Retired Admin
Minecraft name: Supreveio
Blizzard tag: Supreveio#1728

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: TF2 Screenies?

Post by Supreveio » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:29 pm

Ian_Suffix wrote:The wiki has its origins pinned on Superman, although I have my doubts. What's the joke with the Waffen-SS ranks? The closest thing I could find was "Obersturmführer," which doesn't seem all that applicable, either.
Yeah, I don't really get the reference either. Considering all the other cosmetic items for Medic that were released at the same time as that one, I thought it was just a bunch of words put together to make something vaguely German-sounding but obviously isn't.

For the record, the other items that share a naming theme with Das Ubersternmann are:

- Das Hazmattenhatten (Hazmat helmet, "Hazmat hat")
- Das Naggenvatcher (World War 1 helmet, "watches over your noggin" so you don't get shot in the head.)
- Das Maddendoktor ("Mad doctor" hair with goggles)
- Das Gutenkutteharen (A "good haircut")
- Das Feelinbeterbager (Belt satchels, presumably filled with medicine. Making them a "bag that makes you feel better")
- Das Metalmeatencasen (World War 1 body armor. It's "metal that encases your torso 'meat'.")
- Das Fantzipantzen (Dress shirt/tie. Makes the Medic looks like a "fancy-pants")

In this case, "Ubersternmann" presumably means that the hat makes the Medic look like a very strict/serious ("Uber Stern") man(n).
"So what have you been up to, man? Haven't seen you in so long!"
"Ah, you know how it is. Doin' a lot of side projects, some consulting, maybe a little freelance... Those are words that people say when they haven't actually been doing anything, right?"

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:48 am

Ian_Suffix wrote:The wiki has its origins pinned on Superman, although I have my doubts. What's the joke with the Waffen-SS ranks? The closest thing I could find was "Obersturmführer," which doesn't seem all that applicable, either.
I read it as a combination of the two ranks Sturmmann and Obersturmführer, with modifications (as Valve frequently does) to make it readable/sensible to their players. Maybe I'm being paranoid and weird, but I don't see anything in it related to Superman, except perhaps that Clark Kent occasionally wore a vaguely similar hat (as did almost every man in that era). The Nazi connection was the first thing that sprang to my mind when I saw the name, and it was an instantaneous thing - there are other aspects that lead down that path as well. Heck, it was submitted as the "Secret State Surgeon;" a name which has much to connect it with authoritarian regimes, and little with comic books. Besides, Superman is not (so far as I can tell) called Das Ubersternmann ("the great star man") in German - he's called Superman. Super means the same in both languages. MMX? Am I being crazy?

Valve hasn't exactly shied away from such references either. They just released a priest's vestment for the medic called the "Angel of Death." The only medical connection to that term I'm aware of is that it was the nickname of the notorious Waffen-SS doctor Joseph Mengele (to whom many comparisons of the medic have been made). I'm aware that I can be on the sensitive side when it comes to such references, but there's a point where I stop believing in coincidences or accidents.
-Boss Llama

Daryldime
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Daryldime » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:34 pm

"So your medic is an ex-SS supporter, and other stories"

Its my working title of my next book. Copyrights are in my name

all seriousness though, I get where you are coming from Al, but I tend to just overlook it.
Warpath Cup 2011 Spy for Hades Babies - 2nd Place
Warpath Cup 2012 Spy for Inner Children Unleashed - Champions

Zork Nemesis
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Zork Nemesis » Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:28 pm

This hat was introduced in the recent summer update where they had the characters themselves describe them. For all we know, the joke on the Medic hats was as Superveio said and that all of the names and descriptions are just poking fun at engrish.

This is hard to be cool and suave while being informative at the same time. Goddamn my coolness.
In my experience, common sense isn't too common.

Ian_Suffix
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Ian_Suffix » Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:24 pm

Oh snap, I didn't realize that "sturmmann," "stormtrooper" was a rank-- I was only looking through the SS ranks. That seems a whole lot more likely than any Superman silliness.

Rigges
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Rigges » Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:41 pm

Alizée Fan wrote:
I read it as a combination of the two ranks Sturmmann and Obersturmführer, with modifications (as Valve frequently does) to make it readable/sensible to their players. Maybe I'm being paranoid and weird, but I don't see anything in it related to Superman, except perhaps that Clark Kent occasionally wore a vaguely similar hat (as did almost every man in that era). The Nazi connection was the first thing that sprang to my mind when I saw the name, and it was an instantaneous thing - there are other aspects that lead down that path as well. Heck, it was submitted as the "Secret State Surgeon;" a name which has much to connect it with authoritarian regimes, and little with comic books. Besides, Superman is not (so far as I can tell) called Das Ubersternmann ("the great star man") in German - he's called Superman. Super means the same in both languages. MMX? Am I being crazy?

Valve hasn't exactly shied away from such references either. They just released a priest's vestment for the medic called the "Angel of Death." The only medical connection to that term I'm aware of is that it was the nickname of the notorious Waffen-SS doctor Joseph Mengele (to whom many comparisons of the medic have been made). I'm aware that I can be on the sensitive side when it comes to such references, but there's a point where I stop believing in coincidences or accidents.

No I don't think you're Crazy I think you're very right on but also this story TF2 stars around WW2 also (Cue Scary background music ) Waffen SS yep no coincidence there and Not sure that its good and wholesome either because isn't that putting some kind of praise on an evile azz Hat that would kill our Goats BTW do we have any Goats left???????????

-----------
Yes I am the one who Shot the Smiley Face Target for the Lethal Weapon Movie
RIP Winnie White Sister In-law 1952 - April 22 2010 58
Norma L. White Mother 20 Dec 1930 to 27 Aug 2011 81

Lucille C. Brueshaber Mother In Law 11 July 1922 to 13 Dec 2011 89
Mrs Rigges is very sad

Zork Nemesis
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Zork Nemesis » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:56 am

Am I doing good?
VIEW CONTENT:

This is hard to be cool and suave while being informative at the same time. Goddamn my coolness.

Zork Nemesis
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Zork Nemesis » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:58 pm

I see the light......and IT BURNS!

M's
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by M's » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:58 am

This is what happens when Soup likes you.

Zork Nemesis
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Zork Nemesis » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:31 pm

I'm here to ask you one question, and one question only: EXPLOSIONS!?

Gizanked
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Gizanked » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:26 pm

i thought this turned out to be a really good pose by The Fly

http://www.tf2items.com/id/evagizanked
the artist formerly known as Replica

The_Fly
New Villun
New Villun

Games Played

Post by The_Fly » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:13 pm

Not bad Griz. I like his funny facial expressions more though.

Zork Nemesis
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Zork Nemesis » Wed May 28, 2014 7:30 am

This screenshot amuses me and I don't know why.

Zork Nemesis
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Zork Nemesis » Thu May 29, 2014 9:58 pm

This is what TF2 is all about.

Well, at least before the hats came around.

belak
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by belak » Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:14 am

A Random Casualty.