Thorn
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Warpath game flow

Post by Thorn » Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:02 pm

I have been playing a significant amount of warpath lately, not because of how much I like the map, but more because of the players who go there often, some really fun coordination and team play.

Anyways, I have noticed a trend for the flow of the game, and for me this graph pretty much sums up my performance:

ImageImage

I do really well during the first 5 mins or so, like... really really well. And then all of the sudden I hit a brick wall and just get massively obliterated. I bet for alot of you guys out there, you have the opposite experience, since most of you are the ones that obliterate me rofl

Infusions
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Infusions » Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:35 pm

That's mostly because the first 5 minutes of Warpath are the most hetic, since both teams are fighting over the middle point. Once one of those teams caps it and gets up a sentry though, the other team is sent back to their second point where repeating a strategy over and over again is your only option.

It's kinda like Capture the Flag maps. The first minute when both intel rooms are clear of defense, the other team will usually rush in to get the intel as many times as possible before they set up. But once that engineer gets his sentry up, everything pretty much goes to a sudden hault and not much activity will happen until an uber or two builds up.
[url=http://lolschach.blogspot.com/][img]http://g.imagehost.org/0572/LOL_6.png[/img][/url]

PhantomFighter
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Warpath game flow

Post by PhantomFighter » Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:46 pm

From my observation, you play a lot of scout. Scouts rule the early game on warpath when things are wide open. But as soon as the middle point gets decided and the teams get entrenched, it becomes much harder to scout. This is also why when teams are small (i.e. 5 players) and a team goes primarily scout it kills the server. There aren't enough players to get entrenched and the scouts literally just walk over any opposition, so anyone who doesn't want to play scout ends up leaving.

Perhaps it's the entrenchment that makes the map so enjoyable for the reason you mentioned -- individual performance tends to be diminished in later game (save for the infamous spy-cap on the last point) and coordinated teamwork is required to make any advancement.

I've seen you go spy in the mid-game as well. It could just be my perception, but it seems that the players who frequent Warpath are just spy-aware to the point of being paranoid. Yahoo and FUSE are primarily to blame for that state of affairs :P.

Araris
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Loading…

Post by Araris » Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:58 pm

I just like going spy to be stupid, nothing hurts my kdr more, although I do like giving engies a good sapping.

TheCarpe
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Warpath game flow

Post by TheCarpe » Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:20 pm

[quote="PhantomFighter";p="132754"]Perhaps it's the entrenchment that makes the map so enjoyable for the reason you mentioned -- individual performance tends to be diminished in later game (save for the infamous spy-cap on the last point) and coordinated teamwork is required to make any advancement.[/quote]

This.

Yes, Warpath is all about teamwork. An uncoordinated team will never move forward, two uncoordinated teams will barely move an inch either direction. But nothing beats being backed against the wall to your last point and fighting tooth and nail all the way back to the opposing point and winning. Every class has it's particular place and role at every stage of the map, even those god-awful Scouts (I swear Thorn, you made me want to punch a baby today when you kept popping out of nowhere and shoving your scattergun down my throat).

Fun: Go spy during stalemates, especially if the bottom tunnels are open. Gun exclusively for the Engineers. Kill them, you kill their gear. More often than not, stalemates on WP end up as tiny teams of Engi's and Medic's that are too timid to try and move up.
Heck's Kitchen - TVC'08 & '11 ** The Axecutioners - TVC'09 ** Hale's Angels - TVC'10 ** CCCP - TVC'12 ** Ville Cuppin' Cakes - TVC'13 ** TheCarpetbaggers - TVC'14 CHAMPIONS

Grapedrink
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Grapedrink » Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:59 pm

it's because you play scout
[img]http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g190/johnnyalpha/3b-z.jpg[/img]
[img]http://boff.clanservers.com/stuff/moobs_grapedrink.gif[/img]

Thorn
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Thorn » Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:33 pm

all valid points really. when the sentries go up, and it goes into entrenched warfare, I get rolled. I know I would serve the team much better as a demo, but I am not that good at demo and I don't want to be another nade spamming grub (not to slight any of the truly good demos at there, I just suck lol)

I try to invent rolls for myself, like, running back behind the other team and continually killing teleporters, or spam-shoot sentries with my pistol....

the other thing I can do is play defensive scout and hold certain intermediate positions, like the ridge. I am just not a defensive kind of guy and I feel like I could be more helpful spamming nades down the tunnel...... something is wrong with that, and I try to force myself to "be useful".

I think I need to find myself a third class. Spy and scout are def my meat and potatoes, but on warpath, entrenched warfare + spy savy opposition pretty much means I turn into a suicide doll.

I was playing earlier today, and was doing really well with scout throughout, but that is only because the other team only had 1 engie, and couldn't get his stuff up ever.
More often than not, stalemates on WP end up as tiny teams of Engi's and Medic's that are too timid to try and move up.
Oh man, this drives me insane... where is that baby?

mr_s
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by mr_s » Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:24 am

[quote="PhantomFighter";p="132754"]
coordinated teamwork is required to make any advancement.

[/quote]

I CANNOT stress enough how important this is.

when i and a medic rush in with uber and find there is no one to back us up, its disappointing frankly.

no, i dont really feel that way.

if I play for prologued hours yes it feel that way