Crashing Issues

A forum dedicated to Team Fortress 2
Araris
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Loading…

Post by Araris » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:06 pm

Valve likes Vista as much as Alizee Fan loves Steam.

GameShaman
Villun
Villun
Loading…

Post by GameShaman » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:04 pm

[quote="mr_s";p="146071"][quote="GameShaman";p="146028"]
[quote="Rits";p="110825"][quote="Zman";p="110764"]
There was something you can download which I didnt do (procrastination at it's best) that will fix that along with a few crashes that happen with the TF2 on Vista if I can find it Ill post it here
[/quote]

That'd be great. I get the same thing with Vista. I usually crash after a few games, mostly when the map changes around the second or third time.[/quote]

Anyone know how to resolve this? I just bought the game about a week ago and have been having the same issue that Rits describes. Every 2 or 3 map changes the game locks up on vista. I have to kill it and launch it again. I've tried several things that I've read in forums, but nothing seems to work. Any idea would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
~Jeff aka GameShaman aka easy points! =)
[/quote]

try putting steam and all its executables in compatability mode with windows xp.

i heard vista can downtrack like xp does with win 98 and below.

i dont have vista, but i do believe this should fix yer problem.

if all in all fails, contact valve support[/quote]

Thanks mr_s, that appears to have done the trick. If I still have issues, I'll come back and let any interested parties know. I had seen this suggestion before, but was hoping to get it to run natively in vista. Since I saw no other suggestions though, I went ahead with it.

Thanks again!

Ra^Groz
Villun
Villun

Re: Crashing Issues

Post by Ra^Groz » Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:19 am

I will be playing a game and my screen turns blue. Says a bunch of stuff then restarts my computer. I can't make out what it says because it restarts too quick. Just started happening lastely. Anyone know why this could be happening?

TheCarpe
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by TheCarpe » Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:34 am

Blue screen of death could be caused by any number of things, but that's probably a Windows issue more than a TF2 issue.
Heck's Kitchen - TVC'08 & '11 ** The Axecutioners - TVC'09 ** Hale's Angels - TVC'10 ** CCCP - TVC'12 ** Ville Cuppin' Cakes - TVC'13 ** TheCarpetbaggers - TVC'14 CHAMPIONS

NoahTheBoa
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by NoahTheBoa » Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:56 pm

I used to get the BSOD a lot a while ago when playing and then it went away all by itself... That's my favorite kind of problem by far...

Ra^Groz
Villun
Villun

Post by Ra^Groz » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:34 pm

Yeah, I know it's windows issues. But it doesn't make sense that it just randomly started and is now doing it more frequently. I don't get it. :/ It only happens during tf2

Flaming Cheese Wheel
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Flaming Cheese Wheel » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:50 am

I'm co-opting the thread a bit to mention the stutter that's been happening after the most recent update. SPUF thread here: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/s ... ?t=1134130

Changing Steam Cloud settings did not help. I'm definitely getting lag when I die (regardless of cause) and it seems to stutter when someone else is gibbed in my area. I suppose I could try disabling the Steam Community in-game app... but what would that mean for my loot gathering?

Some of the rest of you reported this too.

l33tOMGlolz!11!shift
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by l33tOMGlolz!11!shift » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:54 am

I've had some quite annoying audio stutter/lag as shown by this video. Thankfully it doesn't happen as often as this guy has it. Regardless when it does happen you are dead. It's unreal annoying.

I'm posting this hoping that someone has run into this and found a way to fix it. My google-fu has turned up quite an array of "solutions" but they either a) don't apply to my rig or b) don't do anything.

Here's info on my machine. I just built this thing in April so it's completely overspecced for TF2:
Intel i7-930 QuadCore 2.66MHz CPU
Intel X25-M SSD
Win7-x64
6 GB memory
ATI 5870
PCI Express Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium
Asus P6X58D Premium Motherboard

HD speed, and resources are not the problem. The old machine I was playing it on before I built this one runs it flawlessly.

I have tried using the "lower process priority" thing, adjusting some client-side cvars, etc and nothing seems to cure it. Any input from anyone that's seen this?

