state of version 1.3

A forum dedicated to the Day of Defeat Mod
Qurple
New Villun
New Villun

state of version 1.3

Post by Qurple » Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:42 pm

So I just started playing dod again after a 4-5 year hiatus. I've noticed that all the servers are now either bot servers or custom maps. I've started playing on TheVille because it's the only server I can find with classic maps and a fair number of real people playing. So is this game on the brink of death or what? I don't really want to switch to custom maps cuz I don't wanna spend the time to download them all and I like the old ones fine. I've thought about source, but I haven't heard great things about it, seems like better graphics is all you get. I don't wanna upgrade the crap out of my comp to get source to run as silky smooth as 1.3 does.

So what's up? Are there other servers out there with classic maps, real people, and no retarded mods? Are there other dod-esque games out there now that are more popular (i.e. simple, non-graphics intensive fps games)?

Kudos on the server, btw, it's the best one I've found by far.
[url=http://theville.hlstatsx.com/hlstats.php]
[img]http://theville.hlstatsx.com/hlstats.php/sig/146709_random.png[/img]
[/url]

Lemming808
Villun
Villun

Re: state of version 1.3

Post by Lemming808 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:59 pm

Aloha Qurple,

TheVille has a few customs they run, but there is a link that you can dl the maps from if you want. I've found alot of the servers are highspeed nowdays so the map DLs go fairly quick. As far as other servers....why go anywhere else? TheVille usually has live people in it, and if not just lurk for a bit and they will come. I used to go server surfing too when the bots got irritating, but lots of the other servers have immature kids, racist bigots, or wannabe gangstas cussing it up...or just plain llamas...well being llamas.

TV has a fairly mature population, and I have only seen maybe 2-3 hackers since I've been playing here, and if anything gets out of hand...I just record a demo and take a condump and report them to the ban page or let sarge know and they take care of things quickly.

As far as brink of death...I like it the way it is now...I find the newer mods take most of the llamas and leave the old regular mature players for DoD..which suits me fine. I've found in my old age I don't put up with the knuckleheads to well. Plus DoD runs so smoothly, I wouldn't exchange smooth FPS for eyecandy.

Anyway...see ya in game Qurple.
Lem