Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Any chance of a stat reset ?

Post by TheCarpe » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:21 pm

Nononono! I just GOT to five-star general!! I have TWO PAGES of Awards :cry:

Though I know stats aren't everything. I don't really get caught up in them, though I enjoy striving for the daily awards.
Heck's Kitchen - TVC'08 & '11 ** The Axecutioners - TVC'09 ** Hale's Angels - TVC'10 ** CCCP - TVC'12 ** Ville Cuppin' Cakes - TVC'13 ** TheCarpetbaggers - TVC'14 CHAMPIONS

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Boss Llama » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:26 pm

[quote="Kjeldorian Royal Guard 42";p="108188"]No no no no no!

Malkazar is going for 13,000 deaths. He's almost to 12,000. You touch those stats and there will be body cavity searches for all!!!

And I won't use gelly.[/quote]

Bwah ha ha, Malkazar can not hope to rival my rate of death! His paltry .73 deaths per minute pales in comparison to my .99! Even Carpe, the only other person in the Top 15 Most Deaths with single digit days played, only achieves .93 dpm. The fact that Malk willingly gives so much of his time to being an Engineer, instead of remaining loyal to the Pyro as I do, prevents the futility of his lives from being absolute. I AM THE CHAMPION! HAHAHAHAHA!
Last edited by Boss Llama on Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Boss Llama

Masakari
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Masakari » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:31 pm

Yeah, daily awards are about all I ever play for anymore.

My proudest accomplishment: Getting the awards for most Axtinguisher kills and the most flamethrower kills. :D
I am the 1%!

EzCrash
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by EzCrash » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:31 pm

A stat wipe at some point is inevitable isn't it ?

You can still go after daily awards even after stats are wiped clean.

And you can still die a lot after stats are wiped clean. By the way, why 13,000 deaths ? Why is 13k a magic number ? Just curious.
[img=left]http://www.thevilleregulars.org/tvc08/s8logo2008_05.jpg[/img]
[img=right]http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g190/johnnyalpha/Soldier-Sig2.gif[/img]

EzCrash
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by EzCrash » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:33 pm

I would assume that people play for daily awards so much because the overall stats are pretty much set and very little movement happens with such huge numbers. Right ?
[img=right]http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g190/johnnyalpha/Soldier-Sig2.gif[/img]

EzCrash
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by EzCrash » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:40 pm

Is it possible to do a global stat reset while maintaining individual player daily awards ?

TheCarpe
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by TheCarpe » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:42 pm

Actually, stats fall off after 21 days. You kill someone with a rocket, in 22 days that kill will not be registered in your weapon stats. It will record the kill, but the number added to your rocket count has an expiration date. In that way, your numbers fluctuate a lot. You have a good day, and three weeks later it looks like your kills too a dive.

But for me, I just think they're fun to get. I could care less about KDR, rank, etc. I just like looking at my totals and getting the awards. Everybody needs something to play for, right?

Oh, and Masa?

2008-07-04 Rocket Deflector 3 rockets deflected.
2008-07-04 Pipe Deflector 2 pipes deflected.
2008-07-04 Axtinguisher 35 kills with axtinguisher.
2008-07-04 Follower of the Axe 35 kills with fireaxe.

:D
Heck's Kitchen - TVC'08 & '11 ** The Axecutioners - TVC'09 ** Hale's Angels - TVC'10 ** CCCP - TVC'12 ** Ville Cuppin' Cakes - TVC'13 ** TheCarpetbaggers - TVC'14 CHAMPIONS

TheCarpe
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by TheCarpe » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:42 pm

[quote="EzCrash";p="108218"]Is it possible to do a global stat reset while maintaining individual player daily awards ?[/quote]

I asked last reset, and sadly no :(

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Boss Llama » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:34 am

[quote="EzCrash";p="108213"]I would assume that people play for daily awards so much because the overall stats are pretty much set and very little movement happens with such huge numbers. Right ?[/quote]

There's quite a bit of movement within general areas, anybody willing to play for it can move up easily enough. Two weeks ago I was somewhere around 40th place. Currently, I'm 26th. If I stop playing for a couple days, I'll slip back to the mid 30s. The higher you go, the harder it is to get points. People low on the list get way more points for most kills they get, and lose fewer for most deaths. I'm not necessarily opposed to clearing the stats, I just don't think it will serve much purpose. With the exception of a couple inactive folks who are rapidly slipping anyway, people at the top of the list will show up on top again within days, and it will be pretty much the same list again, just with smaller numbers next to their names. ::shrug::

The last two times they reset the list, it seemed mostly due to the fact that they changed the scoring system, so previous scores were invalid. Two systems ago I'd be lower, last system I'd be higher, this system I am where I am. Unless the system changes again...
-Boss Llama

Nick Mame
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Nick Mame » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:48 am

The statistics will remain for the most part identical except for a few people who are several days played behind because they didn't start until sometime after the last reset. It might be easy for a 5d player at #90 to pass a 6d player at #50, but it takes a lot of effort for a 0d player to get all the way up there.

You could also consider the growth of players' skill since the last reset or changes in their playing style. I started off as a full-time medic who later switched to soldier, which as a result severely deflated my KPD after numerous teammates neglected their poor doctor. The present statistics don't accurately represent the player I am today. A reset every now and then is good for cleaning the record and letting a player show how they fair on the charts with their new skills, as opposed to how they played several months back.

It might not change much, but it's nice to clean up every now and then so you can see where things stand as of today (or some day more recent then several months ago).

EzCrash
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by EzCrash » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:37 am

Thank you , Nick.

Eloquently said. I couldn't ( and didn't ) say it better myself. :wink:

So Uncivilized
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by So Uncivilized » Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:23 am

Yeah I hate stats.

Someone named in this very thread was playing a week or so ago and would not change off of sniper because other people get too many points for killing said player.

SU

Sickmeat
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Sickmeat » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:01 am

I remember during the last stats cycle before this one, there was no death penalty. And the one before that, it was set to max death penalty. I think this round they had the minimum death penalty.

Any thoughts as to what the next death penalty will be? I remember during max penalty, the engineers would usually top the stat rankings. This current cycle works well imo, but I wouldn't mind seeing a slight increase just to shake things up a bit.
:D

Masakari
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Masakari » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:23 am

[quote="TheCarpe";p="108219"]
Oh, and Masa?

2008-07-04 Rocket Deflector 3 rockets deflected.
2008-07-04 Pipe Deflector 2 pipes deflected.
2008-07-04 Axtinguisher 35 kills with axtinguisher.
2008-07-04 Follower of the Axe 35 kills with fireaxe.[/quote]Quiet, you! It's impressive for me, considering I'm usually a fatty.

Don't make me bring out my anti-Steel hat again!
I am the 1%!

Plinko
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Plinko » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:42 am

As a player with considerably lesser time invested and who frequents TV VII and X, I find even the minimal death penalty very rough - mainly that I rarely see players from the top 50, but hundreds who have under 2000 points - so I have to manage 2:1 or better KPD to stay afloat short of bonuses now. If I go play in the customs server, I can gain a ton of points even if I can only manage 1:4 because I'll actually see players with a skill over 20,000.

As for posterity, can the old stats (maybe just some numbers on the top 50 and total weapon/map statstics and awards) be pulled into a spreadsheet and kept on hand in an archive?
"I made all my gold into pants" - Ignatius