Thanks!
-OS/2

l33tOMGlolz!11!shift
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by l33tOMGlolz!11!shift » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:57 pm

Well I finally figured it out.

After much testing I was convinced it had something to do with the fact that I was using an SSD. My performance was just fine but despite that whenever it got hung up it was always just trying to access a resource on disk and the most common "fix" for this is to defrag your steam files. Obviously that's meaningless with an SSD but it made me think it had issues accessing it at times.

I did see the audio looping in other games but REALLY rarely so it did make me think it was something beyond the HL2 engine.

As you may or may not know you need to use AHCI instead of SATA with the Intel SSDs so that the OS properly issues the TRIM command to the drive. The microsoft-supplied AHCI driver seemed to be the issue. I went to Intel and installed their AHCI driver and voila! No more audio looping/lag. What a difference!

I figured I'd post in case anyone else was tearing their hair out about this like I was. Like I said in my post above my machine is way overspecced for this game and the drivers were up to date for audio/video so it was making my bonkers!
-OS/2

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:06 am

Thanks for sharing the solution :-) Hate it when the most recent drivers are the wrong ones :-P
-Boss Llama

The Spanish Inquisition
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by The Spanish Inquisition » Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:51 pm

l33tOMGlolz!11!shift wrote:I've had some quite annoying audio stutter/lag as shown by this video. Thankfully it doesn't happen as often as this guy has it. Regardless when it does happen you are dead. It's unreal annoying.

I'm posting this hoping that someone has run into this and found a way to fix it. My google-fu has turned up quite an array of "solutions" but they either a) don't apply to my rig or b) don't do anything.

Here's info on my machine. I just built this thing in April so it's completely overspecced for TF2:
Intel X25-M SSD
Win7-x64
6 GB memory
ATI 5870

HD speed, and resources are not the problem. The old machine I was playing it on before I built this one runs it flawlessly.

I have tried using the "lower process priority" thing, adjusting some client-side cvars, etc and nothing seems to cure it. Any input from anyone that's seen this?

Thanks!
I'm noticing that this is happening to me because a previous hl2.exe and GameOverlay.exe process are still running from the last time I played. The cpu is pegged at 50% (full on for one of the dual cores) when it's stuck in stutter mode. I guess the only solution is to check task manager before you play so you can delete the old zombie processes.
Nobody Expects the Spanish Inquisition!

Fox_Blaze
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Fox_Blaze » Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:57 pm

The Spanish Inquisition wrote:
l33tOMGlolz!11!shift wrote:I've had some quite annoying audio stutter/lag as shown by this video. Thankfully it doesn't happen as often as this guy has it. Regardless when it does happen you are dead. It's unreal annoying.

Intel X25-M SSD
Win7-x64
6 GB memory
ATI 5870

Thanks!
I'm noticing that this is happening to me because a previous hl2.exe and GameOverlay.exe process are still running from the last time I played. The cpu is pegged at 50% (full on for one of the dual cores) when it's stuck in stutter mode. I guess the only solution is to check task manager before you play so you can delete the old zombie processes.
This exact thing was happening to me, so I'll do that next time i plan on playing :D
Thanks Nerevarine King for the banner!
TVC '10-Hale's Angels (3rd place)
TVC '11-League of Evil Villuns (2nd place)[/spoiler]

Rockn-Roll
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Rockn-Roll » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:50 pm

Yeah...I got a black screen with the stutter followed by the blue screen of death. And, I recall the game hanging twice before...some processes may have still been stuck, so I'll check before I play to see if that's what is causing the problem...hopefully Fox_Blaze will as well to see if that's what's causing it. This is something that started after the holiday update, so it's likely an issue that Valve needs to fix.
Let's Rock!

Toba
Villun
Villun
Loading…

Post by Toba » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:48 pm

Anyone having issues with the game booting up lately? I played today at noon with no problems, just got home, and now I get through the Valve intro, then it goes to a loading screen, then it seems to switch to almost windowed mode and freeze at a black screen, showing part of my desk top which I can interact with, but still covering about 3/4 of the screen with a blank black space.

Anyone else?

Peahats
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Peahats » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:59 pm

its seems this is happening with everyone now, and not just tf2, most source games.