throw that punch has to do with the skill and training of the person doing it. In TF2, it's just an RNG.

I'm not in melee mania or anything, but crits are the least-fun mechanic in the entire game.[/quote]
Eh, I'd say that's not the case in meleemania. Many of the competitors are good enough to hit the other player each time (especially with the slower classes), so you'll see a sequence of punches and retaliations. Rather than the matches being decided by whoever delivers the last hit first, instead crits really shake things up. It'd be pretty boring without crits...

Of course, for scouts and possibly other fast classes, that probably isn't the case, but I stand by my point.

Masakari
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Masakari » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:57 am

Honestly, if we remove crits, it turns into SERIUS BUIZNESS because it then does become a competition focused entirely on skill.

This is intended as a fun event. The fun is watching the fights, theme songs, shenanigans between fights, annoying jim, etc. I mean, look at me - I'm the losingest player in MM history (YES I SAID THAT CHEF), and I still happily sign up pretty much every month to be the guy who always gets killed first in the horror movies. :P
I am the 1%!

abiscuit
Server Admin
Server Admin
Blizzard tag: altabiscuit#1164

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: August MeleeMania Poll

Post by abiscuit » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:39 am

Voting ends in less than 24 hours!

Dirty Dan
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Dirty Dan » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:24 am

[quote="Masakari";p="185927"]Honestly, if we remove crits, it turns into SERIUS BUIZNESS because it then does become a competition focused entirely on skill.

This is intended as a fun event. The fun is watching the fights, theme songs, shenanigans between fights, annoying jim, etc. I mean, look at me - I'm the losingest player in MM history (YES I SAID THAT CHEF), and I still happily sign up pretty much every month to be the guy who always gets killed first in the horror movies. :P[/quote]

I second this. It levels the playing field and makes it a little crazy.

Guardian
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Guardian » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:25 am

hey if it isn't serious business then why wasn't I allowed to:

Stun people
Throw jarate at people
have tauntkill battles
Annoy admins
Jump on people's heads and taunt.

Still Masakari, crits aren't the only random mechanic in the game. There is still random damage (it's on all the time and with it on I believe you have die anywhere from 2-4 melee hits on most classes) and lag compensation + ping issues. Not to mention all the random rules you threw in.

Crits are just most annoying one... >.< (dieing in one hit)
Last edited by Guardian on Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gizanked
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Gizanked » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:36 am

[quote="Guardian";p="185968"]hey if it isn't serious business then why wasn't I allowed to:

Stun people
Throw jarate at people
have tauntkill battles
Annoy admins

Still Masakari, crits aren't the only random mechanic in the game. There is still random damage and lag compensation + ping issues. Not to mention all the random rules you threw in.

Crits are just most annoying one... >.<[/quote]

because other people want to watch what is going on, and its always good to get it finished in a reasonable amount of time.
http://www.tf2items.com/id/evagizanked
the artist formerly known as Replica

Guardian
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Guardian » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:37 am

[quote="Gizanked";p="185969"][quote="Guardian";p="185968"]hey if it isn't serious business then why wasn't I allowed to:

Stun people
Throw jarate at people
have tauntkill battles
Annoy admins

Still Masakari, crits aren't the only random mechanic in the game. There is still random damage and lag compensation + ping issues. Not to mention all the random rules you threw in.

Crits are just most annoying one... >.<[/quote]

because other people want to watch what is going on, and its always good to get it finished in a reasonable amount of time.[/quote]

You can still watch it while I stun you and jarate you......

Masakari
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Masakari » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:38 am

Da Rulez wrote:Fighting at ringside is discouraged. It is distracting to the competitors and those who are watching or recording the matches.
Because you were doing them DURING the matches, as well as continuing to do it after you had been REPEATEDLY asked not too. Whine all you want, but using jarate/sandman is still fighting.
I am the 1%!

Guardian
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Guardian » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:41 am

[quote="Masakari";p="185971"]
Da Rulez wrote:Fighting at ringside is discouraged. It is distracting to the competitors and those who are watching or recording the matches.
Because you were doing them DURING the matches, as well as continuing to do it after you had been REPEATEDLY asked not too. Whine all you want, but using jarate/sandman is still fighting.[/quote]]

BUT WAIT IT SAYS DISCOURAGED.... muahhhaaa I found an evil loop.... heh...

ok fine you win...

There's no rule saying you may not give the people in the stands lemonade.

Masakari
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Masakari » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:45 am

I don't know what kind of point you're trying to prove with this argument - you were distracting people in the stands, and you don't want to own up to it. The way I see it, you're options for the next one are either participate and limit stuff like that to before the matches start and at other designated times, or you can simply go somewhere else if you don't want to follow the rules.

But back on topic, I feel sad that no one's voting for medic.
I am the 1%!

abiscuit
Server Admin
Server Admin
Blizzard tag: altabiscuit#1164

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: August MeleeMania Poll

Post by abiscuit » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:51 am

The point is, all Ville rules apply along with the MeleeMania rules that you agree to when you sign up and/or spectate. This should be very simple. Things got a little out of hand this time in the stands, but that's not going to happen again. You will be kicked if you disrupt the event, and if it continues then a temporary ban is not out of the question.

MasterChef
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by MasterChef » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:53 am

[quote="Masakari";p="185927"] I'm the losingest player in MM history (YES I SAID THAT CHEF)[/quote]

Lies! We proved in battle that I can't even lose on purpose. Therefore that makes me the biggest loser.

I had started to type out my thoughts on crits but figured I may as well stop. It didn't change last year so I doubt it will be changed this year. I don't like crits in MM but I can live with them.

Masakari
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Masakari » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:07 pm

[quote="MasterChef";p="185975"]
[quote="Masakari";p="185927"] I'm the losingest player in MM history (YES I SAID THAT CHEF)[/quote]

Lies! We proved in battle that I can't even lose on purpose. Therefore that makes me the biggest loser.[/quote]Well, you've made it into the semi(?)-finals, so I hardly consider that worthy of losingest player. Only thing I've ever won is a mulligan in this one (Which didn't even help me!)

Regardless, I imagine that if you and I are ever in a MM together, HAL will be evil and put us against each other.
I am the 1%!