Does anyone even like the Engineer?

A forum dedicated to Team Fortress 2
Infusions
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Does anyone even like the Engineer?

Post by Infusions » Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:40 am

I've noticed that most people's favorite played class is either Demoman, Pyro, or Soldier, or Sniper.

Does anyone here actually enjoy playing as the Engineer?

I mean, sometimes on the servers (Or just "a" server. TV4) I'll notice we suddenly have no engineers and go on my mic "Anyone willing to go Engineer?". Do most people only play Engineer because they truly have to, not because they like it?

I have to admit, I've played Engineer only because we had none and I really didn't like it at all.

MasterChef
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by MasterChef » Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:58 am

I don't really play engineer a lot, because I suck at it, but I normally have a good time when I do play it.

Rigges
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Rigges » Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:05 am

I will play Engie on a few maps that I like to do that and some times when there are to many Heavies and too many Pyros and scout is not the Ideal player for that particular map and time.

When I do play Engie I enjoy it so what ever

Rigges
Yes I am the one who Shot the Smiley Face Target for the Lethal Weapon Movie
RIP Winnie White Sister In-law 1952 - April 22 2010 58
Norma L. White Mother 20 Dec 1930 to 27 Aug 2011 81

Lucille C. Brueshaber Mother In Law 11 July 1922 to 13 Dec 2011 89
Mrs Rigges is very sad

mr_s
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by mr_s » Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:34 am

[quote="Infusions";p="125225"]
I've noticed that most people's favorite played class is either Demoman, Pyro, or Soldier, or Sniper.

Does anyone here actually enjoy playing as the Engineer?

I mean, sometimes on the servers (Or just "a" server. TV4) I'll notice we suddenly have no engineers and go on my mic "Anyone willing to go Engineer?". Do most people only play Engineer because they truly have to, not because they like it?

I have to admit, I've played Engineer only because we had none and I really didn't like it at all.
[/quote]

i hate playing engy when there are 6 spys about and no piros to defend my stuff.

also it is enjoyable provided u find teh perfect spot for an sg

gd [good day]

Flobee
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Re: Does anyone even like the Engineer?

Post by Flobee » Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:49 am

Yes, I actually like the Engineer.

I have incredible patience when it comes to playing Engineer. I can just sit there doing nothing but wacking a sentry the entire round as the rest of my team file through my teleporters, and I will not get bored.

For a long while, Engineer was my favourite class. Now I've branched out and have like 5 "favourite classes", which is why I've been playing him less and less.

But should the need ever arise, I'll gladly throw on my hardhat and pull out the old wrench.

That is, if I'm not too absorbed in sending bullets through peoples heads/lighting people on fire/keeping my team alive/blowing people up with rocket fire.
where doing this man.
where MAKING THIS HAPEN.

Mad-Hammer
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Mad-Hammer » Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:51 am

I like engie but, it's kind of a thankless job. Someone is always yelling at you. "I need a teleport here", "I need a dispenser here", "Move Up!!!".

"Hey, I just got this thing level 3, what do ya mean move up.......you move up. Well, I'll build a teleport there, just as soon as somebody goes back and kills that spy who keeps destroying my entrance. Dispenser...........you'll get a dispenser as soon as I get some metal.......oh yeah.......well dispense this!!!"
Image[/center]

Hobnail Sneakers
Villun
Villun

Post by Hobnail Sneakers » Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:09 am

Engie's my third most played class for a reason. There's something exhilarating about trying to keep your nest up when faced with an Ubered Demoman or Pyro. Or furiously trying to rebuild before the second wave reaches you.

Plus, Engineer is great for having a couple of relaxing rounds. Love the Hardhat. DO YOU HEAR ME!? LOVE IT!!!
[img]http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee68/Gillacatan/Hobs_Cube.jpg[/img]

itchy
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by itchy » Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:52 am

I enjoy trying to play an offensive engy, not so much defensive.
[img]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3566/3304587268_69e66ce816_o.png[/img]
[size=67][url=http://www.theville.org/viewtopic.php?t=11702]I've been found out![/url][/size]

Reipin
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Reipin » Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:57 am

I love playing offensive engineer. Heavy, obviously, is one of my favorite classes provided I have a medic. It's one of the classes I can turn to when my team isn't doing so well and feel like playing this class I can change the course of the game. For that reason, I play him less then normal now (Hey I play a ton less too though so yeah) and I have moved towards offensive engineer.

I find it fun as hell to try to get your sentry up in the weirdest places to kill unsuspecting people and such. and to hold normally unholdable areas. My favorite part though is when I kill people with the shotgun, cause you just died to a shotgun while using a rocket launcher or a flame thrower or a minigun, and that's just funny. WOOOOOHA!
[img]http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g190/johnnyalpha/tvctf208.png[/img]
[url=http://theville.hlstatsx.com/hlstats.php][img]http://theville.hlstatsx.com/hlstats.php/sig/16400_random.png[/img]
[/url]

Thom Yorke Obliterator
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Ville Awards

Post by Thom Yorke Obliterator » Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:47 am

Offensive Engie is a blast, and it's more useful than people give it credit for. You can also get a lot more kills on offense. Everyone is wary of the defensive positions, and won't come near you without an uber.

The best thing about Engie is when it gets really hectic. You have four things to build/maintain, spies to watch for, and you can still go pick a fight when you want. That's a lot of stuff!
"After completing a trek of Kilimanjaro in 2009, Ronan Keating was asked by an interviewer which celebrity he would most like to throw off a mountain. Keating named Yorke, and referred to him as a "muppet," stating that Yorke was once rude to him." - from Wikipedia

abiscuit
Server Admin
Server Admin
Blizzard tag: altabiscuit#1164

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by abiscuit » Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:07 am

Engineer has the best taunt in the world.

I enjoy playing Engineer on 5-point maps because there's more strategy and risk involved, plus the random surprise sentries are much more effective on these maps. Attack/Defense maps are more boring for me. You essentially have a set number of proven sentry locations to deny access to the control point and don't have much outside of that, however, Gravel Pit is an exception to that without the help of another Engineer.

On another note, Engineers that sit by their sentry for the entire round and do nothing but whack their sentry annoy me to no end. I mean, yes there are situations where tanking your sentry is needed, but when a Demo for example is trying to edge your sentry with stickies you don't just sit there and blow up. You go after them and try to stop them.

Guardian
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Guardian » Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:53 am

I like the engy, he isn't my favorite but he's ok.

Nuckin
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Ville Awards

Post by Nuckin » Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:01 am

I enjoy all classes except for spy.. I am not one that likes to hide on maps..
[Teamwork Respect Fun]

LJ
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by LJ » Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:32 am

Engineer was my favourite tfc class
Engineer is my favourite tf2 class.

three_gunn
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by three_gunn » Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:35 am

[quote="Nuckin";p="125287"]I enjoy all classes except for spy.. I am not one that likes to hide on maps..[/quote]

agreed.

i love playing engie. especially when surrounded by a crew of engies that know the map and the strats involved. if you have a love for RTS games then an engie is as close as you can get to it in a FPS game.

[quote="LJ";p="125294"]Engineer was my favourite tfc class
Engineer is my favourite tf2 class.[/quote]

i miss well placed emp throws...